Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 25th June 2008, 06:56   #1
BHPian

Default Jeep Marine Speakers and Amp setup, Pics updated in pg5

Folks,
I am in US right now and once I am back (July end), I will get my Jeep back from Kerala.

I had a Alpine Cassette deck (which was upgraded in my Santro), that I am planning to fit in my Jeep.

Phase 1:
1. Fit the Alpine and completely hide it. The Cassette to Aux converter (dont remember the actual name, you play the cassette in Alpine and the aux wire connected to iPod) would be fitted to my iPod. That takes care of the HeadUnit. All my control will be through my iPod (I have my playlist so wont change songs, may be adjust volume)

2. Speakers - This is a CJ3B so I dont have too much, so I am gonna settle with a pair of Oval 3-Way or 2-Way Marine speakers (why marine, you know it leaks when it rains plus offroading), which would be fitted in a fabricated sheet so they cant remove easily.

Need suggestions with this:
I saw Polk/MOMO MMC690 6X9 3-Way, costs 120$.
Polk/MOMO MMC690 6"x9" 3-way car speakers Certified for marine use at Crutchfield.com

1. Is this worth it?
2. DO I really need Marine version (they state Water Resistant not proof)
3. Any other brands and speaker model
4. Do we get these in India? Is the price same in India? Is worth buying it from here or you think I can buy the same in India for same price?

Phase II:
1. Add 2-Channel amp and a small Sub .I am even thinking go for Amp with Aux in so I am remove the headunit and place it there. Is this setup a good option or retain the HU? The reason I think of this is space constraint.

TIA
madbullram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 09:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

JBL has marine speakers, but not sure if they are sold in India. So do a few other companies. If you are in a town with a marina, may be you could scout around there. Your best bet is buying in US. Sure, they are all water resistant (occasional spray, salty conditions, etc.) - they will not play under-water. ;-)

Your plan looks good. There is at least one other thread where there was a discussion on fitting ICE in a jeep. Search the ICE section.

Amplifers like the Blaupunkt 280 or 480 support a direct AUX-IN which can take the iPod EP output.

Last edited by DerAlte : 25th June 2008 at 10:00.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 10:08   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
JBL has marine speakers, but not sure if they are sold in India. So do a few other companies. If you are in a town with a marina, may be you could scout around there. Your best bet is buying in US. Sure, they are all water resistant (occasional spray, salty conditions, etc.) - they will not play under-water. ;-)

Your plan looks good. There is at least one other thread where there was a discussion on fitting ICE in a jeep. Search the ICE section.

Amplifers like the Blaupunkt 280 or 480 support a direct AUX-IN which can take the iPod EP output.
Thanks DerALte.

1. I already have a sony cassette adapter, which I was using with my Alpine (was just explaining my setup)

2. Whats the suggestion on Polk? good brand?

3. Is it worth replacing HU with a Amp...i mean its gonna increase my expense by 3-4K for a good 2-channel amp which can be connected to the 2 speakers. I am thinking 6X9 so I dont have to invest on a Sub.
Old 25th June 2008, 10:32   #4
BHPian

Found two threads, did answers some queries:

1. Amp directly connected to Speakers will reduce SQ
2. Can make a box and fit speakers below the seats

But still need inputs on the speakers and rates and if I get any marine speakers in India...

Last edited by madbullram : 25th June 2008 at 10:43.
Old 25th June 2008, 11:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

even the momo polk audio have marine speakers but they cost around 10-12k
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 15:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
... 2. Whats the suggestion on Polk? good brand?
3. Is it worth replacing HU with a Amp...i mean its gonna increase my expense by 3-4K for a good 2-channel amp which can be connected to the 2 speakers. I am thinking 6X9 so I dont have to invest on a Sub.
Polk is a respectable reputed brand. According to most who have auditioned them, their models are generally 'bright'. Audition them, may be you will like them

If you just want to listen to some music (your jeep environment will not be like a car with windows closed), an HU should do fine. But if you would rather that it goes loud for fun, then you should get an amp.

6x9 will hardly substitute for a sub in the jeep (in a car, maybe), but it will be much better than nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Found two threads, did answers some queries:

1. Amp directly connected to Speakers will reduce SQ
2. Can make a box and fit speakers below the seats

But still need inputs on the speakers and rates and if I get any marine speakers in India...
How else would one connect the amp to the speakers? I think the point was connecting iPod directly to an amp which supports that - no reason why that will reduce SQ.

Of course you could fit the box below the seat (especially in an arrangement where the speakers are looking down to the floor, which will protect the speakers from spillage damage), though I am not sure what kind of an image this will create. You could try it out first.
Old 25th June 2008, 18:29   #7
BHPian

Thanks DerAlte. The other post mentioned if you connect iPod directly to Amp it would reduce SQ compared Amp connected via HU. Thats what I was taking about.

The problem is BestBuy, CIrcuit City doesnt have this I have to buy online using Crutchfield which works out to 130$. Is it worth that price to buy from here...
Old 25th June 2008, 22:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

That's about 5K, not too bad - considering they are the marine models.

SQ wouldn't deteriorate at all. Consider this: when playing through an HU connected to the amp, you have 3 components between the iPod and the amp (EP cable, HU, RCA cable). Now imagine the possibilities of noise creeping in any of these 3. Compare that with only 1 component when you connect direct to amp (EP cable), and the possibility of noise creeping in.
Old 25th June 2008, 22:24   #9
BHPian

I was thinking the same and was wondering why they were saying that. Plus iPod has equalizers if I want to tweak and can always add FM receiver to my iPod to take care of FM in Jeep correct?

How much would a Blau ones with Aux-in cost?
Old 26th June 2008, 12:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Dust could kill your speaker sooner than water. Please check whether Polk Audio's marine speakers have a protection for the gap between the cone and tweeter post.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 12:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

About 6K or less, with b&w.
Old 26th June 2008, 14:51   #12
BHPian

I've susbcribed to Rainbow newsletter from their website.
Here is what I got some time ago....

3. New Waterproof Loudspeakers
Rainbow is offering two new products for outdoor use. With these products the customers can enjoy the Rainbow Sound on boats or on their porch at home.

Rainbow presents a 165mm coaxial system CO-650-WP in a white plastic basket with an integrated grill for the use around salt water. The coaxial woofers are salt water and UV proof. This promises an untarnished Rainbow Sound for years.

For outdoor use we developed the 3-way system SPA 365 WP. The white weatherproof plastic housing is impermeable to splash-water, UV proof and suits perfect on a porch, next to a pool or in a spa.The cone made of polypropylene material offers a powerful Rainbow Sound even outside the car.
You can get the new Loudspeakers at your local Rainbow dealer!

Not sure if you'll get them here or not. But I think in US of A they should be available.
Attached Images

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 26th June 2008 at 14:52.
ScarySkulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 17:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
... suits perfect on a porch, next to a pool or in a spa.The cone made of polypropylene material offers a powerful Rainbow Sound even outside the car. ...
LOL either they want the car to be parked beside the pool / porch or in the spa, or the guy who composed this (not you, @scary) didn't check while cutting and pasting!

Do they have ovals (6x9), in the marine range? ram wanted ovals for the bass, as he has written. The round speakers wouldn't cut it in a jeep for that.
Old 26th June 2008, 17:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
LOL either they want the car to be parked beside the pool / porch or in the spa, or the guy who composed this (not you, @scary) didn't check while cutting and pasting!
hahaha.... nice one!
ScarySkulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 18:33   #15
BHPian

B&T: I read the description on the website couldnt find anything on this, MMC690 Car Audio Speaker from Polk Audio can you explain the concept little bit more on what it is, so I can call them and ask.

Scary: Have never heard of this brand so I am skeptical. Polk Momo have been receiving rave reviews and also they are OE speakers in many boats. So was inclinded towards Polk. Do you have any feedback on Rainbow. Also, like DerAlte pointed out, since I have no plan for woofer immediately, I am looking for a oval may be fired from a 2-channel amp.

DerAlte: Thanks for the rate details, can you tell me which model so can check if its cheaper here

Last edited by madbullram : 26th June 2008 at 18:34.