Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 4th July 2008, 18:37   #1
pt7
BHPian

Default How to identify Genuine stuff (Esp HU)

From a separate post and its reply - I understand that pioneer (Especially 2008 models like 6050 etc) are not available in India through official channels. I talked to a couple of installers / dealers etc and all of them quoted a price without B&W. In this light how does one identify a genuine Pioneer HU?

is there any emblem / 3d hologram ? Just how???

Besides - to be particular - I am thinking of getting myself a DEH-P6050UB model - what to look for when I buy it? (Or is it just that I have to trust my ears or rather the dealer - because i may not even get a demo of the piece before I buy)
pt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 19:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

you can very well ask for a demo. If the guy is genuine, he will give you a demo of the HU.
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 19:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have seen that Most of the dealers will try to sell Music systems without B&W. Saves them tax i guess. And they even offer discounts for it.

I have myself installed a Pioneer without B&W. Since I had installed it from a dealer who was a close friend of my Brother, I was sure about the product being genuine and was fine without B&W.

Moreover, since the product is not being sold in India Officially, it has to be from the Gray market. No product from Gray market comes with Bill.
If you want the same product, you will have to trust the dealer and go without B&W, as it will not be available with any dealer.

Best would be to go for a dealer well known in the market. You can ask for references from friend/relatives and even T-Bhpians who have installed from the same dealer (someone who's done it without B&W).

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 4th July 2008 at 19:33. Reason: spelling mistake
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 19:42   #4
BHPian

You could look for the company sticker, barcode and serial no. Also see if there are any signs of usage, like scratches fingermarks etc.

However, theres no definite sign to look for. The best way is to go buy from someone who's doing large volumes, ask around on the forum and you'll get names of quite a few good shops.

And if possible take someone with experience when u go to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt7 View Post
From a separate post and its reply - I understand that pioneer (Especially 2008 models like 6050 etc) are not available in India through official channels. I talked to a couple of installers / dealers etc and all of them quoted a price without B&W. In this light how does one identify a genuine Pioneer HU?

is there any emblem / 3d hologram ? Just how???

Besides - to be particular - I am thinking of getting myself a DEH-P6050UB model - what to look for when I buy it? (Or is it just that I have to trust my ears or rather the dealer - because i may not even get a demo of the piece before I buy)

Last edited by adityamunshi : 4th July 2008 at 19:46.
adityamunshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 20:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

The best thing you can do is go to authorised dealers of the various companies and trust them
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 20:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

The chances of a fake Pio 6050 are rare. the stuff you get is grey market(ie the original stuff minus bill/warranty) . the lower end stuff is all available as the X090 equivalents
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 20:42   #7
pt7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
The chances of a fake Pio 6050 are rare. the stuff you get is grey market(ie the original stuff minus bill/warranty) . the lower end stuff is all available as the X090 equivalents
What is X090 (Sorry if I am being)

On a separate note - has anyone ever come across a 'fake pio' HU and how did they figure it out (Apart from the obvious pianer etc stuff - which is pretty evident)
pt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 21:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

the indian versions of the 2050/3050/4050 are launched as the 2090/3090/4090 etc, so X090, where X is a variable :P
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 22:32   #9
BANNED

As far as my experience says, there're hardly any identical fake HU in India. The fakes are very easy to understand here. The appearance itself will be very shoddy and poorly finished.
You don't need any rocket science to make them out.

If you want a HU which is authorisedly sold in India by Pioneer, then you can just ask for a bill and warranty card. Also make sure the dealer fills it according to the instructions enclosed.
HUs that doesn't come authorisedly to our country are known as grey ones. Nothing different from the authorised ones but for the taxes and duties paid to the government of India.

Taxes and duties costs a lot in our country you know. So to reduce the costs, there're lots of people who import in many different ways evading the full taxes (like bringing the face, cd assembly separately and classifying it as spare parts etc.. if the fully assembled HU attracts 35% duties, the spare parts, SKD HUs will only attract 15% duties).

As said earlier, buy from a known dealer even if it's a bit costlier or buy with B&W.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 22:59   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt7 View Post
I understand that pioneer (Especially 2008 models like 6050 etc) are not available in India through official channels
...because i may not even get a demo of the piece before I buy)
At least in Hyderabad, I have seen demoed pioneers fixed to the wooden structure whatever it is called. And I remember having seen a 6050 (or maybe 6090 - not sure) and these are all with b&w and one year insurance - costing about 2.5 k higher than grey.
Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 23:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Also, in my limited experience, the newest models are rarely found used or fakes...

Reason: Not enough time after launch for duplication and distribution.
AbhiJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 19:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Good topic!!

It makes sense to buy from dealer only if we are going for authorized stuff. Dealer stamp on the warranty card and bill are required from the dealer to claim warranty.

It does not make sense to buy grey goods from dealer unless a person does not know where to source the grey stuff. The fast moving electronic goods can be easily sourced from grey market.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2008, 12:35   #13
BHPian

only solution i can think of is going to authorized dealers. Websites generally mention them for every city.

BTW 6050 = 6090 in India. Its available through pioneer India
Comrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 11:42   #14
BHPian

Friends, Have a look at this....
shreyasma is offline   Reply With Quote