Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2008, 14:25   #1
BHPian
 
mshooli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 138
Thanked: 6 Times
Smile ICEing the Magnum

I am new to the world of ICE upgrades and have been mainly learning about this topic via Team-Bhp. Thanks to all of you for sharing the tons of information on this site.

The discussions on this forum, basically left me with making a choice between two installation pundits Anwar and Satya. I decided to go with Satya (Blueraven). Deciding factor was proximity to my place.

Regarding which brand of speakers to choose, I was confused. Thought of even considering Bull Audio. But finally took Satya's advise on the speakers since I am a novice in this area.

The Judgement Day is here. I finally dropped off my car at Satya's place today before heading off to work. Currently the work is in progress and it is going to be a complete JBL setup. I am replacing the front stock speakers with components, adding an amp and a sub. This is the first phase of my upgrade. Second phase will include changing rear speakers and replacing my existing HU.

Will keep you all posted once the installation is done.
mshooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 14:55   #2
BHPian
 
dinu2506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 788
Thanked: 320 Times
Default

All the best for the upgrade. I really would want to audition the JBL Power series components.
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 19:57   #3
BHPian
 
mnhegde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B E N G A L U R U
Posts: 473
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

@ Mshooli : welcome to the world of ICE. wish you a great Ice set up.
mnhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 20:21   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
PatienceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,157
Thanked: 261 Times
Default

All the Best!!

Did you go for the power series components from JBL?
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2008, 01:31   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
rider60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bhagyanagaram. (A.K.A. Hyderabad)
Posts: 1,619
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
All the best for the upgrade. I really would want to audition the JBL Power series components.

hey who said any thing about the power series, he just said its going to be a complete jbl setup not power series, man dont get me excited to that level yet!

you know mate this is ICE, so when the going gets big its all just excitement pure and plane excitement! thats all.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2008, 12:50   #6
BHPian
 
dinu2506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 788
Thanked: 320 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
hey who said any thing about the power series, he just said its going to be a complete jbl setup not power series, man dont get me excited to that level yet!

you know mate this is ICE, so when the going gets big its all just excitement pure and plane excitement! thats all.
Sorry for not mentioning, he's known to me, so i know the setup he is going for. Yes, it is power series components.
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2008, 14:00   #7
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: India
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Is this the first JBL Power series install in team-bhp?
Would be nice to see a feedback about it.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2008, 18:41   #8
BHPian
 
mshooli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 138
Thanked: 6 Times
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Is this the first JBL Power series install in team-bhp?
Not sure if this is the first set up in team-bhp. But for sure this is Satya's (Blueraven) first installation of the Power series. The installation went up late in the night yesterday. Neat installation. Thanks to Satya and team for the clean job. It sounds great and but is still not up to the full mark. Thanks to my HU

I had a Sony MEX-BT2500 bluetooth HU but this did not have any pre-outs. So Satya tried to get it going by using the line output converter. However this was still not fetching us the desired results. So decided to upgrade the HU itself. Will try for the JVC KD-AVX33. If we get it tomorrow then will get it installed tomorrow itself.

For now this is the config I have;

Components - JBL Power Series
Amp: JBL GT5-A604
Sub: GT5-12

Apart from changing the HU, need to get some basic damping also done.

Will keep you all posted on the progress of this. I cannot give a good feedback on the Power series in comparison with other speakers as I have not listened to much of the other brands. However will ask Blueraven to give us more feedback on this as he is the expert in this area.
mshooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 12:01   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
rider60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bhagyanagaram. (A.K.A. Hyderabad)
Posts: 1,619
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

hey you are going to power the power series components with a GT5 amp?
i was hoping at least the GTO series amps to power them, or higher.

no offense meant but what good are the speakers when you drive lesser power through them, they wouldnt perform to the brim. Instead why not get the GTO series components itself?
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 12:31   #10
BHPian
 
dinu2506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 788
Thanked: 320 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
hey you are going to power the power series components with a GT5 amp?
i was hoping at least the GTO series amps to power them, or higher.

no offense meant but what good are the speakers when you drive lesser power through them, they wouldnt perform to the brim. Instead why not get the GTO series components itself?
I would not say it is totally mismatched. The power rating for P660C components is 90W RMS and its a 2 ohm impedence speaker. The GT5 amp pumps out 80W RMS at 2 ohms, which is quite good
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 13:25   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
rider60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bhagyanagaram. (A.K.A. Hyderabad)
Posts: 1,619
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
I would not say it is totally mismatched. The power rating for P660C components is 90W RMS and its a 2 ohm impedence speaker. The GT5 amp pumps out 80W RMS at 2 ohms, which is quite good

okay thats just fine, by the rule of the thumb which i learnt here on tbhp is the speakers should always be lesser powered than the amp, because when you play good mid basses like techno or trance the driver will need that kind of power, the driver goes up when we give it power and goes back to normal position in a few milliseconds and the amp needs to have that extra power to supply it with the power at those milliseconds, going by this i went in for the GTO series comps other wise i was always for the power series too!

even the GTO series are 2ohm stable ones and the GTO 607C is 70W rms at 2 ohms AFAIK. and my amp gives out about 140W RMS at 2 ohms!

well next time i am in bangalore lets meet up and check out the setups say what so that we clarify and audition the setups first hand for us to know?

JBL Car & Marine Audio


i dint find any p660c, i found only p650c, speakers and these are at 4ohm and 90w rms, i think its a mismatch, if not can you provide me the link to the p660c?

i was searching in the Indian site by the way!

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th July 2008 at 12:48.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 13:38   #12
BHPian
 
mshooli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 138
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
okay thats just fine, by the rule of the thumb which i learnt here on tbhp is the speakers should always be lesser powered than the amp, because when you play good mid basses like techno or trance the driver will need that kind of power, the driver goes up when we give it power and goes back to normal position in a few milliseconds and the amp needs to have that extra power to supply it with the power at those milliseconds, going by this i went in for the GTO series comps other wise i was always for the power series too!
Well since I am new to this world of upgrades, I just discussed the types of music I listen to, with Blueraven. Based on that he suggested a few configs to me and I narrowed down on this one as it was quite within my budget. I listen to at pretty low volumes (usually 10) and at this volume, it sounds good.

Yes we can have an audition when you are in BLR the next time. Hope to have my HU changed by then so that we get the true picture.
mshooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 13:44   #13
BHPian
 
redfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago, The Windy City
Posts: 444
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

India site doesn't have p660c listed. But it is 90W @ 2ohms. Here is the link. So, is p660c available here?

JBL Car & Marine Audio
redfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 13:59   #14
BHPian
 
dinu2506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 788
Thanked: 320 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
India site doesn't have p660c listed. But it is 90W @ 2ohms. Here is the link. So, is p660c available here?

JBL Car & Marine Audio
Yes, it is. Not sure whether it is with B/W
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 14:25   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
rider60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bhagyanagaram. (A.K.A. Hyderabad)
Posts: 1,619
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
India site doesn't have p660c listed. But it is 90W @ 2ohms. Here is the link. So, is p660c available here?

JBL Car & Marine Audio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Yes, it is. Not sure whether it is with B/W

okay so its available in grey here, where did you guys buy it at satya's place?
any way i surely want an audition of it.

and for the further upgrades if i do any i will surely keep this in mind.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ICEing Up Getz Prime k10 In-Car Entertainment 17 16th October 2008 14:50
vRs ICEING - Badly Need Help abhinav.gupta88 In-Car Entertainment 117 7th October 2008 13:50
i10 ICEing help biggy In-Car Entertainment 3 28th August 2008 21:37
ICEing Baleno.. pl jump in to help Merlin In-Car Entertainment 17 30th November 2007 13:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks