Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 8th July 2008, 20:29   #1
VEA
BHPian

Default Stock speaker upgrade on Hyundai Tucson

Hello everyone. I have recently got a used Hyundai Tucson. It seems the previous user had installed a high end audio system which was removed prior to sale. He then installed the stock head unit and speakers back into the car. I now find that sound is very heavy with treble, mids are okay and bass very weak (very weak that it sounds like a mobile phone speaker). I am not really sure if it is the problem with the stock audio system or a poor re-installation. I also doubt if they have put back wrong speakers in the car.

Anyone here has experience with tucson stock audio system? Is it observed in all tucsons? Will the bass improve (i expect only normal bass like in any other stock audio setup) if i change the speakers? I want to keep original head unit for its large display and functionality. Please help me out.
VEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 13:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

First, you need to do some investigation. Whether you dirty your hands or get someone to do it is left to you - but at least you have to remove the speakers and check.

1. What speakers are mounted in the mid-bass location (make / model of the large speaker in the door)?
2. Whether the wire is connected properly at the speaker terminals (whether it is soldered or twisted or connected with a connector)?
3. What are the equalizer (bass, treble, loudness etc.) setting set on your HU?
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 21:56   #3
VEA
BHPian

Thanks. The HU bass is set to full while treble is set to neutral. I have already checked the speakers and they are unmarked. There is no brand marked on it. I sought the help of a expert installer who told me the speakers seems to be of good quality and would most probably be stock ones.
VEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 12:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

I had a doubt whether the mid-bass drivers are connected at all, going by your description ("like mobile speakers").

The obvious first step is to replace the speakers - components in front, coax in the rear doors. To get a feel of what is possible, connect with the Kochi TBHPians and audition the various speaker brands and models in their cars. Let you ears decide which sound signature is best for you. All other information is available in the ICE section - you just have to search.

I would recommend you go step by step: change speakers, then think of adding an amp to drive them, then a sub if you need one, and lastly the HU if there is a limitation.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote