Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 12th July 2008, 21:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Satya good work man.This has already been done by Satya on my colleagues car a couple of months back. I was mighty impressed with the rear quarter panel speaker mounting thingy and so was my friend.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 21:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

neat work.. but i have some questions

1. The rear 6x9s are placed high up. Does it not affect the SQ? It might sound thrashy too. Or are you passing it through a LPF?

2. What sub are you using and doesnt the driver get the thump up his backside all the time. Why didnt you try the spare wheel hub? Size or constraints?

Neat job overall though! COngrats.
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 21:45   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Satya good work man.This has already been done by Satya on my colleagues car a couple of months back. I was mighty impressed with the rear quarter panel speaker mounting thingy and so was my friend.
Riju this was done atleast 6 months ago, I just posted the pics now...anyways I think this is the first WagonR on the forum to have this kind of an install along with an underseat subwoofer and totally saving boot space :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
neat work.. but i have some questions

1. The rear 6x9s are placed high up. Does it not affect the SQ? It might sound thrashy too. Or are you passing it through a LPF?

2. What sub are you using and doesnt the driver get the thump up his backside all the time. Why didnt you try the spare wheel hub? Size or constraints?

Neat job overall though! COngrats.
1. I have never heard of a loss in SQ levels because the speaker is placed a little higher. It is just around 3-4 inches higher than a parcel tray install. And how will it affect SQ? I leave this question to be answered by Satya

2. The sub used is a 10" JBL, so it doesnt thump the butts much ;-)
gopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 22:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu View Post
Just a thought: Isn't the quarter glass important? If no, why has the manufacturer put it in the first place?
It's also useful when you recline the rear seat all the way back...you get to see the outside world without feeling claustrophobic.
However, I'm not sure if current WagonRs have this feature of reclining rear seats.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 23:05   #20
pt7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
It's also useful when you recline the rear seat all the way back...you get to see the outside world without feeling claustrophobic.
However, I'm not sure if current WagonRs have this feature of reclining rear seats.

I guess you are right - current wagon Rs dont have this - especially the ones with LPG as there is the spare wheel hogging the boot space.

Nice install overall - I had a similar question on the rear glass speaker install...

1 - The rear speaker might just be too near to the backseat passengers - rather might be annoying if too bright...Besides since there is a Sub - the rear speakers would be passed thorugh HPF anyway - that could make it too bright?

2 - Did i hear someone asking ' LPF ' for rear speakers? Why?

3 - I have a different setup in my Wagon R - though cant claim to be as space saving - but overall similar - and without even getting doors modified - will pst pics tomorrow...
pt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 23:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

@gopz:
1)
Great job! Its not something one manages to see everyday.

2)
However, during the installation, were any structural members modified ?
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 11:01   #22
BHPian

@ pt7 : waiting for your pics friend.
@ gopz: If you dont mind, can we have the pics of underseat woofer please???
mnhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 11:17   #23
BHPian

Buddies sorry I dont have a pic of the sub, but check this thread, it is similar to this, except that its a 10" driver in the WagonR:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...tml#post572959
gopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 14:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post

1. I have never heard of a loss in SQ levels because the speaker is placed a little higher. It is just around 3-4 inches higher than a parcel tray install. And how will it affect SQ? I leave this question to be answered by Satya
The placement of speakers in a car is very important to the SQ. I have personally experimented with various setups and positions to say this.

BTW, satya, whats your take on this. WOuld be glad to understand it better!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 15:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The placement of speakers in a car is very important to the SQ. I have personally experimented with various setups and positions to say this.

BTW, satya, whats your take on this. WOuld be glad to understand it better!
Acoustics is everything in a audio system, in a high end audio system, it can make or break the sound despite of good install quality.
Loss of SQ is when speakers are mounted in any position where the sound is cut off from the people in the vehicle, which is not the case here, with some tweaks on the HU settings these speakers IMO sound better than being on a parcel tray, due to being in a almost sealed and carpet and foam damped inside the speaker does not sound that loud and harsh, mids and lows along with irritating highs can become very disturbing for the rear passenger, hence we dont prefer install very bright sounding speakers on this mounting.
blueraven316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 16:06   #26
BANNED

Good install. Finished with some good quality work.

But sorry to say this, the 6X9s in the rear quarter glass doesn't cut in.
1. With the 10" sub in the car, there's no need for a set of 6X9s. As this install is about boasting the space saving capabilities, this was the first thing which should've stayed out. I'm sure Blueraven should've advised about this.
2. The positioning is really annoying. I had sat in the rear seat of some cars with a similar setup. It is a damn Dhin-chak on the eardrums and nothing else. If it's not like that in this car, then please explain how did you achieve it.
3. Isn't there some good space under the rear seats of a wagonR? Where the amp(s) can sit more comfortable?

And answering the question in the thread title, it's a big echoing YES.
Sorry, Gopz!
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 16:25   #27
BHPian

@ speedzak : 6x9 " have become an integral part of ICE. so one wouldnt think of shedding it. Some feel annoying and some like it. It is purely personal opinions. Parcel tray is removed, space saved. You might have listened and not liked it (doesnt suit your taste. simple!) . In Which cars did you see such set up and disliked it??? As satya mentioned in his post, It all depends on how you do settings on the HU brother. Bright sounding speakers is a strict no no. All dhin chhak at bay buddy. .
mnhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 17:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Good install. Finished with some good quality work.

1. With the 10" sub in the car, there's no need for a set of 6X9s. As this install is about boasting the space saving capabilities, this was the first thing which should've stayed out. I'm sure Blueraven should've advised about this.
I am having the same doubt with respect to my upgrade in Getz. Currently I have Alpine components in the front and 6x9 co-axials at the back. I am going to put Alpine 9887 HU and IDQ 12" subwoofer. Should I replace my 6x9 with round coaxials? I do not want bass to overpower the SQ in my setup.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 17:31   #29
BANNED

6X9s were always/is supposed to be used in a scenario where a sub is not possible in the the install. Especially in a hatch/estate.

@Hydra. Best wagonR install?
Ok. You're talking about the front soundstage? I absolutely agree.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 17:53   #30
JPL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I am having... SQ in my setup.
Yes please. Not just the overpowering bass (if you have a 4ch amp you can tone down the 6x9 or use the fader) however as B mentions in one of his posts that why would one want sound to be predominant from the rear (on the same lines).

IMHO replace the 6x9's with the stock size coaxial's or HPF the rear (if not already done) and reduce the gain, sit on the rear seat and adjust accordingly and keep experimenting !!
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote