Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 22nd July 2008, 12:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forged_Piston View Post
I could not understand the logic behind this as the amp is directly connected to the battery and the only connection the HU has with the amp is the two wires connecting the preamp 'out' to the 'in' plugs on the amp.
Make that three wires. You missed the remote/ turn-on wire.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 13:12   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Make that three wires. You missed the remote/ turn-on wire.
Oh is there such a wire.sorry didnt no about that.i am new to this and have only started fiddling with the ice after my HU got nicked.So i dont exactly no how the HU is connected to the amp.

Is this it?
Name:  JBL.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  9.1 KB

But my question remains is there a way to power up the amp without a HU?
Forged_Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 15:36   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But my question remains is there a way to power up the amp without a HU?
Why would you want to do that? In any case you can use an external on off switch on your dash to power up the amp.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 15:52   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Why would you want to do that?
In any case you can use an external on off switch on your dash to power up the amp.
I wanted to connect my psp directly to the amp till i can collect enough cash for a good HU.
I was planing to customise a stand for the psp and mount it temporarily where the HU's supposed to be or on the dash so i could get both audio and video in the car.

How do i power up the amp? what should i connect to the 'rem' input on the amp?as of now without the HU it does not power up.according to my understanding its because something needs to be connected to the remote on, on the amp.What is that??
Old 22nd July 2008, 17:01   #20
BHPian

I was just browising through the classifields.theres this Sony xm-xd51x amp out there for around 7g's.
I personally am not too keen on using anything that has xplod or sony written on it but the price i must say is pretty attractive.Will this amp give enough high quality juice say compared to a jbl bloc?i'm planning to run 2* 12" 1200 watt GTO subs off it.
Old 23rd July 2008, 10:40   #21
BHPian

Ok I checked out the wire bunch of the head unit last night.Basically there are 3 wires which are related to power supply.red,black and blue.
red is for the power supply(+ve) black is for earthing and blue is for the the remote turn on.
Is this right??or am i missing something?
My main aim here is that the amp should powerup without the head unit.(Will be getting my HU next week.just doing this to keep me busy after work)

Tried connecting the blue wire to the red still no results.What am i doing wrong??

Please,Gurus advise Please.
Old 23rd July 2008, 13:15   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I wanted to connect my psp directly to the amp till i can collect enough cash for a good HU.
How do i power up the amp?
either use the PSP's remote to power up the amp or add a swtich on your dash to power up the amp.

Quote:
I personally am not too keen on using anything that has xplod or sony written on it but the price i must say is pretty attractive.
I dont think you need to write off all Sony products. I have used the XM-SD61X to good effect to power a sub.

Quote:
red is for the power supply(+ve) black is for earthing and blue is for the the remote turn on.
why not connect the blue wire to the remote terminal of the amp.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 13:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
either use the PSP's remote to power up the amp.
What remote??

Quote:
or add a swtich on your dash to power up the amp.
I could add a switch on the dash.But the question of the blue wire (remote on) still remains.what should i connect here to power up the amp???

Quote:
I dont think you need to write off all Sony products. I have used the XM-SD61X to good effect to power a sub..
Oh well ok...What i meant was, is that amp enough to power 2 12"
300 watt gto's

Quote:
why not connect the blue wire to the remote terminal of the amp.
Tried doing that.nothing!!!Remember, theres no hu to power the other end of the blue wire!!
Old 23rd July 2008, 13:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... add a swtich on your dash to power up the amp....
PSP will not be able to supply a signal to turn the amp on. Navin's above method should work: add a switch on your dash, one end connected to 12V, other end to the amp remote turn-on. When you want to listen to music, put this switch on. The amp is already connected to battery, but will not switch on unless you put this switch on.

Doubt: Please check with the amp manual first, whether the Remote Turn-on input needs 12V or 0V (ground) connection to function. If 0V then one end of the switch should be connected to the nearest ground point, instead of 12V.

PS: That blue wire functions when there is an HU, i.e. it is controlled by the HU.

Last edited by DerAlte : 23rd July 2008 at 13:53.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote