Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 7th August 2008, 20:04   #1

Default Please help improve sound quality.

i just bought a new honda city gxi model and decided to go in with the following config.

1. head unit : did no changes with it ,i am using the company fitted HU alpine (CDE-9871EHI)

2. JBL 637 at the back

3. JBL 607 component speakers at the front

4. KENWOOD KAC-8401 (4-channel amp)

i got everything installed from a reputed shop in delhi (DRIVEN) but still i am not happy with the sound quality. The clarity is good but somehow i feel that the treble is way too high while there is no bass atall . What should i do to get that thump which is missing.
I spoke to a friend of mine who suggested me to go in for a JBL bass tube but i am confused .
One more thing do i need to change my head unit or should i stick with this one .
Looking forward to the replies of all the GURUS pls help!!!!
nishant.mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 20:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Did you come away from Driven without getting your setup tuned to your taste? You must have been in a tearing hurry to give up on that important part!
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 20:22   #3

it was getting really late i had already spent 6 hrs there and to be really frank i wasnt happy with the installation ..the installer actually damaged my dash board which is why i was really frustrated ...and Mr. rana had tried his level best to tune the system but in vain he could not ...i know even i am at fault but somehow i want to set thngs right now

is the config fine ...should i go in for the gto 937 at the back , should i change my head unit ,install a bass tube or tuning of the system will solve my problem ????

Last edited by aah78 : 7th August 2008 at 22:03. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 7th August 2008, 20:40   #4
BHPian

u can try this set your equalizer option to custom setting ,and in custom setting try adjusting the frequency controls one by one it might work . gurus, correct if i am wrong
nithz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 21:25   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Since you claim that the install was bad, you must check to see if the phasing of the speakers is correct.
If the phase is wrong, all the bass will will cancelled, leaving the higher frequencies.

If you do not want to go back to Driven, here is what I suggest.

Put the fader completely to the rear.
Now go to the balance control. Go completely left, then centre, then completely right. When in the centre, the bass should be highest. It should reduce as you either go left, or right.

If the bass seems LEAST when you are in the centre, the phase is incorrect.

Now go to the boot of the car and reverse ONE speaker wire only. Just ONE, not both. Reverse the wire. Put the red to the black and black to the red.

Then go back into the car and see if the bass has improved. Let us know.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 21:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

sam..you beat me to it..was just gonna say that
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 21:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quite possible... could also be the HPF on the amp, it may be turned up too high.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 22:49   #8

thanks sam ill try what you suggested and see if it works .....gunbir sir i have heard a lot about you if things still dont get any better then it would be very nice of you if i could meet you somewhere and have the problem rectified
Old 7th August 2008, 23:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Bro where do you live in FBD we can meet up and I could help you in tuning your setup.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 23:20   #10

hii that would be great,ill be more than happy if i could see you.I live in sector 16A,give me your address and contact no ill get in touch with you.Thanks a lot bro
Old 7th August 2008, 23:37   #11

sam , i tried what you said and there is a very funny thing i noticed i put the fader compeletely to the rear but there was hardly any change in the sound and then comes the funny part when i put the balace compeletely to the right my (right front speaker was working) and when i put the balance compeletly to the left my (left rear speaker was working) how is that possible
Old 8th August 2008, 00:21   #12
BHPian

Lightbulb alternate option

try this go to the boot and on the amp shut off both the cut off frequencies you would only need the filters IF you bought a sub and a separate amp. second there is a lil knob there that lets you control the bass boost. turn it up just a little. now all this time you have to keep your volume constant to the level you listen to. also the head has to be on flat eq and no bass mid or treble boost. now once you feel you are getting sufficient punch from the speakers close boot and fiddle with the eq. that should do the trick. but as a suggestion try putting in 6x9 in the back say a 3-way or a 4-way set. if you do want to kill your wallet you could pick up a new head which comes with 3 pre-outs thats sub, front and rear and then take up a sub and an amp. but thats just overkill if its only passive listening which is what im presuming you use it for.
valhallen.282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 03:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant.mi View Post
thanks sam ill try what you suggested and see if it works .....gunbir sir i have heard a lot about you if things still dont get any better then it would be very nice of you if i could meet you somewhere and have the problem rectified
Nishant, I will be @ Driven sometime tomorrow evening. I would be glad to tune your setup... Do give the installer a chance to set your system right. Mistakes happen, give them a chance to correct it.

Last edited by gunbir : 8th August 2008 at 03:49.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 15:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant.mi View Post
then comes the funny part when i put the balace compeletely to the right my (right front speaker was working) and when i put the balance compeletly to the left my (left rear speaker was working) how is that possible
Your wiring is not done properly. The front/ rear outputs have been wrongly connected. You will have to check whether the RCAs are incorrectly plugged into the amp, or the speakers are connected to the wrong outputs.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 16:00   #15
BANNED

Your wiring is wrong bro!
Get in touch with the Installer itself. As you've paid him money, it becomes his responsibility to make you satisfied for what you've spent.
Now, as Gunbir has agreed to look into your system, fix up a time and meet up at DRIVEN itself. You'll be very happy with the outcome I'm sure.
Mr. Rana will also be happy that he hasn't harmed a customer's feelings.

As you're in Free da bad, stay away from that mad Sardar who has one of the loudest setup in India. He will shake your car with his BAAASS and chew you down for lunch. The minimum effect one will inherit from his is a 15" hard pounder in a ported box.
Jokes apart, your system needs an urgent attention.

I would suggest you to add a 12" sub in a sealed box and power it from 2 bridged channels of your amp. The rear coaxials can be powered from the HU and the components can be powered from the 2channels of the amp.
Do all these while Gunbir is around and under his supervision. But remember, he charges unlimited Kababs and Fosters in return I assume! LOL!
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote