Default ICE for SX4 (Amplifier problem)

Hi,

Below is my config.
HU = pioneer 5950
Front speaker = Polk MMC6500
Rear Speaker = Polk MMC 690
Amplifier = Jbl CS60.4 + Jbl GTO 3501
Sub Woofer = Polk DB124 (12")

I went to a car accesory shop located in koramangala near reheja archade behind axis bank atm (dont want to name him) under the impressoin that he would have been an expert.

After about 7 hours, only the cables were run through my sx4 and the amps powered up. INitially he did not connect the mono amp, every thing sounded great.It was running fine for some time say about 30 mts, While he was connecting my mono amp, some dhup sound came and the jbl cs60.4 stopped working properly. We though may be battey was a problem, but no it was not, we verified that. If i increase the sound on head unit to its peak, i can hear prrrr prrr dhoop prrrrrrrrr kind of very low noice. Finally i got fed up at around night 11 watching them doing R&D on my car, i asked them to connect speaker direcltly to HU, it was sounding well. So it was confirmed that something could be wrong with the Amp. He gave me demo blapunct amp and i left home around 3 am as nothing could be done. Next day, also he was not able to fix the problem with the amp,

I paid him 50K, (price excluding jbl 60.4 and subwoofer) inclusing the autocop which he said it can detect even a mosquitoe flying inside

Do you guys know how it feels to spend half a lack on the car and yet hear no sound
Anybody seens such a problem with the amp, please help me sort this out. I am not going to that shop again, please guide me to some good jbl service

I am totally worried on this lost two day sleep,

dear co drivers Kindly help me sort this out.

Thanks

Last edited by DerAlte : 18th August 2008 at 10:35. Reason: Only 2 smileys allowed per post. Please read the forum rules first.
anand4linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2008, 23:47   #2
BHPian

I feel really sorry for the situation, after spending half a lakh. Ask the dealer repay the amount, if they don't then ask them to remove all the wires and do a fresh installation.
Audio gurus might give you better suggestion.
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2008, 23:58   #3
Team-BHP Support

Sorry for the situation Anand. And though your frustration is immense, please refrain from using more than two smilies per post.

You may want to go through this.

Team-BHP - Announcements in Forum : Announcements
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 00:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

I am really sorry for you and understand how you feel.

I would recommend you to go to a reputed shop who understand ICE. It is better to get good quality installation by paying the price from professionals instead of getting it free without doing justice to the equipments and it might doing damage to the car you love. I have also learnt this lesson the hard way from Koramangala, I used to stay there before. Most of the shops do not care for you once you pay the amount.

I visit Auto Fusion in Koramangala for my ICE needs. There is a thread on auto accessory shops in Bangalore. Go through that and get it checked from a reputed and recommended shop.

All the Best!!
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 00:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Just PM blueraven316 on the forum our very own Satya he owns a shop "EVO" he will guide you for a perfect system installation for your car.

Please read the announcement,only 2 x smilies allowed per post.
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 07:02   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand4linux View Post
Hi,
While he was connecting my mono amp, some dhup sound came and the jbl cs60.4 stopped working properly. We though may be battey was a problem, but no it was not, we verified that. If i increase the sound on head unit to its peak, i can hear prrrr prrr dhoop prrrrrrrrr kind of very low noice.
This DHUP sound may be that something problematic at your amp's, input stage(temporary short circuit). Check wires between HU and AMP and near the Amp check for any short circuit.

Take the amp outside of Car and then test separately. Because if it has some issue then can be cornered. No need to do R&D inside car because only few steps required to be carried out inside Car.

That's my two cents!

[My worst fear is that guy might have sent you amp to smoke, by shorting something.]
omishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 10:17   #7

Thanks guys, getting some relief now. Can you guide me to the link having info on jbl service center in bangalore. I think i must get the amps checked by pros, so that i am not risking more of my circuit. When tested with another blapunct amp, it is working, so i think he must have smoked my amp.

Sorry guys for multi usage of smileys.

Thanks
Anand
Old 18th August 2008, 10:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Go to Sound Factor, Lavelle Road (corner building near the circle on Vitthal Mallya Road) - they should be able to help diagnose the problem.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 11:05   #9
BHPian

Satya, I believe you need to show your magic in here with your hands. PM Satya and he should be able to guide you.
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 15:08   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand4linux View Post
Amplifier = Jbl CS60.4 + Jbl GTO 3501
After about 7 hours, only the cables were run through my sx4 and the amps powered up. INitially he did not connect the mono amp, every thing sounded great.It was running fine for some time say about 30 mts, While he was connecting my mono amp, some dhup sound came and the jbl cs60.4 stopped working properly.
was your installer connecting the mono amp while the 60.4 was driving the front and rear speakers? if so this is a strict no no. you cannot work on ICE and listen to it at the same time.

if you are lucky, it might just be the fuses in the amp that have blown.

It does not take 7 hours to run 4 RCA wires in an SX4. I have seen installers do complete installs including some minor damping in less tme.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 23:21   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
was your installer connecting the mono amp while the 60.4 was driving the front and rear speakers? if so this is a strict no no. you cannot work on ICE and listen to it at the same time.

if you are lucky, it might just be the fuses in the amp that have blown.

It does not take 7 hours to run 4 RCA wires in an SX4. I have seen installers do complete installs including some minor damping in less tme.

Yeah navin i made a biggest mistake in life by trusting him. HE was running the other amp, while powering the mono, Only mid way he told me that he is doing a momo installation for the first time. Any way tomorrow i am taking to the jbl service, and see whether this amp can be fixed. Other wise i will have to go for a new one. This guy glamour car is a polk audi dealer and he gave me mmc6500 about 50% discount, hardly to know later that i was being trapped. . He looks good for some basic install, but 0% for a slightly higher end.
Old 18th August 2008, 23:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Most amps however bad the frying is can be fixed. Dont worry this can be fixed by a decent technician.
blueraven316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 23:59   #13
BHPian

IF blueraven aka satya says can be done, It can be done. PM Him for details.
CorsaLove is offline   Reply With Quote