Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
HU - CD 7200 MKII (Around 420$)
Amp - JL 450/4 V2 (Around 480$)
Nice combo! *boy i am wicked*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I'd take a good source over anything else. Period.
Ivor Tiefenbrun will be proud.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 13:10   #107
Senior - BHPian

oh..ok, I'd go with what i said, bring it down from US

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Nice combo! *boy i am wicked*

Ivor Tiefenbrun will be proud.
NavinJi,

Ever since i said of my ICE upgrade plan, My wife is treating me like an Alien, Now any further advice taken would result in she pushing me into an asylum

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd October 2009 at 13:27. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 14:43   #108
BHPian

Nice to know you picked the eclipse 7200 MKII. I envy you and Frank and whoever else who owns one of these!!!!
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 15:24   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last heard it was 36-38 k. Not worth that much imho. 25-30 is a good price to pay for it.. People comin from usa can get it for about 27k. I paid duty on mine so it came to about 30k. Still, the Sound quality from this one cannot be beaten by other head units within that range. Bluetooth is buggy, so is the interface. But its still the best head unit MY money can buy!
Hey Frank,

Did you buy yours online or did someone get it down for you?

The Alpine CDA-9887 is available for $320 including shipping, the Pioneer Premier DEH-P800PRS for $370 including shipping & the Eclipse CD7200 MKII is available for $400 inclusing shipping on Onlinecarstereo.Com - Wholesale Car Audio/Stereo Deals At Bargain Prices

If I buy any one of these, will I have to pay duty in Mumbai?
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 15:45   #110
BHPian

Yes you will have to pay duty if the seller sends it directly to you. Instead, have some one carry it for you from USA and usually the customs do not stop anyone carrying a car head unit. I got my Clarion delivered to me this way
SPARKled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 15:46   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Yes, unless your package slips through the Customs' eye . The current duty on electronics is around 37.5% (some say around 40%) on landed cost (purchase price + shipping costs + insurance if any).
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 16:06   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Frank,

Did you buy yours online or did someone get it down for you?

The Alpine CDA-9887 is available for $320 including shipping, the Pioneer Premier DEH-P800PRS for $370 including shipping & the Eclipse CD7200 MKII is available for $400 inclusing shipping on Onlinecarstereo.Com - Wholesale Car Audio/Stereo Deals At Bargain Prices

Dont think Online car stero is that trustworthy, I mean atleast in terms of sending the shipments on time.
Most of the times these online stores dont stock but yet have the products on their websites. For those products the shipment may take longer than expected.

i'd prefer Sonix and Cruchfield weekly specials anyday over them.
Woofersetc is bit pricey, but if can find a good deal you can go with it
Old 23rd October 2009, 16:19   #113
Senior - BHPian

Guys as mentioned on Central Board of Excise and Customs which is the official website for Indian Customs, please find below the duty applicable which is not more than 10% on car headunits. Link for the same - Chapter 8527 http://www.cbec.gov.in/customs/cst-0809/chap-85.pdf

@Greenhorn - Where did you get this figure of 40% duty??

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd October 2009 at 16:24. Reason: restored post & removed extra formatting.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 16:37   #114
BHPian

Quote:
@Greenhorn - Where did you get this figure of 40% duty??
Epic, first thing, please try to spell my handle correctly. It has a 0, not a o. There are plenty of namesakes wandering around

Secondly, please read the last line of your PDF. We are well past 30 June 2009.

Third and final thing, you are pointing to a base custom rate (which admittedly is still 10%). On top of that, you will be asked to pay additional countervailing duty at 8%, special additional duty at 4% and then excise and custom cess at 3% each. These duties are incremental, so they add up to much more than 28%.

Here is a custom duty calculator for everyone's benefit- 85191000,Coin-or disc-operated record-players Import & Custom Duty Calculator.
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 17:43   #115
Senior - BHPian

I paid 4 k of duty on it. Even though I told a friend to get it down for me. He couldn't escape the eagle eye of the customs. My DLS amp and the Monster RCA's met similar fate.
I bought it from buy.com in one of those frenzied sales. $360 and it was mine ;-)
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 18:20   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I paid 4 k of duty on it. Even though I told a friend to get it down for me. He couldn't escape the eagle eye of the customs. My DLS amp and the Monster RCA's met similar fate.
I bought it from buy.com in one of those frenzied sales. $360 and it was mine ;-)
Frank, did your friend brings the Eclipse 'Box-Packed' ?

When i got my BOSE 2.1 Computer speakers from Australia, people had warned about customs (retails cose to 18K INR). So I unboxed them, kept strong thermocol padding for the woofer and put it in my trolley. the 2 tweeters i carried in hand baggage. And la, i got out of the airport without a hint. Meaning, when you showcase it as a used product, mostly you ll evade customs. Similar was my case of ASUS laptop.

So its better to unbox them and bring it, however, care should be taken while packing them else, everything goes for a toss
Old 23rd October 2009, 19:15   #117
Senior - BHPian

my friend was coming back from the usa for the first time. what compounded the issue was that he was alone, carrying 50 kilos of luggage ABOVE the prescribed weight, and also had 50 bottles of a medicine (without a prescription!!!) 3 iPhones, one laptop and a couple of other things which were much above the prescribed duty limit for one person.
the stuff was in boxes and it was BNIB (brand new in box).
Nothing could be done about it. But @ the price i got it, AFTER duty was still cheaper than what a P80 would cost in India. I am not complaining!
Old 23rd October 2009, 19:20   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
my friend was coming back from the usa for the first time. what compounded the issue was that he was alone, carrying 50 kilos of luggage ABOVE the prescribed weight, and also had 50 bottles of a medicine (without a prescription!!!) 3 iPhones, one laptop and a couple of other things which were much above the prescribed duty limit for one person.
the stuff was in boxes and it was BNIB (brand new in box).
Nothing could be done about it. But @ the price i got it, AFTER duty was still cheaper than what a P80 would cost in India. I am not complaining!
Agreed, 360$ is nothing short of a steal. I only hope my friend is smart enough to bring in mine without customs.BTW how did you source your Sub? , it surely must have been above 45 pounds i guess
Old 23rd October 2009, 20:47   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ever since i said of my ICE upgrade plan, My wife is treating me like an Alien, Now any further advice taken would result in she pushing me into an asylum
Been there, released and recommitted 3 times.

If you wory about what the world thinks about you dont get into Audio. You will have few sympathisers. What complicates things for some like me is that Audio in only one of the passions. Being considered mad has never stopped me from marching to the best of my own drummer.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 20:51   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed, 360$ is nothing short of a steal. I only hope my friend is smart enough to bring in mine without customs.BTW how did you source your Sub? , it surely must have been above 45 pounds i guess
I bought the sub from India. It's official JBL with a bill and warranty (i think it's 2 years). It has been arranged for, by Sam Kapasi.