Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 19th August 2008, 11:56   #1
BHPian

Default AUX connector for iPOD Touch and Clarion DXZ385USB head unit

Hi Friends,
I am having 16GB iPOD touch and want to connect to my car audio system Clarion DXZ385USB by using 3.5mm AUX cable. I can connect my iPOD using USB cable but I think sound quality is not that good so I need AUX connection.
Could someone please guide me which kind of cable will be best for my iPOD? I am looking for best sound quality and it will be good if cable can also charge my iPOD on the go.

Thanks,
Manish
manish_symc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 13:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Incorrect. The AUX-IN connection would be not as good as music streamed from the iPod and decoded and played by the HU.

Use the original USB cable that came with the iPod - as shown on the product page.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 17:38   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Incorrect. The AUX-IN connection would be not as good as music streamed from the iPod and decoded and played by the HU.

Use the original USB cable that came with the iPod - as shown on the product page.
Thanks DerAlte for your reply. My other problem is that when I connect my iPOD with USB cable with music system, I do not get control of the iPOD. I have to control everything from the audio system. In this situation, iPOD just works as a USB flash drive.

Is it possible to get control of iPOD using AUX-IN connection?
Old 19th August 2008, 18:44   #4
BHPian

Aux-In is just an input output connection. All it does is plays the music from your ipod through the cars speakers.

With Aux-In:

- Yes, you HAVE to use your ipod for control - just like you would when wearing headphones.

- No, it does not charge your ipod.

Last edited by Xehaust : 19th August 2008 at 18:45.
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 19:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

One would have thought that using the HU would be easier to control the music from the iPod, especially if you have a remote mounted on the steering wheel. The iPod DOES NOT appear as a USB drive - the iPod remote control protocol invoked by the HU controls the data flow. When connected over USB, the control is through the HU only - if you control from the iPod at the same time, the HU will be thoroughly confused as to what you intend to do.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 19:44   #6
BHPian

Here it is in a nutshell:

#1) If you prefer sound quality: USB is better than AUX.
#2) If you prefer controlling the iPod rather than the HU (mind you, this is while driving): AUX is what will let you do it, not USB.
#3) With the USB connection, most HUs will also simultaneously charge your iPod. This will NEVER happen with AUX.

Make your choice.
vebmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 19:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
One would have thought that using the HU would be easier to control the music from the iPod, especially if you have a remote mounted on the steering wheel. The iPod DOES NOT appear as a USB drive - the iPod remote control protocol invoked by the HU controls the data flow. When connected over USB, the control is through the HU only - if you control from the iPod at the same time, the HU will be thoroughly confused as to what you intend to do.
ok, as all said, quality will be higher, in case of USB mode.

BTW as matter of chance, I just bought a car kit for my IPOD, which has Control Unit, Twin jack cable, Car Charger and Car stand. IPOD control can be placed at some convenient position on dash.

My SX4 does not have USB input, so AUX is the only option. But I find it very difficult to control IPOD while driving. So this control unit is very convenient to control volume, Skip or forward track etc.

Will try to post the pic later
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 15:33   #8
BHPian

Many thanks to all of you to clarify my doubt. Now, I understand that USB cable is good for better sound quality. This was my only mail concern.