Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2014, 09:25   #61
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,423 Times
Default Re: Best component speaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
...Thanks a lot for that info. I will definitely give it a try this weekend. Is it the place near Gandhi Nagar/Kempagowda Bus Depot? Also, any particular shop that you can direct to from where I can get original equipments?
I can't recollect where is it. There is a guy "Misrimal" (Shop number 32 I guess). You can find his contact number in the forum using the search function. The guy is neat; but NO bargains as he claims he gives the best stuffs & prices.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 09:32   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,181
Thanked: 1,055 Times
Default Re: Best component speaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I can't recollect where is it. There is a guy "Misrimal" (Shop number 32 I guess). You can find his contact number in the forum using the search function. The guy is neat; but NO bargains as he claims he gives the best stuffs & prices.
Will do, thanks. Any other component brands you can suggest in the 6k territory?

Also, if I can get the comps at a lesser price, I might as well consider a respectable 4 ch Amp too. What entry level amp can you suggest?
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 09:49   #63
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,423 Times
Default Re: Best component speaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Will do, thanks. Any other component brands you can suggest in the 6k territory?

Also, if I can get the comps at a lesser price, I might as well consider a respectable 4 ch Amp too. What entry level amp can you suggest?
Infinity comps also might come within 6K if you go for grey market stuff. But you definitely will need a good HU as well. Though your stock HU might sound reasonable, you might NOT be able to extract the best out of your components. This is what every professional installer will advise you.

Where do you plan to get these stuff installed? Once you decide this, you could pay them a visit and discuss your requirements and they'll guide you. Frankly it's quite sometime since I spent time in ICE products section, so I am NOT sure of the latest models. But JBL will have some good 4 channel amps at reasonable prices (grey market - even better prices).

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd June 2014 at 09:51.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 10:14   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,181
Thanked: 1,055 Times
Default Re: Best component speaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Infinity comps also might come within 6K if you go for grey market stuff. But you definitely will need a good HU as well. Though your stock HU might sound reasonable, you might NOT be able to extract the best out of your components. This is what every professional installer will advise you.
I want to retain the steering controls of the HU. THats another reason why I havent considered HU upgrade. Or is there any way to retain it even after changing the HU?

Quote:
Where do you plan to get these stuff installed? Once you decide this, you could pay them a visit and discuss your requirements and they'll guide you. Frankly it's quite sometime since I spent time in ICE products section, so I am NOT sure of the latest models. But JBL will have some good 4 channel amps at reasonable prices (grey market - even better prices).
I havent planned it yet. I was thinking of getting it installed from the shop I purchase it. Will they do the installation at the shops in National Market?
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 10:50   #65
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,423 Times
Default Re: Best component speaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
...
Sent you a PM with the details as we are diluting the thread.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd June 2014 at 10:55.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 15:26   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default Re: Best component speaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
... - JBL GTO509c - Quoted INR 6900/-
- Hertz DSK130 - Quoted INR5600/-
...
Not the right prices. Looks like they biased the prices to favor the Hertz, since 509c is 4188 on Snapdeal. Simple psychological sales trick.

The DSK is quite bright, and comparatively the JBL is far better. Please make sure whichever components you want to buy, you audition with your music. And HU tone control settings set to 0 - since the shops usually want to impress you with artificially boosted bass and treble.

You need not change the HU - the Clarion HU is just fine.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 15:44   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,181
Thanked: 1,055 Times
Default Re: Best component speaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Not the right prices. Looks like they biased the prices to favor the Hertz, since 509c is 4188 on Snapdeal. Simple psychological sales trick.

The DSK is quite bright, and comparatively the JBL is far better. Please make sure whichever components you want to buy, you audition with your music. And HU tone control settings set to 0 - since the shops usually want to impress you with artificially boosted bass and treble.

You need not change the HU - the Clarion HU is just fine.
Thanks DerAlte. The quotes are from 2 different shops. I guess the first guy was trying to rip me off. Coincidentally I found out that my friend is having the GTO509c in his car and took an audition. Was quite impressed with the audition and although he was having another HU I took the plunge.

Ordered it via snap deal for 3.8k after a 10% cashback. A sweet deal I would like to say! Now since I have undercut my budget by quite some margin. I will be going for the Amp after a month after getting used to the components for sometime. I like to appreciate the addition and effect of each step of the upgrade.

I would like to know how the JBL- GTX646 is. retails at about 7k in snapdeal. Will it be a good entry level amp?

Also, I want the ICE to entertain only the myself and my passenger. So is it really required to change the rear speaker to a co-ax. Will it improve the overall sound quality to the driver and passenger?
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 15:50   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default Re: Best component speaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
... JBL- GTX646 is. retails at about 7k in snapdeal. ...
Too high - should be more like 5K. As would the Kenwood M846 be. The Kenwood is the better amp, if you can get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
... Also, I want the ICE to entertain only the myself and my passenger. So is it really required to change the rear speaker to a co-ax. Will it improve the overall sound quality to the driver and passenger?
The rear speakers would already be coax, if you have them. No need to change. No need to put them on amp either - keeping them on HU will do. The 2 left-over channels of the amp can feed a subwoofer as and when you buy one ( You will, certainly, some day - just a matter of time).
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 16:02   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,181
Thanked: 1,055 Times
Default Re: Best component speaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Too high - should be more like 5K. As would the Kenwood M846 be. The Kenwood is the better amp, if you can get one.
THanks for the heads up. I will keep a lookout for the M846.

Quote:
The 2 left-over channels of the amp can feed a subwoofer as and when you buy one ( You will, certainly, some day - just a matter of time).
I am well aware of that, even though I am not an avid bass lover! Thats why I am going for a 4ch Amp. 2 channels for future use!
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 16:28   #70
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default Re: Best component speaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
... even though I am not an avid bass lover ...
One doesn't have to be a bass lover to use a sub. Low frequencies are an essential component of music - as designed by the music director and sound engineer for the audience to hear. If the low bass goes missing, it is like missing salt in food. Try it in a car that has a sub - listen to music with and without the sub to know the difference.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 16:47   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,181
Thanked: 1,055 Times
Default Re: Best component speaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
One doesn't have to be a bass lover to use a sub. Low frequencies are an essential component of music - as designed by the music director and sound engineer for the audience to hear. If the low bass goes missing, it is like missing salt in food. Try it in a car that has a sub - listen to music with and without the sub to know the difference.
Hmm. That is a point. Earlier I used to love bass and bass alone. All the auditions I have had till now had the subs tuned to the extreme, so as to let the people outside the car know that it is running on a high end audio install and there by drowning the mid-s. I have developed a dislike for heavy bass from there. Even my brother's car has an active sub. Whenever I drive it, I find myself decreasing the sub's level where as my brother does the complete opposite. Anyways, I was converted from a bass lover to a detail lover. Lets see if I will find the joy in both of these!
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 17:28   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default Re: Best component speaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
... Lets see if I will find the joy in both of these! ...
Tune the sub channel such that more than the presence of the bass, you can detect the absence if you switch the sub off. I use old Hindi songs composed by OP Nayyar - these tracks had soft cello (acoustic) bass as part of the track. If you are able to just hear the bass in these tracks, that is the right level.

Music should be heard as the composer and sound engineer had intended it to be heard, and not crank up bass or treble because one likes it that way, or wants to show off "high-end system" - it is anything but!
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 14:25   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,181
Thanked: 1,055 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Tata Indica Vista

Thanks swiftnfurious and DerAlte.

I got the GTO509c installed yesterday. Although the SnapDeal shipping got delayed by 2 days from the committed date, the package arrived safe and secure.

BTW. While installing the components the shop guys told me that the original wiring that should be provided in the pack was missing. They took another original wire from another JBL component box available there and charged me Rs250/- for it. I was in a hurry and didnt have time to confirm about this or to go in search of replacement wire. Is it right that the wiring should be provided in the pack Or was I being ripped(most likely)?

After installation experience. Mounted the tweeter on the sail panel instead of the provided dashboard slot and disconnected the stock tweeters. The sound quality has definitely improved, especially the high volume behavior. The lows are more pleasant and audible and the highs are precise and not too overpowering. But still not upto the quality I desire, so I guess the the amp and sub will have to follow soon! All in all pretty much impressed with the quality for the price I paid.

PS: The stock clarion HU is driving the unit well enough.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 13th June 2014 at 14:27.
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 16:29   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Tata Indica Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
... While installing the components the shop guys told me that the original wiring that should be provided in the pack was missing. They took another original wire from another JBL component box available there and charged me Rs250/- for it. I was in a hurry and didnt have time to confirm about this or to go in search of replacement wire. Is it right that the wiring should be provided in the pack Or was I being ripped(most likely)? ...
All wires come in the box. Funny! You have just replaced the speaker - there is no wire replacement or new wire involved as you are still driving it from HU with the old wire only.

Only when you add the amp, you will need to use new speaker wires from amp to speakers.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 16:51   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,181
Thanked: 1,055 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Tata Indica Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
All wires come in the box. Funny! You have just replaced the speaker - there is no wire replacement or new wire involved as you are still driving it from HU with the old wire only.

Only when you add the amp, you will need to use new speaker wires from amp to speakers.
But this new wire was used for wiring between the speaker - crossover and the tweeter in its new position.
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Indica xeta versus Tata Vista SAFIRE 65 rohantn Hatchbacks 17 16th November 2011 01:53
Help Required Indica Vista Safire or Indica Vista TDI Logical Hatchbacks 63 30th October 2011 08:57
First official pics: Indica Vista EV CVT, LHD Vista Interior for Euro markets sidindica The Indian Car Scene 30 5th June 2010 21:03
Indica Vista Official Brochure! EDIT: Vista Now Launched sidindica The Indian Car Scene 233 24th August 2008 18:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks