Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2008, 19:43   #1
BHPian
 
manojgautham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 218
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Advice from Gurus - More thump from Sub

I need some help from the gurus, I am happy with the SQ of my system however I want to see if I can add more thump from the Sub.

The setup is as follows.
HU - JVC AVX814
Front Comps - Hertz 6.5"
Rear Coax - Infinity 5.5"
Amp for 4 speakers - Kenwood KAC8401 4 Channel
Sub in ported enclosure - Infinity 12"
Amp for Sub - GT5-A3001 - Mono
Car - Optra Magnum

I might be comparing the output to a hatchback and hence it could be that I am not getting the same thump from my sub. I was against any cutting in the car and just had the sub installed in the dicky.

My questin for the Gurus:
1) Will adding a second sub in the setup result in more bass?
2) Will I be able to add another sub in a ported box with the same mono amp I am using?
3) Do I need to get the install relooked by some installer?

Thanks in advance,
Manoj
manojgautham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 00:15   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
cooldude1988765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,005
Thanked: 106 Times
Default

I think you should try a sealed enclosure and see if you like it. I am sure you can run 2subs on your mono.
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 01:09   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
rider60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bhagyanagaram. (A.K.A. Hyderabad)
Posts: 1,619
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

no mate you need to change your sub to one with 1-OHM impedance.

check these linkys

Infinity - Car Audio

Infinity - Car Audio


if it is one of these subs and the wiring should be done to set it to 1 ohm impedance. if its not one of these infinity subs, then your sub is simply not getting out the max from your amp,

check this linky to the specs of your mono amp.

JBL Car & Marine Audio

it pumps out
300W RMS Power @ 1Ohm
225W RMS Power @ 2Ohms
175W RMS Power @ 4Ohms

if you are using a 4ohm impedance sub then you are pumping only 175W rms in to the sub, and if 2 ohm impedance one you are pumping out only 225w rms into the sub, and if its 1ohm impedance sub then you would be deriving the max 300w rms and pumping it in to the sub.

get one of the above mentioned subs from the linkys or you can get JBL GTO 1202D OR JBL GTO 1502D OR JBL P1222

here is the linky for the jbl subs

JBL Car & Marine Audio

JBL Car & Marine Audio

please do mention the model number of your infinity sub it will help us guide you better.

at the end of the day the suggestion is get a 1 ohm impedance sub for the mono from a brand of your choice with appropriate rms wattage matching and you should be able to enjoy good thump!!!

audition this setup before you buy it and if still unsatisfied then get a bigger mono and appropritely matching sub!
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 12:51   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
chiragh_bir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In front of you :P
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 69 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
no mate you need to change your sub to one with 1-OHM impedance.

check these linkys

Infinity - Car Audio

Infinity - Car Audio


if it is one of these subs and the wiring should be done to set it to 1 ohm impedance. if its not one of these infinity subs, then your sub is simply not getting out the max from your amp,

check this linky to the specs of your mono amp.

JBL Car & Marine Audio

it pumps out
300W RMS Power @ 1Ohm
225W RMS Power @ 2Ohms
175W RMS Power @ 4Ohms

if you are using a 4ohm impedance sub then you are pumping only 175W rms in to the sub, and if 2 ohm impedance one you are pumping out only 225w rms into the sub, and if its 1ohm impedance sub then you would be deriving the max 300w rms and pumping it in to the sub.

get one of the above mentioned subs from the linkys or you can get JBL GTO 1202D OR JBL GTO 1502D OR JBL P1222

here is the linky for the jbl subs

JBL Car & Marine Audio

JBL Car & Marine Audio

please do mention the model number of your infinity sub it will help us guide you better.

at the end of the day the suggestion is get a 1 ohm impedance sub for the mono from a brand of your choice with appropriate rms wattage matching and you should be able to enjoy good thump!!!

audition this setup before you buy it and if still unsatisfied then get a bigger mono and appropritely matching sub!
what the price of JBL GTO 1502D?
chiragh_bir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 13:29   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60
it pumps out
300W RMS Power @ 1Ohm
225W RMS Power @ 2Ohms
175W RMS Power @ 4Ohms

if you are using a 4ohm impedance sub then you are pumping only 175W rms in to the sub, and if 2 ohm impedance one you are pumping out only 225w rms into the sub, and if its 1ohm impedance sub then you would be deriving the max 300w rms and pumping it in to the sub.
In theory what you and the JBL specs is right.
But, Sam corrected me in a post saying the optimum impedance to use the GT5 mono is 2 ohms.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 17:16   #6
BHPian
 
manojgautham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 218
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

I seem to be using a 4ohm sub. What wiring changes need to be done to change it to 1ohm?
manojgautham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 17:39   #7
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
In theory what you and the JBL specs is right.
But, Sam corrected me in a post saying the optimum impedance to use the GT5 mono is 2 ohms.
Should be . 4||4 can give only 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojgautham View Post
I seem to be using a 4ohm sub. What wiring changes need to be done to change it to 1ohm?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 18:51   #8
BHPian
 
manojgautham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 218
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Should be . 4||4 can give only 2.

Does that mean that I need to use 2 sub? Will I be able to use it with the same amp.

BTW I just checked my sub, it is reference series 12".
manojgautham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 01:19   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
rider60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bhagyanagaram. (A.K.A. Hyderabad)
Posts: 1,619
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
In theory what you and the JBL specs is right.
But, Sam corrected me in a post saying the optimum impedance to use the GT5 mono is 2 ohms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manojgautham View Post
Does that mean that I need to use 2 sub? Will I be able to use it with the same amp.

BTW I just checked my sub, it is reference series 12".

well if that were true nitrous then i guess the GT5 mono is not that appealing to me any more, any way, manoj you need a 2 ohm impedance sub not a one ohm, and one sub will surely suffice, dont get 2 subs, it will be it will waste more space of the boot for the same amount of thump from a dvc.

well as far as i know 2-ohm impedance DVC/SVC matching your mono is unavailable from JBL (except for power series and likes), i dint find any in Infinity either, so start with hifonics,kicker or pio all these brands have the specified sub do audition before you make your kill.


@chiragbir, the GTO1502D sub should cost around 8K retail, without the enclosure.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 04:13   #10
BANNED
 
hellspawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: noida
Posts: 1,686
Thanked: 6 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

I used to face a similar problem.The solution that worked for me was removing the rear coaxials and leaving the rear speaker holes empty.You may even have a small rectangular slit in the tray.It works.
Probably the gurus could explain why it would work?
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 08:00   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 865
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
I used to face a similar problem.The solution that worked for me was removing the rear coaxials and leaving the rear speaker holes empty.You may even have a small rectangular slit in the tray.It works.
Probably the gurus could explain why it would work?
Does it mean that the rear tray was damping the sub output?
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 10:38   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
Ajaybiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,354
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

Manoj whats the model number of your Infinity sub and where you got them? as i am looking for 1052 or 1252 infinity subwoofer as they are DVC and provides flexibility of choosing 2 or 4 ohms impidence.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 10:45   #13
BHPian
 
manojgautham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 218
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
I used to face a similar problem.The solution that worked for me was removing the rear coaxials and leaving the rear speaker holes empty.You may even have a small rectangular slit in the tray.It works.
Probably the gurus could explain why it would work?
I also thought this would work. I tried to audition with the rear seat folded down. Not much of a difference.
manojgautham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 10:48   #14
BHPian
 
manojgautham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 218
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Manoj whats the model number of your Infinity sub and where you got them? as i am looking for 1052 or 1252 infinity subwoofer as they are DVC and provides flexibility of choosing 2 or 4 ohms impidence.

The sub is REF 1250W, it doesn't have the flexibility of choosing 2ohms & 4ohms.
manojgautham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 10:51   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
blueraven316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,109
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

That Infinity sub is a single 4 Ohm and its churning only 175 RMS from the mono so this effectively has made as powerful as an average 2 Channel amp.
What you need (if you retain the amp) is to get a pair of Dual coil 4 Ohm subs all connected in parallel. OR a single dual 2 Ohm DVC subwoofer connected in parallel to get the peak output from this amp.
I initially thought you had a JBL GTO301.1 amp.
blueraven316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not happy with thump effect need help viraj_s85 In-Car Entertainment 29 20th March 2010 03:27
Ford Fiesta - Thump sound on braking calvinkrishy Technical Stuff 6 21st July 2009 22:50
More thump from AVL engine alpha1 Motorbikes 11 4th November 2008 12:13
sub enclosure advice from audio gurus clipto333 In-Car Entertainment 22 4th January 2007 11:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks