Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 10th September 2008, 14:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Wink My Getz ICE'd!

This comes a little (~2 months) late than it should have. That’s because the complete setup happened in two stages (Sub came in about two weeks ago). Also, I was feeling a bit lazy with all the work at office.

So finally I got my Getz ICEd, after spending a few months reading on TBHP and auditioning various combinations in Mumbai (thanks to B&T, SRShrikanth, Zohir/Boom and Bhagwan) and Delhi (thanks to Gunbir and FlyingBong!).

The setup is basic/entry level, and includes front components + sub at the rear. My initial budget was 15k, which got stretched to 20k and then to 25k, after which I stopped keeping count. And sorry, I could not click WIP pics as I did not have the camera then.

I mainly listen to English rock, Hindi (bollywood and ghazals), Trance and electronic, Hip hop and sometimes Lounge on long drives.

The equipment:
1. Headunit – Pioneer 5050 – Rs 7,000 (grey)
2. Amplifier – Blaupunkt GTA4 Special Mark II – Rs 6,300 (B&W)
3. Front component – Illusion Electra 6.1 - 6.5", 2-way component speaker system 70 watts RMS / 350 watts peak – Rs 6,490 (B&W)
4. Subwoofer – Ground Zero Titanium GZTW 12MK² (30 cm 350 watts, 2" 4 ohm voice coil) – Rs 5,490 (B&W)
5. Power cable – Monster (don’t remember the price)
6. RCAs – Ground Zero x 2 (GZCC 5.3 5m RCA triple shield) – Rs 1,190
7. Ichibahn Fuse (again, forgot the price)
8. Speaker cable – Illusion Audio Reference Series Speaker Cable (RSC 16.5 - 23 feet, 16 gauge tinned OFC speaker cable) – Rs 1,050
9. Neutrik speakon connector for sub enclosure – Rs 500
10. Sub enclosure – free, with blessings of “Bhagwan”
11. MDF plank for amplifier – Rs 200
12. Installation – Rs 1,000

Total money spent after discount – Rs 30,000

Observations

Illusion Electra components - Needless to say, Illusion Electras are quite powerful speakers and I found them perfect for my taste in music. Although they sound well without amplifier, I chose to mate them with one to extract better sound. The speakers go as high as you want to take them without any issues. Vocals at all volumes and crisp and clear. All in all, a great VFM speaker!

P.S. The midbass have been installed in the stock door locations and the cross-overs have been tucked behind the center lower console i.e. just beneath the AC controls. From that point of view, I like the stealth-ness of the install.

Head unit – Good, but nothing so great to write home about. I was a tad bit disappointed with Pioneer 5050. I find it very fragile and delicately built. I believe the earlier series that I had (Pioneer 7650) was more solid and less on bling factor. They probably sounded crisper too. However I was on a budget and hence preferred Pioneer as I found it VFM.

Amplifier – The Blaupunkt is a surprisingly good and reasonably powerful amp. I am quite happy with what it delivers at that price. Yes, I probably bought the most expensive ‘budget amplifier’ but that’s mainly because my first installer was totally against JBL (he told me stories of a few ‘new amps’ being returned due to overheating problems within a week). I did seriously consider Kenwood 8401 at Rs 5,500 then, but I thought of spending Rs 700 extra and get a B&W piece to save trouble later on.

Subwoofer – The long pending decision in my install. I had installed the amplifier and components much earlier so was in a doubt whether the GZ sub would be able to perform well with the power supplied by the amp. Read a lot on TBHP and also spoke to a few members who convinced that it would work well. So went over to Boom and tested the GZ sub on my amp and both me and Zohir were convinced that it is sufficiently powered. Bass is quite good and not vague/boomy as was made out to be elsewhere on the forum.

Subwoofer enclosure – Picked this up free from Bhagwan, which was earlier being used in his Zen. It is quite compact, although looks quite big due to the additions done by God-ji in terms of cushioning and foam etc. We tested the sub in it and since bass was sounding quite good, I have decided to retain it

Installation – My install story is divided in two parts:
1. I went to a “reputed” installer but probably was out of luck that day or suffered due to the bad mood of the workers (due to heavy rains). The result
i) Head unit installed the wrong way i.e. forced in from the front (refer to the correct way in Getz as described by Gunbir in another post), despite my insisting and instructing them in advance how to do it. I probably hit at their ego and in retaliation, they literally shaved my console (and feelings) quite brutally *shrug*

ii) The second negative experience was waiting for over three hours for the subwoofer. I initially wanted to go for JBL loaded enclosure (JBL CS1204B sealed), which my installer did not have in stock. So he made me wait for 3+ hours during which he tried to source it from the whole of Mumbai (or so he claims) and finally came back with JBL 1204BR (Bass reflex). So I left without getting the sub installed. In hindsight, I guess it was the right thing that happened to me

iii) Despite deciding on the equipment in advance, I found the workers putting in MTX power cable, Kicker RCAs and local un-branded fuse. I do not appreciate any deviation from agreed word so gave them my piece of mind

iv) Amplifier was installed on the boot (plastic) sidewall ‘without an MDF board as the base’. This resulted in lot of rattles later on

2. For my subwoofer install, I went to Boom. Zohir is a very nice guy and advises whats best for the individual. Honesty is a rare virtue these days and I appreciated that in him.

i) He got my previous installs problems corrected without any fuss whatsoever. We placed the amplifier on an MDF board and mounted it on the back of the rear seat

ii) Next, he offered me an audition of the GZ woofer on my amp and in my enclosure to help me decide (till then, I had not even finalized on the sub). I also appreciated the fact that he himself suggested Neutrik connector for the enclosure, even before I could suggest the same! This was a welcome change from my past experiences. Looking at the time and effort spent on the install, I think the charges were quite reasonable.

Damping
As has been mentioned before on the forum, Getz is a very solidly built car and great for ICE. I did not go for any damping and I can say that the car sounds beautiful without it. Of course, I don’t doubt the need or benefits of damping (especially after having Bhagwan’s damped cars!). But I rarely jack up the volume so high that the metal would vibrate/resonate. Plus I might not keep the car for very long. So right now I have decided not to go for any damping.

Review
So after completing the install fully, and numerous tuning sessions, the music sounds great. I appreciate the fact of being able to listen and distinguish different instruments playing in a song. The sub blends very well with the front components and sounds the way I wanted it to i.e. ‘present to deliver the bass but absent if you want to detect it playing solo’. I play the sub on ‘reverse’ phase as I find it blending better than playing it on the ‘normal’ phase (in which it sounds as if playing independently in a world of its own). I guess as someone said – Reverse phase is the poor man’s substitute of Time Alignment!

Net-net, I have started taking slightly longer routes to the same destination, just to enjoy the bliss. Drives on the Mumbai-Pune expressway have become more enjoyable and suddenly, I do not hear myself cribbing about Mumbai traffic so much as before! So I am happy at the end of the day and money has been well spent.

The pics:
The amplifier
My Getz ICE'd!-amp-1.jpg
Amplifier again, showing GZ RCAs
My Getz ICE'd!-amp-2-showing-gz-rcas.jpg
Amplifier mounted on the back of the rear seat
My Getz ICE'd!-amp-3-rear-seat.jpg
Previous (wrong) amplifier install on the boot plastic sidewall
My Getz ICE'd!-amp-sidewall.jpg
GZ sub in sealed enclosure
My Getz ICE'd!-gz-sub-encl.jpg
Profile view of the sub+enclosure
My Getz ICE'd!-gz-subencl-profile.jpg
Midbass in door stock location
My Getz ICE'd!-hidden-midbass.jpg
Front left tweeter
My Getz ICE'd!-left-tweeter.jpg
Front right tweeter
My Getz ICE'd!-right-tweeter.jpg
Neutrik speakon connector
My Getz ICE'd!-neutrik-1.jpg
Neutrik speakon connector - closeup pic
My Getz ICE'd!-neutrik-2-close-up.jpg
Pioneer 5050 headunit
My Getz ICE'd!-pio-5050.jpg
Pioneer 5050 side view pics showing wrong installation (forced from the front of the center console, hence jutting out)
My Getz ICE'd!-pio-5050-side-1.jpg
My Getz ICE'd!-pio-5050-side-2.jpg
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 16:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Nishant, your car does sound very neat. Do try out mounting the tweeters vertically as I had suggested. It will offset the path length problem to a great extent.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 16:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the setup. So what installs did you heard in delhi ?
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 16:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice installs..!!! so finally youve ICE'd your getz congrats Nishant,when can i audition it???
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 16:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

i got the same amp for less than 5 grands with B&W
chiragh_bir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 17:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice setup. This should be an ideal setup for people who want good sound in a budget.
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 21:40   #7
BHPian

Enjoy the music!Amp looks sexy!
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 21:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!! Nice choice of equipment

Waise bhi the Getz isnt a car where damping is mandatory. This isnt to say that damping is not important but if your not keeping the car then its a no brainer.

I feel you on the HU front!! I had the 7650 a while ago and it has been passed onto a friend and is dutifully serving him even now absolutely no fuss.

Enjoy !

P.S : I just noticed the tweeter positioning... I dont think its optimal. One of the guru's will come by and point out why I reckon.
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 22:02   #9
BHPian

@ Nishant - Good setup friend. Blaupunkt Amp looks good. Enjoy...
mnhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 23:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Congrats Nishant, your car does sound very neat. Do try out mounting the tweeters vertically as I had suggested. It will offset the path length problem to a great extent.
Thanks Ajay, for the compliment, tuning help and the suggestion. I will go to Boom sometime soon to get the tweeters done. Is there an option where I do not need to cut the A-pillars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Congrats on the setup. So what installs did you heard in delhi ?
Thanks! I heard Gunbir and FB's cars. I remember having PMed you as well but was on a short visit so could not come over to FBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
Nice installs..!!! so finally youve ICE'd your getz congrats Nishant,when can i audition it???
Sirji, any time you say!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
i got the same amp for less than 5 grands with B&W
Good for you man. From where?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
Nice setup. This should be an ideal setup for people who want good sound in a budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Enjoy the music!Amp looks sexy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Congrats!! Nice choice of equipment

Waise bhi the Getz isnt a car where damping is mandatory. This isnt to say that damping is not important but if your not keeping the car then its a no brainer.

I feel you on the HU front!! I had the 7650 a while ago and it has been passed onto a friend and is dutifully serving him even now absolutely no fuss.

Enjoy !

P.S : I just noticed the tweeter positioning... I dont think its optimal. One of the guru's will come by and point out why I reckon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhegde View Post
@ Nishant - Good setup friend. Blaupunkt Amp looks good. Enjoy...
Thanks for the compliments guys!

Thanks
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 23:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!! The amp looks great.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 00:09   #12
BHPian

arre nice equipment,nishantbhai
Budget mein totally fit.!

get the sub box leather redone when you have time(use rexine-cheaper alternative)

Tweeter on the A pillars would definietly help
do as ajay adviced(hamku kudh figure out karna pada thou!)

if im not mistaken you can buy the A pillar covers seperately from the grey market when you wanna sell your car-Zohir was telling me
Magma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 09:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

from chandigarh itself!!
chiragh_bir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 09:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Nishant.
Nice setup. I'm just itching to my Getz ICE'd. I would be using the same compos and sub.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 11:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nishant, you can turn the tweeters right where they are, to rest with their back against the A pillar and firing horizontally towards the farther listener. Dont cut anything right now. Just try it.

And yeah, get rid of that additional foam on the front baffle of the sub's enclosure and have it wrapped again in fabric or art leather.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote