Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 18th September 2008, 19:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

hi buddies! i showed by problem to a music shop in here. he said the HU is the main problem. its outdated and does not throw enough power. then he evaluated my car and said that in this present setup if i want to increase the bass, i can replace the current subwoofer with a JBL basstube. he showed me a demo and yes the difference was noticable. but then he said he can give me the bass tube for 4000 in exchange of my subwoofer. i was not willing to pay 4000 for a small improvement.
now i have decided that i will buy a 4 channel amp (mono amp for the sub is too expensive!), bridge 2 channels for the speaker and 2 to my present sony sub. still if i am not satisfied, i will buy the basstube.
what say guys?
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 19:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i showed by problem to a music shop in here. he said the HU is the main problem. its outdated and does not throw enough power.
The head unit may not have a sub-out, but I dont buy the "throw enough power" part.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 19:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

yes buddy, it does not have a sub-out i think. anyways as i said, i wont replace the HU as i dont want to lose the steering controls !!!
Old 18th September 2008, 19:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

I think your present course of action, i.e. buying a 4-ch amp should do just fine. Although most JBL subs will be much better than the Sony.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 10:24   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
You got to bridge the 2 channels in your amp & give the brridged output to the sub woofer & run the rear speakers off the HU.
Quote:
i will try powering the sub with the amp alone and the 6 speakers from the HU.
Raj dont do that! Your HU will fry if you try to power 6 speakers with it. your HU has 4 channels of power so it can at best power 4 speakers not 6.

Quote:
now i have decided that i will buy a 4 channel amp (mono amp for the sub is too expensive!), bridge 2 channels for the speaker and 2 to my present sony sub. still if i am not satisfied, i will buy the basstube.
I repeat (see earlier post) with clarifications.
1. 4 ch amp for 4 (front and sub) speakers use old amp for rear speakers and use HU for 6x9s.
2. new sub aka JBL
3. replace 2 ch. amp with second 4 ch. amp to drive sub and 2 speakers
4. front speaker upgrade to components.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 11:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

so is it fine if i buy a 4 ch amp and power the 1100 W JBL basstube and two 400 W sony speakers with it?
or should i keep the 2 ch amp for the sony speakers and buy a mono amp for the JBL basstube?
which is better?
buying 2 new speakers, a 4 ch amp and a basstube is something i dont want to do as it means additional expenditure and moreover i am pretty satisfied with the current speakers. what i want is some bass effect...
Old 19th September 2008, 11:15   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
so is it fine if i buy a 4 ch amp and power the 1100 W JBL basstube and two 400 W sony speakers with it? ...
Use the 4 ch amp (your best amp) to power the sub and 2 front speakers (where you sit). Use the 2 channel amp to power the rear speakers and the HU to power the 6x9s.
Old 19th September 2008, 11:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

what did you mean by the "6x9s"??? the speakers on the boot door?
Old 19th September 2008, 11:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hi buddies! i showed by problem to a music shop in here. he said the HU is the main problem. its outdated and does not throw enough power. then he evaluated my car and said that in this present setup if i want to increase the bass, i can replace the current subwoofer with a JBL basstube. he showed me a demo and yes the difference was noticable. but then he said he can give me the bass tube for 4000 in exchange of my subwoofer. i was not willing to pay 4000 for a small improvement.
what say guys?

this is a very good idea..
chiragh_bir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 12:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

hey guys, today i am finally going to upgrade my ICE. i have decided on a 8000 budget.
now i think in this small budget, the only 2 options available are:
1) buy a mono amp and connect it to the present sony sub and power the sony 400W speakers by the present 2 ch amp.
2) buy a JBL 1100W basstube in exchange of the present sony sub and also buy a 4 ch amp in exchange of the present 2 ch amp. then bridge 2 channels to the bass tube and 2 channels to the sony speakers.

which option would be better guys? and also, which 4ch amp is the best in 6000 and which mono amp is the best in 8000?

reply awaited. thanks.
Old 21st September 2008, 12:52   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i have decided on a 8000 budget.
1) buy a mono amp
2) buy a JBL 1100W basstube in exchange of the present sony sub and also buy a 4 ch amp in exchange of the present 2 ch amp. then bridge 2 channels to the bass tube and 2 channels to the sony speakers.

which option would be better guys? and also, which 4ch amp is the best in 6000 and which mono amp is the best in 8000?
I'd get the bass tube and 4 ch amp. once that is done your next upgrade will be a mono. then use the HU to drive the rear 6x9s.
Old 21st September 2008, 15:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

tried JBL bass tube last night.. seriously i didn't like it..

pioneer 307 is way too good .. !!

i would rather suggest blaupunkt or kenwood 8401 + pioneer 307!!

power the rear speakers and sub with..

try before buying!!

Last edited by chiragh_bir : 21st September 2008 at 15:26.
chiragh_bir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 23:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

i tried a kicker sub as well as a JBL basstube with a sony 4 ch amp (XM-ZR604). the kicker had a deep bass but JBL had a stronger and audible bass. went for the JBL basstube with the 4 ch amp. i am pretty satisfied now.
next upgrade would be a mono amp and a new head unit, maybe after 6 months!
Old 22nd September 2008, 11:37   #29
BHPian

Congrats Raj. I am sure, this will keep you happy for another 6 months.

Post the pics pls.
mansidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 19:01   #30
BHPian

Whatever you do, if you are intending to change the HU, never, ever go for blaupunkt. I am a Blaupunkt user for 3.5 years. It is only for the brand name you are paying. Blaupunkt HU sound great, I admit(there are other units from other manufacturers at the same price that sound even better). But, wha happens to the Blaupunkt HUs is that, they work fine for say 6 months or may be for even 2.5 years, after which they just don't read the discs. A particular CD may be playing fine in the morning. In the evening, it might not read the CD even after ejecting and inserting it for 50 odd time. A cheap Sony XPLOD of 2500 bucks is even better than this. Blaupunkt's service is also so pathetic.

This problem first occurred when my unit was 9 months old. I gave it to SAMIR Agencies - the only authorized Blaupunkt service center in a metro city like Kolkata. They repaired it. Everything was fine till 3 months passed. The unit again started giving problems. This time, the warranty was just over by 6 days. I requested SAMIR several times, but they did not give any warranty support and instead set me back by telling this problem requires a lens change which will cost around Rs.1800 for an original Blaupunkt lens. They asked me to contact Blaupunkt sales and support center near Ice Skating Ring. The people at the Blaupunkt office told me that they can not provide warranty support. I requested them several times but in vain.While I was still there at the office, a Blaupunkt technician came to me. I am a doctor, and the Blaupunkt techy happened to be my patient. In an instance he took me to a room there and closed the door. He then opened my unit, took out the internals. Then he took a brand new unit out of the box, opened it, took out the internals and fixed the new units main components into mine. Then he carefully removed the stickers from the unit and placed them on the old internals of my unit which he has taken out. And on the new internals of my unit he placed the original stickers that were in my unit for so long. My unit was fine for an year after that, now it has again started giving problems. The guy told that Blaupunkt is good, but Blaupunkt in India cheats people and I might have got an old unit - just like this. And several others might have been cheated like this.

Unfortunately, the man no longer works at Blaupunkt. I called him the other day and he said that he now works ar XLUSIV and he services Pioneer units.

So at the end of the day, it is up to you to decide whether you want to shell out atleast 7.5 K for sleep less nights.

Oh yes ! Now what am I to do with my Blaupunkt ??
neel12345 is offline   Reply With Quote