Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2008, 18:31   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
panky12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,652
Thanked: 126 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
,m planing to send it back to the person whom i bought it from,
were they sold under a "buy-back" option or its outta frustation?
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 18:52   #32
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 28
Thanked: 0 Times
Default illusion

Thanks for the offer B&T.When and where? (Preferably a sunday)

in your opinion, will the electras do as standalone speakers in a baleno, without the support of a a sub? i drive alone most of the time.

is it possible to get my hands on a pair on lucents 6.5" ? - even second hand would do..
silver baleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 18:55   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
abhibh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Back in the HOOD near you!
Posts: 2,767
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
I second with you on this,I have one set of DSK165 which i installed in a NHC and then removed it,its the most pathetic components ive ever heard i myself didn't liked the sound,how would the end-user like it,m planing to send it back to the person whom i bought it from,
May i ask what you didn't liked in the components ? IMHO they are musical and yes they lack midbass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I like they way they sound. And I've listened to some good blaupunkt and better JBL setups before I bought them. They do justice to my musical tastes , and my friends agree !
they are musical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Aww! You must try the "SQ Reference", Energy Series in that case.
hmm having heard both the NEW and OLD HERTZ Energy series i beg to differ completely. They are very very good sounding specially the NEW ones. Those who complained about the bright tweeter in earlier series are in for a surprise. And the Mid-bass is almost 2.5 times what it was in earlier series. And yes i have heard them for a long long session precisely more then 4 hours.

Have not heard the Hi-Energy much so i cannot comment on them but i will be owning a pair soon and will post a review.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 19:19   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,744
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
hmm having heard both the NEW and OLD HERTZ Energy series i beg to differ completely. They are very very good sounding specially the NEW ones. Those who complained about the bright tweeter in earlier series are in for a surprise. And the Mid-bass is almost 2.5 times what it was in earlier series. And yes i have heard them for a long long session precisely more then 4 hours.
Great to hear about this! I was definitely talking about the older Hertz Energy series.

Just imagine, the old line had 40% midbass of the newer line, AND had a bright tweeter. Just imagine the amount of hype surrounding it, considering the number of people raving about its sound quality and blah blah!

Thanks for the excellent feedback.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 19:47   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,744
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver baleno
Thanks for the offer B&T.When and where? (Preferably a sunday)
Whats a Sunday? Perhaps you refer to the last parts of my Sat night where I start seeing daylight by the end of it. Will PM you details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver baleno
in your opinion, will the electras do as standalone speakers in a baleno, without the support of a a sub? i drive alone most of the time.
In my opinion, no car system is ever complete without a sub. Car speakers are designed to NOT operate into lower sub bass regions. And I dont like that. But its a matter of taste. Maybe you wouldn't mind not having that part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver baleno
is it possible to get my hands on a pair on lucents 6.5" ? - even second hand would do.
Could check, but very unlikely.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 10:38   #36
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,502
Thanked: 3,879 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Whats a Sunday? Perhaps you refer to the last parts of my Sat night
B&T, you gonna end up like me (senile, prematurely old and dysfunctional)! Be careful. :-)
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 10:55   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 28
Thanked: 0 Times
Default illusion

just a thought..

Can an 8" speaker be fitted in a balenos stock door panel using spacer rings, without any modifications? ..what abt the shallow basket carbons & lucents?
silver baleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 11:59   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: BLR
Posts: 2,222
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
B&T, you gonna end up (senile, prematurely old and dysfunctional)! Be careful. :-)
Too late Navinji!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver baleno View Post
just a thought..

Can an 8" speaker be fitted in a balenos stock door panel using spacer rings, without any modifications? ..what abt the shallow basket carbons & lucents?
Possible...but not practical. Custom calculated fibre kickpods like Blueravens zen would be much much better.
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 14:33   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,744
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver baleno View Post
Can an 8" speaker be fitted in a balenos stock door panel using spacer rings, without any modifications? ..what abt the shallow basket carbons & lucents?
Can be installed, but door pad will have to be cut. Not so much because of the mounting depth issue, but because most of the sound of the midwoofers will be blocked by the smaller sized factory grill.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 15:25   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
abhibh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Back in the HOOD near you!
Posts: 2,767
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Great to hear about this! I was definitely talking about the older Hertz Energy series.

Just imagine, the old line had 40% midbass of the newer line, AND had a bright tweeter. Just imagine the amount of hype surrounding it, considering the number of people raving about its sound quality and blah blah!

Thanks for the excellent feedback.
Ya i figured it out from the the earlier post that you were referring to the OLD series .

And 40% more midbass doesn't really means that the earlier series lacked the midbass (yes it was less but adequate if you have a sub). And if my audio concepts are not wrong, i think less midbass doesn't really means that components suffer from SQ LOSS. OLD energy series are very musical and IMHO they are good "SQ Reference" components.

Going back to the tweeter of old Energy series when i heard them they were not bright to my ears. Maybe the eq was set in such a way that i didin't found them bright. Clipto333 can comment on the eq part as i was more busy enjoying the vocals, detailing level and smooth sound of the compos.

P.S. Later on this week i will post a somewhat detailed review on both NEW AND OLD ENERGY series.

cheers:
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 16:11   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,744
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh
And 40% more midbass doesn't really means that the earlier series lacked the midbass (yes it was less but adequate if you have a sub).
Your calculations are a bit haywire.
  • You said that the new Energy Series has 2.5 times the midbass of the old series.
  • That means that the old Energy Series had only 40% of the midbass of the newer one. NOT 40% less. 60% less. Less than half.
  • Which means that either the new ones kick like mules, or the old ones were like 5mm Xmax tweeters. Of course thats a lot of exaggeration, but I am just trying to say that based on your reckoning, there is a HUGE disparity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh
And if my audio concepts are not wrong, i think less midbass doesn't really means that components suffer from SQ LOSS.
Uh, ok. Pretty much depends on how you define SQ, you know? I am a staunch believer that SQ is a very personal thing, and wont enforce my views on it on someone else.

By the way, this thing about a deficiency in a particular section of reproduced audio not affecting SQ - does this apply to midbass only or in other regions as well? In your book, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh
OLD energy series are very musical and IMHO they are good "SQ Reference" components.
Aah, now I know your reference for SQ. That settles it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh
Going back to the tweeter of old Energy series when i heard them they were not bright to my ears. Maybe the eq was set in such a way that i didin't found them bright. Clipto333 can comment on the eq part as i was more busy enjoying the vocals, detailing level and smooth sound of the compos.
You should find out and let us know please.

Look forward to your new v/s old Energy comps shootout. Cheers!

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 19th September 2008 at 16:12.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 16:35   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,833
Thanked: 1,310 Times
Default

a 2.5x increase would imply a 4db increase in midbass sensitivity. Given that the overall sensitivity rose ( say for ex: , the ESK 165- from 91 to 93 db) despite the metallic tweeter being replaced with a soft dome , such an increase in the midbass output does seem quite possible.

besides the changes of the midbass, the crossover might also have been holding it back, especially given the low sensitivity

But I wouldn't call the energy series reference speakers though.

Last edited by greenhorn : 19th September 2008 at 16:43.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 16:41   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Uh, ok. Pretty much depends on how you define SQ, you know? I am a staunch believer that SQ is a very personal thing, and wont enforce my views on it on someone else.
Very correctly said. SQ is like liking someone we can take reference of our Indian actresses one may like Huma Khan and other may like Shakeela but it is not necessary that one can like both and there are few those will like them both.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 17:04   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,744
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn
a 2.5x increase would imply a 4db increase in midbass sensitivity.
Might want to relook that a bit:

A 2.5x increase in input power will result in nearly 4 dB increase in output intensity.

Perceiving a 2.5x increase in output intensity does not translate into 4dB increase in dB terms.

Quote:
besides the changes of the midbass, the crossover might also have been holding it back, especially given the low sensitivity
How exactly does a crossover influence midbass?
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 18:06   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,833
Thanked: 1,310 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Might want to relook that a bit:

A 2.5x increase in input power will result in nearly 4 dB increase in output intensity.
I never said the 2.5x improvement was in input power. Isnt input power kept identical when comparing sensitivities?
Quote:
Perceiving a 2.5x increase in output intensity does not translate into 4dB increase in dB terms.
abhibh had not specified what exactly in the mid bass had increased 2.5x. I assumed it was the sensitivity of the mid bass driver-that is what seemed logical to me.

Quote:
How exactly does a crossover influence midbass?
attenuation. who knows , they might have attenuated the mid by some extent

Last edited by greenhorn : 19th September 2008 at 18:11.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ShuvCivic - Simple ICE shuvc In-Car Entertainment 39 6th January 2014 14:07
My Simple Car Called BALENO Addy Modifications & Accessories 83 11th September 2011 14:52
The Simple & Humble ICE for my Swift DDiS whizzkid_ram In-Car Entertainment 79 11th August 2010 18:13
Simple Ice setup for the Xylo beejay In-Car Entertainment 19 8th December 2009 14:51
An article on ICE (in simple English) Sam Kapasi In-Car Entertainment 45 27th May 2008 16:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks