Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 6th October 2008, 00:07   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post
There is no harm in running a 500watt subwoofer off a 1000watt amp. The amp will run cooler and on a lower gain setting. Bass will be a lot more controlled as I have personally experienced it.

Gurus, please correct me where I'm wrong.
Thanks for the explanation buddy
Helped a lot

Even Panky12345 gave me the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Yes get the coupler. But that is not what Sam and I were refering to. I had an unusual amplifier problem in my car which was fixed but we never got to know why the problem surfaced in the first place so that was not really meant for public consumption.
What was the problem ?

UPDATE :

Listened to a few rides

Comments :

Subs :

ID V3 - Felt the kick to be a bit low (SOS member)
ID Q - Was good ( SOS Member)
ID Max - Pretty Good but. ( A Friend's ride )
2 GZ XS-AL : Perfect ( Felt them better than the ID MAX ) - Panky12345's ride

Components :

ID : Nope
Rainbow : Were good enough
JBL : Quite good , liked the brightness
Illusion : Still to audition but heard they are more laid-back so less inclined towards them

Mono block Amp :

With GZ XS-AL , felt the 1201.1 was perfect
If only I could source it , else 14001 it will be

Rear Fills : Dont want to cut anything , so cant decide . HELP

4 channel amp :

75.4 rocked . If i can source them , good , else JBL GTO 1004e

Loved LBM's system to the core
but as he , pankaj , gunbir mentioned , you can't listen to that all the time , what you need most of the time is SPL at an audible and pleasing volume)
Old 6th October 2008, 01:33   #77
BHPian

Decide compo's and amp first,then decide upon the sub.JBL amp was a good choice,Listen and Compare the subs in your car because as to what all you comparing and heard,will sound different in your car. Some cars were sedans some were hatch's all running as per the liking of the user.

If you really want to compare,compare them on a set platform.

I had seen you really confused,lol.This solution might help you.

IMO ID and GZ have their own characteristic's understand them,and then choose what you like the best.
Old 6th October 2008, 01:38   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
Decide compo's and amp first,then decide upon the sub.JBL amp was a good choice,Listen and Compare the subs in your car because as to what all you comparing and heard,will sound different in your car. Some cars were sedans some were hatch's all running as per the liking of the user.

If you really want to compare,compare them on a set platform.

I had seen you really confused,lol.This solution might help you.

IMO ID and GZ have their own characteristic's understand them,and then choose what you like the best.
I really was pretty confused man.
But a lot of stuff was made clear to me by you guys.

Even Gunbir was saying JBL monoblock in the beginning.
Will have to audition Illusions with them to satisfy myself
Old 6th October 2008, 01:49   #79
BHPian

You wanted a LOUD setup,JBL amp has enough power.Seems fair.
Old 6th October 2008, 02:25   #80
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post

Comments :

Subs :

ID V3 - Felt the kick to be a bit low (SOS member)

ID Q - Was good ( SOS Member)

ID Max - Pretty Good but. ( A Friend's ride )

2 GZ XS-AL : Perfect ( Felt them better than the ID MAX ) - Panky12345's ride

1.The IDv3 was running on 500W rms
2.The IDQ was running on just 200W rms.
3.The IDMAX was running on 400W rms.
4.The 2 GZ subs are running on 1200W rms.

IMHO,it is very unfair to compare 2 subs running on 1200W rms to a single sub running on just 400W rms.
It would have been a different story if you would have compared 2 GZ subs to 2 IDMAX/IDQ/ID.Or better still you should have listened to just 1 GZ sub to make your decision easier.
It is obvious that 2 subs will sound louder,have more kick/punch than just a single sub.
Anyway its your decision.
Cheers!
P.S:I still stick to the advice noidaboy and i gave you.Decide on the speakers and the amp.Get them isntalled and then audition each and every sub,be it ID or GZ by hearing them in your car.Every car will sound different.There are too many variables.The HU will be different,the cabin acoustics will be different etc.Hear a gz sub in your car and then hear an ID sub in your car.But keep the sub gain settings on the amp the same for all the subs.This will tell you which sub sounds louder and cleaner.

Last edited by hellspawn : 6th October 2008 at 02:30.
Old 6th October 2008, 08:31   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
P.S:I still stick to the advice noidaboy and i gave you.Decide on the speakers and the amp.Get them isntalled and then audition each and every sub,be it ID or GZ by hearing them in your car.Every car will sound different.There are too many variables.The HU will be different,the cabin acoustics will be different etc.Hear a gz sub in your car and then hear an ID sub in your car.But keep the sub gain settings on the amp the same for all the subs.This will tell you which sub sounds louder and cleaner.
That's what i will do.

Trying to get some ride to audition the illusion

Sub is almost finalized ( 1201.1 if available ) else 14001!
Old 6th October 2008, 10:22   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4.The 2 GZ subs are running on 1200W rms.
Sir, get your facts right at the first place!

JBL is 1114W RMS @ 2 ohms @ 14.4V.. Recalculate!

Also, I would like to point here that the same set-up in my car woulld still play louder and accurate in a hatchback!
Old 6th October 2008, 10:28   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
What was the problem ?

Rainbow : Were good enough
Illusion : Still to audition but heard they are more laid-back

Rear Fills : Dont want to cut anything , so cant decide . HELP
We dont know what the problem was. We fixed it and it has never happened again.

If you liked Rainbow what about DLS?

rear fills: choose the same brand as front and get what fits in stock locations.
Old 6th October 2008, 10:39   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
If you liked Rainbow what about DLS?
Sir he liked JBL the most. I would suggest him to also audition JBL Power series comps and subs.
Old 6th October 2008, 10:49   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Sir he liked JBL the most. I would suggest him to also audition JBL Power series comps and subs.
I think JBL power series components would be out of budget, secondly JBL power series subwoofers are available only in Dual 4 ohm and he needs a pair. So, given his preferences, I think GZ would be his best bet! cheers:
Old 6th October 2008, 12:03   #86
BHPian

abhinav its nice to know that you are auditioning before buying the product.all the subs that you have mentioned are nice products.as far as id max is concerned give them the right power and they will knock you down.
i am not a spl guy but believe me in future if i ever build a spl system i look no further then the mighty id maxs.
if you really want to see those monsters perform then please ask lbm to give you an audition in his car.if you are looking for spl then i am sure you will never look into any other sub.

cheers
Old 6th October 2008, 14:30   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zucchero View Post
abhinav its nice to know that you are auditioning before buying the product.all the subs that you have mentioned are nice products.as far as id max is concerned give them the right power and they will knock you down.
i am not a spl guy but believe me in future if i ever build a spl system i look no further then the mighty id maxs.
if you really want to see those monsters perform then please ask lbm to give you an audition in his car.if you are looking for spl then i am sure you will never look into any other sub.

cheers
Phaji his total bugdet is of 70k approx. If he goes for IDMAX he will be left with subs only.
Old 6th October 2008, 14:44   #88
BHPian

Audition the Illusions and do an A-B comparision with the JBLs, if you still prefer the JBLs, I believe the JBL power series are a dream come true for any JBL lover. Audtion them and then work around the equipment keeping the cost of the power series components in mind.

As far as the subwoofer is concerned, as noidaboy said. Its easy to audition subwoofers in your own car. Every car has different acoustics. Finally buy the one which appeals to your ears.
Old 6th October 2008, 14:55   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1.The IDv3 was running on 500W rms
I have heard this car and it is not even half loud when compared to Panky`s ride. I would take it as 1/3 only or even less. What say Anibhav ?
Old 6th October 2008, 16:20   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Sir, get your facts right at the first place!

JBL is 1114W RMS @ 2 ohms @ 14.4V.. Recalculate!

Also, I would like to point here that the same set-up in my car woulld still play louder and accurate in a hatchback!

I think JBL power series components would be out of budget, secondly JBL power series subwoofers are available only in Dual 4 ohm and he needs a pair. So, given his preferences, I think GZ would be his best bet! cheers:
Notchback.

I really liked the one in your car panky

I truely understood the meaning of a laid back sound and i dont want any laid back sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by zucchero View Post

cheers
Thanks man
I have auditioned the ID max in a friends car who lives in Jaipur and had come to Delhi for some work.
After that , i auditioned the GZs and they were like amazin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Phaji his total bugdet is of 70k approx. If he goes for IDMAX he will be left with subs only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post
Audition the Illusions and do an A-B comparision with the JBLs, if you still prefer the JBLs, I believe the JBL power series are a dream come true for any JBL lover. Audtion them and then work around the equipment keeping the cost of the power series components in mind.

As far as the subwoofer is concerned, as noidaboy said. Its easy to audition subwoofers in your own car. Every car has different acoustics. Finally buy the one which appeals to your ears.
Will do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I have heard this car and it is not even half loud when compared to Panky`s ride. I would take it as 1/3 only or even less. What say Anibhav ?
Um. Abhinav
I'd not say 1/3 but ya the kick was lower as compared to panky's car
Closed Thread