Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 30th September 2008, 17:27   #16
BHPian

Default hi

yep same seating arrangements for 3.0 and 2.2.
Its the one without the fan (for the processor). There is a fan , but its not for the cpu, its for the motherboard bios chip.I am still trying to get Mother Board Reader software configured to read data of the mb, once i get it done shall post some readings, btw it uses only 3-5 watts power, so heating is not an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobinjv View Post
Dude, Can the same place be used on the new safari's too?
nc1bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 17:49   #17
BHPian

Try speedfan. They have a small program that shows the CPU and HD temp and some etc etc stuff.
jobinjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 17:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

Terrific job nc1bad. Would be useful if you could put up the prices for each component & the total cost of the set up.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 18:11   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Terrific job nc1bad. Would be useful if you could put up the prices for each component & the total cost of the set up.
I guess he has already done that in the 1st post...
The_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 19:39   #20
BHPian

Default speed fan

hi, the reason i am trying to get Motherboard reader to work is basically theres a plugin for the same in CF2. Using MBR i can directly read data from CF
Quote:
Try speedfan. They have a small program that shows the CPU and HD temp and some etc etc stuff.
Old 30th September 2008, 20:10   #21
BHPian

Oh ok. And is it for sure the OBD Scanner will work on the Safari.

Do you have more pics like how the power line is done and other stuff, the screen on the dash. BTW which screen is it.

Last edited by jobinjv : 30th September 2008 at 20:13.
jobinjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 22:21   #22
BHPian

Congrats man,how the practical usage and does it justify the money,i have my eyes on one of these from a long time.
noidaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 12:36   #23
BHPian

not sure about OBD scanner, some engine parameters may not show, will know only after i pick up one. Regarding installation pics everything was super concealed by my fitter, as u can see in the pics, he dismantled almost the entire dashboard for the wiring, so dont have more pics on the same. I am using a 7" touchscreen VGA , has to be VGA because on clarity issues.

Quote:
Oh ok. And is it for sure the OBD Scanner will work on the Safari.

Do you have more pics like how the power line is done and other stuff, the screen on the dash. BTW which screen is it.
Praticality for me is basically email on the go (need to move around controlling 5 centers) , GPS ,entertainment system and OBD. Centrafuse reads out (female voice, kinda like James Bond's car he he ) the email received, then u can reply,forward, do whatever u want with it. As said in almost all car-pc posts ,practicality is endless. But you do need to ensure that u are building a proper pc. Taking parts that are not suitable for car environment because they are the cheaper option will only cause more head aches.
You can spend 6000k or 40,000k for ICE, but then ultimatly its up to you to decide whether or not its worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
Congrats man,how the practical usage and does it justify the money,i have my eyes on one of these from a long time.
Old 2nd October 2008, 13:28   #24
BANNED

kooooll.. i like your project. welcome to the carputer world. let me know if you face any problem in making the serial remote receiver for carpc. i have one and is working perfectly with my pioneer steering remote.
monty9991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008, 16:39   #25
BHPian

Default thanks

hey thanks, needed to know something regarding IR, i am planning to use winlrc via girder , wanted to know if i can directly configure girder to accept IR commands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty9991 View Post
kooooll.. i like your project. welcome to the carputer world. let me know if you face any problem in making the serial remote receiver for carpc. i have one and is working perfectly with my pioneer steering remote.
Old 2nd October 2008, 20:06   #26
BHPian

Default screen shots

hi guys attached some screen shots/pics showing media screen, phone, email , navigation and trip computer

Added list of to do things:
1) Main : A reset switch for the pc, after all its windows!!
Attached Thumbnails
Car pc for Safari-dsc00252.jpg  

Car pc for Safari-dsc00253.jpg  

Car pc for Safari-dsc00254.jpg  

Car pc for Safari-dsc00255.jpg  

Car pc for Safari-dsc00257.jpg  

Car pc for Safari-dsc00258.jpg  

Old 3rd October 2008, 20:47   #27
BHPian

great man !!!

which gps receiver you are using ?

and how u embed the maps in the interface
smokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008, 22:02   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc1bad View Post
hey thanks, needed to know something regarding IR, i am planning to use winlrc via girder , wanted to know if i can directly configure girder to accept IR commands.
i am using igorPlug as plugin for girder to accept the commands thru Girder. and works like a charm.
monty9991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008, 22:29   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc1bad View Post
hi guys good morning, have posted more pics showing the cpu install , the keyboard cum trackball unit i took from a reliance kiosk and also a pic of the dash board showing why it is not feasible to install the screen where the HU is located :

(@ speedzak) dont think gpu can be added to this unit, as it uses a ITX motherboard and i am running it on a 100 watt smps.

Anyways the processor is Intel Atom ( dual core) with 1 gb DDR2 PC 667 ram, it plays games like GTA SA without any problems.

Next list of addons are :
1. Custom made IR to serial port receiver , so that i can use the pioneer remote control to change songs etc

2. OBD II scanner device.

3. Head rest displays , or just one additional display for rear passengers
Have tried out Atom with 1GB on XP lap(HP Leap and Asus), its fast! Didnt believe it was dual core ( even though it showed up on properties)

Where did the keyboard go? Neat install! The CPU is hidden.

Last edited by jkdas : 3rd October 2008 at 22:33.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 13:13   #30
BHPian

Default DIY IR Reciever

hi guys , after a lazy start on a sunday morning , i completed the entire process of getting my IR installed,it worked fine for 3 days , then suddenly went dead , dont know whether its a hardware or software problem, should check on it this sunday and update!
Attached Thumbnails
Car pc for Safari-dsc00264.jpg  

Car pc for Safari-dsc00265.jpg