Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 10th January 2010, 13:07   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc1bad View Post
hi no problem, glad to cater to your doubts:
1) The layout and procedure of wiring was done by me, but i did use a professional audio installer to get much cleaner and concealed job done. I had to remove seats, dash panel etc so i needed someone who knew how to do all this. You can do it on your own its not that difficult.
2 & 3) For audio from your PC , you can connect the pc either directly via amp, or using line in on your HU or if you have a pioneer HU , you can do what i did, mod the cd changer cable to allow AUX IN.
4) I used the SMPS from iRIDE, it switches on when the key is switched on and also shuts down when the key is removed, it has a lot of features which are beneficial.
From what i have understood so far are as below::
I will assemble a CPU with a smaller cabinet, The monitor will be touch screen, I am assuming that touchscreen cable directly fits in PC VGA\AGP slot.
Did you connected SMPS as follows
SMPS------IGNITION KEY ------ BATTERY or something else.
I have a AuX in support(PIN) on my HU, so , should i just provide a line out cable from PC to HU. or plz elaborate how to mod that cd changer cable.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 18:08   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
From what i have understood so far are as below::
I will assemble a CPU with a smaller cabinet, The monitor will be touch screen, I am assuming that touchscreen cable directly fits in PC VGA\AGP slot.
Did you connected SMPS as follows
SMPS------IGNITION KEY ------ BATTERY or something else.
I have a AuX in support(PIN) on my HU, so , should i just provide a line out cable from PC to HU. or plz elaborate how to mod that cd changer cable.
for touch screen make sure its a touch screen monitor and not a touch screen display. Monitor will have VGA input.
SMPS comes with the connection points. One for battery, one for ACC and one neutral.You need to connect them accordingly.
AuxIn should work fine, i did not have aux in thats why i had to mod the cable.
nc1bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 11:28   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
for touch screen make sure its a touch screen monitor and not a touch screen display. Monitor will have VGA input.
SMPS comes with the connection points. One for battery, one for ACC and one neutral.You need to connect them accordingly.
AuxIn should work fine, i did not have aux in thats why i had to mod the cable.
Thanks bro!.
you have been very calm throughout replying my numb queries, Thanks again for that.
I am planning for a Pentium 2 or 3 motherboard should it work fine.
HDD should i purchase normal one or any special jerk handling HDD.
Where should i fit the CPU and have you taken USB output from motherboard to dashboard. AFAIK USB cables donot work above 2mts length how to compensate for that.

Now comes some software queries
1) How to install centrafuse software on HDD, does it requires any Operating system or it has a bootable cd\dvd which directly installs it on HDD.
2) How to attach a GPS system to the car, please elaborate if you have one in your car.

Hey, I am feeling shy now as i am bombarding you with questions, please forgive me for that.
Old 12th January 2010, 01:06   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Thanks bro!.
you have been very calm throughout replying my numb queries, Thanks again for that.
I am planning for a Pentium 2 or 3 motherboard should it work fine.
HDD should i purchase normal one or any special jerk handling HDD.
Where should i fit the CPU and have you taken USB output from motherboard to dashboard. AFAIK USB cables donot work above 2mts length how to compensate for that.

Now comes some software queries
1) How to install centrafuse software on HDD, does it requires any Operating system or it has a bootable cd\dvd which directly installs it on HDD.
2) How to attach a GPS system to the car, please elaborate if you have one in your car.

Hey, I am feeling shy now as i am bombarding you with questions, please forgive me for that.
you can purchase a normal SATA HDD which comes for Laptop.
it should work fine.

Intel ATOM based board CPU would be much cheaper and faster than a second hand pentium 2 or 3. it would be under 4K for Atom based motherboard which comes with a CPU.

you'll first install a OS like windows xp or win7, then you'll install the centrefuse software.

you'll need to buy a GPS antenna which will get attached to one of USB port of your carputer and will talk to satellites for your locations.

EDIT: no one should feel SHY on asking a questions here, after all we all support each other, thats the best thing about being at Team-BHP.

Last edited by ghpk : 12th January 2010 at 01:08.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 11:50   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
you can purchase a normal SATA HDD which comes for Laptop.
it should work fine.

Intel ATOM based board CPU would be much cheaper and faster than a second hand pentium 2 or 3. it would be under 4K for Atom based motherboard which comes with a CPU.

you'll first install a OS like windows xp or win7, then you'll install the centrefuse software.

you'll need to buy a GPS antenna which will get attached to one of USB port of your carputer and will talk to satellites for your locations.

EDIT: no one should feel SHY on asking a questions here, after all we all support each other, thats the best thing about being at Team-BHP.
Ok!, I have asked about a DC to DC power supply at a shop he quoted some 3-4K for that. Is it right price?
I have a NIPPON HU purchased for some 13K, it has a AV IN support at the back of its panel(like in Home DVD players), I will be going to attach a cable from PC sound card to the AVIN slot for speakers connectivity. so should it be fine for me? as i have no amplifier for speakers therefore i will have to use HU for amplification purpose.
Lastly, Have you fitted a USB slot at front dashbord for pendrives. I have heard that USB cables doesnot work above 2mts how should i get it working.
Old 13th January 2010, 17:36   #66
BHPian

Default Great Install

@ghpk

Congratulations and good work.

You have got a wonderful install there. I am working on a similar project. Plan to use a Atom processor. Got a power supply (M2ATX M2-ATX 160W Intelligent DC-DC PSU) thats good enough for 160W. I have a Earthmate GPS receiver that will go with the install. The audio is to be routed through the HU (AUX IN at the back). I plan to fit it under the front passenger seat primarily to make it easy to access and secondly so that the USB ports are reachable by extension. You seem to have overcome the issue of USB length somehow. Would be grateful if you can share the troubles and solutions that you faces during the install as a project log. I am also on the lookout for a 7" touch sceen monitor. It will help if you can share the locations from where you procured the goods.

There are other things that I plan to do as an extensions. Plan to provide a screen for gaming alongwith a USB gamepad for the back seat. So I need a second VGA connector. Let me know if you have info on existing motherboards that can support a VGA card or can support two monitors directly.

Thanks a ton for sharing.
gharika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 16:30   #67
BHPian

@gharika: I think you are referring to my system regarding usb over 2 meters etc.
1) You need a device called "active usb" to increase range to about 5 meters. My PC is located in the boot and have two active usb ports installed at the dash.
2) For second VGA screen , you can buy a USB to VGS adapter. This should cater to your requirement.

@mercedised: Can you post a pick of your DC - DC converter? so things are clearer. Try iRIDE , he has good parts.

Last edited by nc1bad : 16th January 2010 at 16:34.
Old 9th March 2010, 16:38   #68
sun
BHPian

Default need advice

Hello nc1bad, nice install there, I am also in the research phase for setting up a carpc in my safari, hope you don't mind answering a few questions for me ..

1. Hows your carpc after this many months ? Any hardware problems ? reliability issues ? Are you using it regularly ?

2. What do you use it primarily for, music ? GPS ? Movies ? are you satisfied with its performance ?

3. How do you switch on the pc ? Does it come on by itself whenever you start your car or you have set it up to be switched on manually?

4. Why did u choose the position behind the rear jump seat rather than putting it beneath the front passenger seat ? It could have eliminated the need for longer vga cables and active usbs .. just my opinion, now at its present postion, the pc is totally unobtrusive. Did you modify the seat frame to put the pc there ? I don't see enough space with the original position of the seat.

5. You said in your Next list of additions - Addition of head rest displays - did you do that ? If so how did you do it / plan to do it? Does your board support dual displays.

6. where did you get usb header that can be screwed on to the dash? is it available locally or you had it made ?

I know its a lot of questions, please bear with me ..
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 13:56   #69
BHPian

hi, i have answered in bold below
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
Hello nc1bad, nice install there, I am also in the research phase for setting up a carpc in my safari, hope you don't mind answering a few questions for me ..

1. Hows your carpc after this many months ? Any hardware problems ? reliability issues ? Are you using it regularly ? None, everything is running perfect, you need to spend a bit more and build a stable system

2. What do you use it primarily for, music ? GPS ? Movies ? are you satisfied with its performance ? Mainly music and Nav

3. How do you switch on the pc ? Does it come on by itself whenever you start your car or you have set it up to be switched on manually? its wired to the ignition, it starts up when the key is turned, shutsdown when the key is removed

4. Why did u choose the position behind the rear jump seat rather than putting it beneath the front passenger seat ? It could have eliminated the need for longer vga cables and active usbs .. just my opinion, now at its present postion, the pc is totally unobtrusive. Did you modify the seat frame to put the pc there ? I don't see enough space with the original position of seat. Did not require any mods, it fits perfectly. Front seats have two amps and changer, plus its better for me due to access for maintenance.

5. You said in your Next list of additions - Addition of head rest displays - did you do that ? If so how did you do it / plan to do it? Does your board support dual displays. Na, still running on single display

6. where did you get usb header that can be screwed on to the dash? is it available locally or you had it made ?
Its the same dual usb port you get for pc, costs around Rs. 100. You need to do some DIY so that it fits properly

I know its a lot of questions, please bear with me
Anytime, sorry for the late reply though
Old 19th March 2010, 09:27   #70
sun
BHPian

thank you nc1bad for the reply,

Quote:
its wired to the ignition, it starts up when the key is turned, shutsdown when the key is removed
Donít you find that annoying especially when you are on short runs ? why didnít you wire the power supply in ď dumb psu modeĒ and keep a manual switch for on and off ?

I read from somewhere in a post by you that you are having electrical interferences in your monitor when you use the headlights. Have you solved that issue ? if so how ?

How have you powered the monitor ? is it regulated 12v or otherwise ?

how is the performance of the monitor in sunlight ? is it readable ?

Quote:
Its the same dual usb port you get for pc, costs around Rs. 100. You need to do some DIY so that it fits properly
That is very ingenious..

Last edited by sun : 19th March 2010 at 09:30.
Old 20th March 2010, 12:12   #71
BHPian

nope, its not annoying at all. I am completely dependent on the pc for music. I use hibernation rather than shut down. It takes the system 10secs to power up and play music. Car PC software is totally different from regular media players. It pauses the audio , gps etc when system goes to shutdown/hibernation, and resumes from the same point once it "wakes" up. My system as i said before requires 10secs to be completely online. And use XP,, it has never failed to start up at key turn till date.

also the smps is pretty good, it withstands engine crank, power off and on are key dependent and it has a auto cut off incase the system hangs during shutdown, so that it does not drain the battery.

The monitor interference is still present, but not to a great extent. I did not actually try to solve it , as it does'nt bother me that much. i am using a regular power supply/ direct battery connection.

Monitor visibility is acceptable. depends on the type of front end skin you use, lighter skins are easier to read during day time.

Quote:
thank you nc1bad for the reply,

Donít you find that annoying especially when you are on short runs ? why didnít you wire the power supply in ď dumb psu modeĒ and keep a manual switch for on and off ?

I read from somewhere in a post by you that you are having electrical interferences in your monitor when you use the headlights. Have you solved that issue ? if so how ?

How have you powered the monitor ? is it regulated 12v or otherwise ?

how is the performance of the monitor in sunlight ? is it readable ?

That is very ingenious..
Old 21st March 2010, 10:55   #72

Hi dude,
I am really impressed and interested in carputer to fix in my Safari. Do you know anyone fixing it in chennai
hai_sudhan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 13:52   #73
sun
BHPian

thankyou nc1bad for the reply.

I will need a help...Can you post a closeup pic of the monitor install, I would like a view of the back of th monitor; with details of the routing of the cables into the dash.

I hope I am not asking too much, bcos I am planning to install the monitor in the same location & would like an insight into the monitor install.

won't you be able to reduce the monitor interference if you take regulated 12v from the DC DC PSU?
Old 21st March 2010, 14:38   #74
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
nope, its not annoying at all. I am completely dependent on the pc for music. I use hibernation rather than shut down. It takes the system 10secs to power up and play music................
Monitor visibility is acceptable. depends on the type of front end skin you use, lighter skins are easier to read during day time.
Hi. First of all. Excellent build I must say.
I'm wondering, how've you managed with the hibernation of the system? When you shut the engine off and the key comes to on position, do you need to wait for the pc to hibernate first or it's connected to the battery and automatically hibernates even if you've taken the key to off position and taken it out?
bharti22shresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 11:16   #75
BHPian

sorry bro dont know anyone in chennai , its pretty simple.Kinda like attaching a home desktop unit. You can ask your local fitter/audio installer to pull the required cables and fix the units.Rest you can do it on your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hai_sudhan2000 View Post
Hi dude,
I am really impressed and interested in carputer to fix in my Safari. Do you know anyone fixing it in chennai
I shall post pics by tomorrow morning.About regulated power supply , i did not actually try it out, will do so soon.

Quote:
thankyou nc1bad for the reply.

I will need a help...Can you post a closeup pic of the monitor install, I would like a view of the back of th monitor; with details of the routing of the cables into the dash.

I hope I am not asking too much, bcos I am planning to install the monitor in the same location & would like an insight into the monitor install.

won't you be able to reduce the monitor interference if you take regulated 12v from the DC DC PSU?
The PSU has three connections:
1. Battery
2. Ignition / something like your on off switch. If power is present on this line the system starts up, if not it shuts down.
3. Neutral

So when i pull the key out , No 2 line sends a shutdown signal to the MB, and the system hibernates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharti22shresth View Post
Hi. First of all. Excellent build I must say.
I'm wondering, how've you managed with the hibernation of the system? When you shut the engine off and the key comes to on position, do you need to wait for the pc to hibernate first or it's connected to the battery and automatically hibernates even if you've taken the key to off position and taken it out?