Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 22nd March 2010, 15:03   #76
sun
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc1bad View Post

I shall post pics by tomorrow morning.About regulated power supply , i did not actually try it out, will do so soon.

Ok thankyou.

I think it will be good for the longevity of your monitor if you give regulated 12v from the PSU, I have read somewhere in mp3car forum.

Last edited by sun : 22nd March 2010 at 15:03. Reason: correction
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 15:10   #77
Senior - BHPian

@sun, how good a regulation (+/-% voltage change at a certain current drawn) must the "regulated 12v from the PSU" be? One would think that the car battery has excellent regulation.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 16:39   #78
sun
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@sun, how good a regulation (+/-% voltage change at a certain current drawn) must the "regulated 12v from the PSU" be? One would think that the car battery has excellent regulation.

i am not into electricals and electronics, so may not able to answer that qestion, but one would be correct in guessing that the electicals in the car will go down as low as 7v when cranking to as high as 14 - 15 v while on a highway run. by regulated i think it should be +/- 5%. a dc-dc psu just does that , converts this range into a more steady current, or that is what I understand ..
Old 23rd March 2010, 00:26   #79
Senior - BHPian

By design, the car's battery system is +/-20%. 14.4V at battery full charge, minimum or no load. At peak crank current, it is 10.6V. Anything less, and your battery is close to giving up. At cranking, all other electrical systems are supposed to go to stand-by, including headlamps if they are on.

You are right, usually any small / low-power systems have on-board DC-DC converters to convert from 12V (or 19V in the case of laptop bricks). Such systems regulate their output to within +/-5% under +/-20% source voltage variation. And for that a battery is the best regulated source voltage. Imagine what we get at the wall socket at home - even though Indian law mandates +/-20% regulation, what we get sometimes is actually +/-50%. Even frequency varies +/-5% against the mandated +/-2% on 50Hz.

12V PSUs meant for carputers have a logical signal output that prevents carputers from operating in crank conditions. This is similar to the behaviour of the head units, where the HU does a restart on cranking. If one takes the computer off hibernation after crank, aall ijj well!

Last edited by DerAlte : 23rd March 2010 at 00:27.
Old 23rd March 2010, 06:37   #80
sun
BHPian

Quote:

12V PSUs meant for carputers have a logical signal output that prevents carputers from operating in crank conditions. This is similar to the behaviour of the head units, where the HU does a restart on cranking. If one takes the computer off hibernation after crank, aall ijj well!
that was a useful insight, thank you, hope my psu (I am planning an M3 ATX) works as advertised..
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:03   #81
Senior - BHPian

Carputer dc-dc psu have regulator built in to it which helps to continue power the car pc even when the car is being cranked unlike the head units which go off and come on when cranking as ACC power is cut off while car is cranked.
gigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 19:31   #82
sun
BHPian

Quote:
I shall post pics by tomorrow morning.
just a reminder about the photographs - hop you are not busy..
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:20   #83
BHPian

sorry for the delay, was kinda tied up with work

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
just a reminder about the photographs - hop you are not busy..
Attached Thumbnails
Car pc for Safari-img00213201004162025.jpg  

Car pc for Safari-img00212201004162024.jpg  

nc1bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 15:57   #84
Senior - BHPian

Hello @nc1bad - are you sure these are the pics you wanted to post? They seem kind of upside down rear view of the monitor!
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:43   #85
BHPian

he he yeah,, when i viewed them in picasa they were upright, after uploading them they seem to be inverted.

Quote:
Hello @nc1bad - are you sure these are the pics you wanted to post? They seem kind of upside down rear view of the monitor!
nc1bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:14   #86
BHPian

you can even use rotate option in ms paint and then save them.

Also a view from front would have let us understand it better.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 23:07   #87
sun
BHPian

Quote:
sorry for the delay, was kinda tied up with work
thats ok, my project is also delayed, as usual...

but those are the exact photographs that I needed , thank you
Old 4th May 2010, 23:27   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
he he yeah,, when i viewed them in picasa they were upright, after uploading them they seem to be inverted.
This is what happens when you have late night collage.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 18:15   #89
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: more installation pics

Quote:
2. OBD II scanner device.

3. Head rest displays , or just one additional display for rear passengers
It has been a long time since I was building a carputer but due to some unavoidable circumstances I have not finished yet. I have yet gain started this project and now I need a Touchscreen 7''. I have searched over net and have found them ranging from 120$-1000$. I have finalized on this ones:

1) 7 Inch HD Touchscreen Car Monitor (HDMI, AV, VGA) | eBay

2) VM70 7in LCD widescreen touchscreen monitor, VGA Wide XGA WXGA WSXGA+ monitor screen touch, touch screen display

3) 7" Car PC Reverse Color Display 2 RCA AV VGA POS Touch Screen TFT LCD Monitor CH | eBay

Need your advice on which one to buy. The third one is from Hongking, rest on them from US.

Also, I would like to know how to open the center console. Today, I removed the center console AC Vents and found that there are 4 screws which hold the center console. Does the air direction knobs and other mechanisms needed to be removed?

Now, I have made a wooden box to eliminate any short circuits. How about the processor and PSU. I have contacted iRide through Telephone, Mobile, email. But no response, they don't pick phones and now not replying to any mails.

I will also mount the Cabinet in the same way as you have done below the 3rd row seats. Is there any better position?

What extending cable should be used to connect the Touchscreen Monitor to PC VGA slot?

Is 160W PSU sufficient to power 4 USB, ATOM processor?

Last edited by mercedised : 25th December 2011 at 18:17.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 11:06   #90
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Car pc for Safari

Where in the center console are you planning to mount the 7" screen? AFAIK, unless one does very drastic modifications (not worth it IMHO), there is no space to recover for the screen. Even if you remove the HU.

Atom, especially the dual core ones, are sufficient as a carputer. The 160W PSU is sufficient for the Atom boards (which one are you planning to buy?). You shouldn't be worried about short circuits and use a wooden cabinet. A wooden cabinet will actually help temperature rise inside the cabinet. If you are really worried about short circuits, use a stiff plastic sheet (like they use in plastic file folders) to insulate the PCB from the cabinet.

The best place to mount the carputer is below the passenger seat - enough clearance. The advantage is shorter cable lengths to the screen and amp.