Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 2nd October 2008, 21:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Suggestion regarding the Amp and Sub

Hi, I am going for an upgarde and wanted to ask few questions. To start with my current set up : HU Pio 6950 powering Sony explode coaxl at the rear, Front Hertz DSK 165 comps and Sub Pio VCCS series 12" in a sealed MDF box powered by Sony 4chl 600W amp brigded with front comps also.
Now i was thinking of having a new Sub with a Mono. Wanted to know how DUB4001 (mono amp) 1*400 watts with Audiobahn Sub AW122N 12" SVC 550 W RMS Cast Basket will sound togther???
Will i need to have a new inclosure for this sub or it can be fitted in the current Sealed box? Is the amp capable enough to power the sub?

All in all, is this combo right?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008, 21:25   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Nitin. In my opinion, your current Pioneer 12" is a safer bet than the subwoofer you are considering.
Why don't you build a proper box for it, using the correct specs? You may not need to change the woofer at all!

Then spend on a good monoblock. There are options available from quite a few brands. I'd avoid the DUB.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008, 21:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sam for the advice. Do you think if i add another 4 chl amp e.g kenwood (dont remember the model#), and use it to run only the Pio sub, will it work?? i mean is it a better choice compared to adding a DUB Mono?
the reason i want to add a new Sub is cause i need more punch and right now i am not getting that,so thought of adding a mono and new sub. Price is the major factor here that's why i chose DUB mono cause i could only find this amp under 10K, same with the Audiobahn Sub.
Old 2nd October 2008, 21:49   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Thanks Sam for the advice. Do you think if i add another 4 chl amp e.g kenwood (dont remember the model#), and use it to run only the Pio sub, will it work?? i mean is it a better choice compared to adding a DUB Mono?
the reason i want to add a new Sub is cause i need more punch and right now i am not getting that,so thought of adding a mono and new sub. Price is the major factor here that's why i chose DUB mono cause i could only find this amp under 10K, same with the Audiobahn Sub.
Why would you buy a 4 channel amplifier and waste 2 channels?
If it is Kenwood you like, Kenwood has a nice monoblock you can buy. It's popular and I hear it sounds pretty good.
There are other options for a mono amp for less than 10K,.

I suggest you get a good mono amplifier and build a new box for your woofer. It is the best suggestion I can think of.
Old 3rd October 2008, 01:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Why would you buy a 4 channel amplifier and waste 2 channels?
If it is Kenwood you like, Kenwood has a nice monoblock you can buy. It's popular and I hear it sounds pretty good.
There are other options for a mono amp for less than 10K,.

I suggest you get a good mono amplifier and build a new box for your woofer. It is the best suggestion I can think of.
Well i was thinking i could bridge them together all 4 chls and run my Sub. I think i saw it somewhere on this site where someone did it. Isnt that possiable?? i know mono makes a diffrnece but i was thinking this might help also.
Old 3rd October 2008, 01:46   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well i was thinking i could bridge them together all 4 chls and run my Sub. I think i saw it somewhere on this site where someone did it. Isnt that possiable?? i know mono makes a diffrnece but i was thinking this might help also.
No that is impossible.
4 channels can only be bridged into 2. It will only work if you have a dual coil woofer.
Old 3rd October 2008, 08:50   #7
BHPian

Yes, if you do not want to spend much on a monoblock, the next best option would be to get a good 2 channel amp and bridge it to power the sub. As Sam said all 4 channels cannot be bridged to drive a SVC sub.
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008, 20:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the advice. Could you please advice which Mono can i get under 10K? i mean company and model #.
I think i will buy the mono first and try if my sub output is incresed with it, then if sub doesnt work then i will change it to some other good sub.
Old 4th October 2008, 22:17   #9
BHPian

There is a 2 channel Kenwood amp that some folks are happy with when bridged and driving a sub (~400w@4 ohms). Comes at about 7k or so. I think 7203. BTW, you really dont need clean power to drive an SPL sub, so get the max power for the buck. Pioneer also has a D series mono that was <10k.

Last edited by determinus : 4th October 2008 at 22:20.
determinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 22:43   #10
BHPian

i'm using JBL GT5 A3001. in my opinion this monoblock amplifier is brilliant for its price. it costs rs 9990 with bill and warranty ( please correct me if i'm wrong sam ). you can get it without bill and warranty for around rs 5000 to rs 6000.
vishnuvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 20:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnuvijay View Post
i'm using JBL GT5 A3001. in my opinion this monoblock amplifier is brilliant for its price. it costs rs 9990 with bill and warranty ( please correct me if i'm wrong sam ). you can get it without bill and warranty for around rs 5000 to rs 6000.
What is the power ratio of this amp? price is cool dont know how much is it in Delhi.
Oh.. my budget has increased to 20K in which i need to have a mono amp and a good Sub. I listen to Electro music most of the time so want a sub which can handle that kind of music. Any suggestion??
Old 7th October 2008, 00:04   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Do you think if i add another 4 chl amp e.g kenwood (dont remember the model#),
Is that a Kenwood 8401? That only gives 180w Rms on bridging.You can use this for speakers.
noidaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008, 00:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
Is that a Kenwood 8401? That only gives 180w Rms on bridging.You can use this for speakers.
Yes that's the one. i saw someone using it as a mono.
Old 7th October 2008, 00:11   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i'm using JBL GT5 A3001. in my opinion this monoblock amplifier is brilliant for its price. it costs rs 9990 with bill and warranty ( please correct me if i'm wrong sam ). .
No you're quite right about the price.
Quote:
you can get it without bill and warranty for around rs 5000 to rs 6000.
No I don't think the price is that low in the grey market.
Old 7th October 2008, 00:44   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Yes that's the one. i saw someone using it as a mono.
Yes it does have a mono option as well.
noidaboy is offline   Reply With Quote