Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2008, 11:31   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Listening tastes shouldn't be altered? Forced?
Please elaborate how?

My opinion is that a person should also be educated what good music is. And the exact way of how it should sound. Ain't it? Else, people will never get an opportunity to understand these beautiful things in the world of music.
I agree a little education is a must but not incorrect one, also as a every individual everyone has a different taste so forcing something on to him that he does not listen to diana krell and listen to 50 cents and how will he understand what a good music should sound is a very bad way. And mostly I see this type of stuff used in this forum to educate newbies
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 11:38   #62
BHPian
 
NOTORIOUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 783
Thanked: 87 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
What the hell.. lol? These are songs? Sounds like instructions.
Sir Ji , these all are typical punjabi songs . i'll try to explain :

"chah da cup" means Cup of tea.
"Cable Taar Kata De" means disconnect the cable from t.v.
"Jatt Kol Barah Bor Di" means jatt has highest model of gun in the village.

hope you understand
NOTORIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 11:42   #63
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,452 Times
Default

For those who feel alienated in this conversation...


This is Miss Pooja, queen of Punjabi music
Name:  3128d1204123185queenofduetsmisspooja1.jpg
Views: 16710
Size:  26.7 KB

And this is Miss Krall, queen of modern sultry jazz
Name:  versxr018inset2.jpg
Views: 7891
Size:  36.4 KB

And that's Chamkila. Queen.
Name:  chamkila.jpg
Views: 2637
Size:  90.4 KB

Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 11:45   #64
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
For those who feel alienated in this conversation...
what about Madonna? Queen of Shock Pop?

What about the divas? (Donna Summer, Patti LaBelle, Gloria Gaynor...)

What about the fat ladies? (Ella, Eartha, etc..).
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 11:47   #65
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,452 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
hope you understand
I'll try

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
"chah da cup" means Cup of tea.
Roger that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
"Cable Taar Kata De" means disconnect the cable from t.v.
Umm.. I kind of understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
"Jatt Kol Barah Bor Di" means jatt has highest model of gun in the village.
"Sir" he said, biting his lip hard so as to not explode with laughter and spray the fine Sikh gentleman, "No I do not understand. Please elaborate."
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 12:05   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 308 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Listening tastes shouldn't be altered? Forced?
Please elaborate how?

My opinion is that a person should also be educated what good music is. And the exact way of how it should sound. Ain't it? Else, people will never get an opportunity to understand these beautiful things in the world of music.
Let me explain this.

Suppose you are a guy who does not listen to punjabi / rock and prefer only love songs or house mix.

And the car you go for audition into , the guy listens to only punjabi and rock.

If you do not take your cd along , you will be forced to listen to that particular music.

So its better to take your CDs along for audition rather than listening to the ICE with songs you would never want to listen to.

What it does is that you will not be able to understand the settings and your requirement until you know what kinda sound you need and that will come only when you listen to different ICE with your choice ( preferably same songs)
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 12:06   #67
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: India
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 16 Times
Thumbs up My god! When will this stop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I agree a little education is a must but not incorrect one,
Incorrect education? What is correct and what is incorrect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
he does not listen to diana krell and listen to 50 cents and how will he understand what a good music should sound is a very bad way.
Many big names in music has done the same, said the same.
I still remember the big riff caused in God's own country when a music director recreated R&B kind of an album. Many traditional musicians strongly opposed it by calling it horrible sounds and noises' compilation sold in the name of music. They could not agree to what he called as music.
Do you think Mozart will ever agree to what Akon calls as music? Or Subbalakshmi to baby doll?
That was always normal in music. Nothing new.

The word MUSIC is a very general term.
Sound of wind, thundering clouds, raindrops are also music by it's own. A person playing an instrument or singing solo is also music by it's own. But some will always prefer to call the playing of an instrument as music rather than the sound of clouds or a cracking tree. He may even go to the extent of calling everything else as crap. That's true love and passion for his kind of music. Nothing wrong in that.
We cannot keep on fighting to prove what real MUSIC is and what is not. True music according to many will always be something which is crap for others. Same vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
And mostly I see this type of stuff used in this forum to educate newbies
On the forum? Not very often do I see that. Am I missing something?
Why only newbies? Even older guys are supposed to learn!
I've learnt a lot from this forum. It was because, I always tried out whatever was debated out here.
If not for this forum and the healthy debates, discussions and guidelines, I should've been still stuck with explodes and boom booms!

So let's grow out from this ugly nick picking and tit for tat kind of immature mindset. Come on!
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 12:19   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I still remember the big riff caused in God's own country when a music director recreated R&B kind of an album.

All I have to say now that R&B is kinda major in the market today.

I would agree with panky and Abhinav bring along your own audition disc. Listen to every one and do what you think is the best for you.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 12:31   #69
BHPian
 
Gill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mohali
Posts: 699
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
"Jatt Kol Barah Bor Di" means jatt has highest model of gun in the village.

hope you understand


@Regarding the music,i second speed!
A person evolves with time so does his taste and prefrences,As they say ingnorance is bliss! i was in the bliss land too
but now it's nirvana.
If you are going in for a setup,one must be aware of its range and potenial.Punjabi music comparitevly is based more on instruments,vocal range is not much beacuse punjabi singing is based on three surs instead of seven surs!
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 12:34   #70
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,452 Times
Default

Guys, lets not get carried away and lets not harbour veiled accusations at each other. All of you. Please.

Without getting too complex, Notorious, since you are particular enough that you want a sub for "Punjabi" music and have started a thread for the same, we hope you are wise enough to carry a punjabi CD with you whenever you go for an audition.
And now hopefully, let us continue with your quest for a good subwoofer.

We wish you luck and eagerly await the results. Remember that no brand is better than the other, it is your money and your choice and your ears. Even though they are partially covered by your turban, lol.

Last edited by Technocrat : 14th October 2008 at 13:12.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 13:36   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,462
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Without getting too complex, Notorious, since you are particular enough that you want a sub for "Punjabi" music and have started a thread for the same, we hope you are wise enough to carry a punjabi CD with you whenever you go for an audition.
He IS wise enough actually. He DID carry his own compiled CDs. He auditioned the setups quite keenly and was looking for specific details in the music. He seemed to know exactly what to look for. So like you, I too am wondering (with much amusement) what the fuss is all about.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 13:46   #72
BHPian
 
NOTORIOUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 783
Thanked: 87 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Guys, lets not get carried away and lets not harbour veiled accusations at each other. All of you. Please.

Without getting too complex, Notorious, since you are particular enough that you want a sub for "Punjabi" music and have started a thread for the same, we hope you are wise enough to carry a punjabi CD with you whenever you go for an audition.
And now hopefully, let us continue with your quest for a good subwoofer.

We wish you luck and eagerly await the results. Remember that no brand is better than the other, it is your money and your choice and your ears. Even though they are partially covered by your turban, lol.



Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
He IS wise enough actually. He DID carry his own compiled CDs. He auditioned the setups quite keenly and was looking for specific details in the music. He seemed to know exactly what to look for. So like you, I too am wondering (with much amusement) what the fuss is all about.
NOTORIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 13:49   #73
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: India
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Nice to know that Gunbir.
Otherwise, there would be a lot of misunderstanding that he was just another innocent newbie.

BTW, can't you guys just ring me once while these auditions happen. As I'm in Delhi now for a week, I will be very happy to drop in too.
LBM, Gunbir, Panky! Listening, are you?
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 14:02   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default

MUSIC = My Understanding of Symphony, Instruments and Chords.

Dunno what the fuss is all about!
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 14:28   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,462
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
BTW, can't you guys just ring me once while these auditions happen. As I'm in Delhi now for a week, I will be very happy to drop in too.
We would too, except you were enjoying your siesta.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mumbai Meet 15th January 2012 - Drive Igatpuri 7AM - Lunch Oye Punjabi - 12Noon womanonwheels The Team-BHP Meet Section 531 2nd April 2013 12:27
Cool Punjabi Rules jagpreetsingh Introduce yourself 5 28th March 2005 16:19


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks