Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 9th October 2008, 14:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Cheapest SQ sub+amp combo

I'm not sure if this project of mine will bear fruit, but I need to get this nagging doubt out of my system.

Current system - Alpine HU with one pre out
Hertz Dieci 5" comps up front, 6x9's in the rear.

I'm not going to amp the existing speakers, The levels to which the HU can drive them are more than enough, and with adequate volume levels, i get enough bass, but with the music turned down to ambient levels, when driving etc, I feel the lack of LF extension a lot. I suppose a loudness curve or some sort might help, but I'd prefer the brute force approach to this ( and I've tried playing around with the EQ settings ( helped to some extent) , tried the loudness feature ( also helped with the bass, but ruined the SQ otherwise)

I just want some extension in the LF department. Bass tubes = all mid bass , which I have enough of already. I've heard Redfire's sealed box blau sub driven by a 2 channel blau amp, and it seemed more than enough. Unfortunately I just missed the sale.

So I'm looking for alternatives.

What i want
1- SQ - yes. Types of music = slow country music with slow bass guitars, vocal trance with driving beats. I want them both, but no rock. I like to hear my guitars without any valves adding to the sound. Acoustic is fine with me. No hip hop either
2- Cheap. I'm saving up, but for my education. So I'd like to spend the least possible amout. Around 8k, max 10k ( I'm suggesting this so that people wont start suggesting 10.5k deals- there is a strict physchological 10k limit)
3-ease of install- something the idiot dealers here in tvm can install without messing it up a lot. A visit to emperor at ekm, though highly desirable is out of the question
4. Frequency extension - speaks for itself

What i dont want
1- Loud- The levels from the HU are quite adequate for my needs. And once the LF is redirected to the sub, I imagine it should be even lesser.
2 More power- While we all love to throw more power at everything , I dont want to drain my batteries a lot, since i listen to my ICE with the engine off a lot ( I will be adding a switch to turn off the amp on the dash, but still want something that doesnt sip a lot of juice from the battery)

I think the logical conclusion for the above requirements would be a bridged 2 channel amp driving a sealed box sub.
Any recommended brands/products/alternative configurations?

Last edited by greenhorn : 9th October 2008 at 14:32.
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 16:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Blau GT 2 Special + some budget sub that can pose 4 ohms to the amp.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 16:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

JBL CS1204 aka GT4-12
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 16:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thats a good sub. Does JBL still make an entry level two channel like the CS 60.2?
Old 9th October 2008, 16:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure if the locals can make a box that can do justice to the sub. Whats the cheapest boxed sub i can get ? the blaupunkt GT1200b ?

yup. i think its the GT5-A402. I think i may be able to get a 20% discount on blaupunkt stuff courtesy of a friend of mine who works in bosch

Last edited by greenhorn : 9th October 2008 at 16:52.
Old 9th October 2008, 16:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

I dont like the Blau enclosed sub very much. The JBL GT4-12 is definitely better. I think there is a boxed version of it. If JBL is available in grey there, you could land it cheaper than the Blau.
Old 9th October 2008, 16:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

JBL Car & Marine Audio
is this what you had in mind ?

hey wait , then what's this
JBL Car & Marine Audio

they both look similar. But one is a band pass box , and the other is plain old bass reflex. Any opinions on the band pass?

Last edited by greenhorn : 9th October 2008 at 17:02.
Old 9th October 2008, 17:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

No. I've never heard that one. I meant the boxed version of this one. JBL Car & Marine Audio

An frankly, even a 10" should be good for you. You'll never be able to run the 12" to over 50% of its output levels. The speakers would not be able to catch up.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 9th October 2008 at 17:04.
Old 9th October 2008, 17:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

I cant find any boxed jbl subs <12"
and the speakers catching up with the sub is not an issue, since I'll be running them off a relatively low power amp anyway
But then the doubt is, will clipping be an issue? can these entry level amps ( say a GT5 A402) drive 12" subs safely(without clipping ) if i keep the levels low ?
Old 9th October 2008, 18:22   #10
BHPian

bull + kenwood should fit into your budget.
noidaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 18:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
bull + kenwood should fit into your budget.
Is the Bull sub + enclosure only costs 8.5k.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 19:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

@greenhorn, I also think the Blau amp (GT2 Special) would be a good fit in your budget, with the JBL CS2164 sub or the GT5-12 sub. But I also feel that if you go sealed, the amp may not have the power to drive the sub well enough.

I think considering a used 2-ch or a mono would be a good idea. You'll get more power than most entry-level 2-ch amps or mono amps for the money spent. I'd stick with the JBL CS2164 or the GT5-12 for the sub driver.

We'll also need to figure in the money needed for a pair of RCAs, a bit of speaker cable, and the power wires into the budget. Finolex's equivalent of 8AWG would be enough on the power front (you'll need to buy a fuse holder & fuse separately). You can probably order down MX RCAs of the required length (they would be the most VFM on a tight budget, I think). Overall I think 1.5K would be spent on wiring.

For the rest:
Amp: 4K
Sub + Box: 5K (If you get the driver at grey prices, maybe you can do this in 3.5 to 4K).

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I remember seeing a clarification from Gunbir in another thread that it is 6.5K.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 20:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

@ hydra, though it does sip less juice, I dont want to risk buying an out of warranty Class D amp unless i get it dirt cheap, since once it dies, all i can do is throw it away. The wiring I can get hold of good MX RCA wires, and the finolex shouldnt be a problem either. This fuse holder and fuse thingy I'd overlooked. The allocation looks good , but its product recommendations i want. Any products i might have left out ?
Old 9th October 2008, 20:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

JBL 1205 Subwoofer + JBL GT5602 goes real well and will settel down in Rs.7.5k
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 02:33   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Ina ported box...yes but in a sealed box it costs 6.5k
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote