Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2008, 21:57   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 308 Times
Default

It should work considering the fact that bluetooth telephony is there and N95 supports A2DP

Congrats. Coming soon to see the full demo.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 15:28   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
gigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,321
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

whats the brand of bluetooth dongle you are using ? is is accepted by bluesolei?
gigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 15:40   #48
BHPian
 
smokin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: delhi/gurgaon
Posts: 280
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
It should work considering the fact that bluetooth telephony is there and N95 supports A2DP

Congrats. Coming soon to see the full demo.
yes it's working for sure but haven't tried through centrafuse directly as per the statement by B&T


Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
whats the brand of bluetooth dongle you are using ? is is accepted by bluesolei?
i am using X-micro ,its expensive but working fine ?
which mic you using ?
smokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 16:23   #49
BHPian
 
kailashnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 887
Thanked: 275 Times
Default

Hi smokin,

Congrats on your Carputer - man it rocks. Can you tell us the total cost involved in getting this thing up and running. Also if you can provide a break up cost of each component then it would help many carputer enthusiats to get to understand and try to get what they want. [I am one of those too , i.e if budget permits then.]

By the way what have you used as your CPU - processor, motherboar, ram and hdd. what is the config of your carputer.

Regards,
Kailash
kailashnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 21:42   #50
BHPian
 
smokin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: delhi/gurgaon
Posts: 280
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

the total cost for the project (which is not finished yet )


i forgot Loll


seriously i really don't remember the exact drilling it has done in my pocket!!!

till date approximately 40,000 has been used..

few products are on way to India (hoping to reach India by january'09,if my friend wants me to have it, Yayaati you seeing this)
smokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 04:18   #51
BHPian
 
d3mon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 469
Thanked: 582 Times
Default

probably a stupid question, but why can't u just put a decent touchscreen laptop in it ??

I mean I recently got an HP tablet PC with a 12" touchscreen for around $700.

In india, HCL has touchscreen tablet PC for around 30k.

these are fully featured and all they lack is a GPS reciever, which can be added easily.
This would be the perfect setup !!
all you would need to do is get a car inverter and figure out some way to mount it!

Any idea why this hasn't been tried so far ?
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 12:02   #52
BHPian
 
smokin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: delhi/gurgaon
Posts: 280
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
probably a stupid question, but why can't u just put a decent touchscreen laptop in it ??

I mean I recently got an HP tablet PC with a 12" touchscreen for around $700.

In india, HCL has touchscreen tablet PC for around 30k.

these are fully featured and all they lack is a GPS reciever, which can be added easily.
This would be the perfect setup !!
all you would need to do is get a car inverter and figure out some way to mount it!

Any idea why this hasn't been tried so far ?

if we compare the both it's all the same costing!!

i said till date the total cost is 40k which includes fittings,labor,consoles,gps receiver and other like mouse and keyboard also !!

so if we buy the tablet pc it has 12" which cant be fitted into dash in any car (it can be ) but not practical way ..

and then you have to buy the inverter too.

Why spends money on jugad when you have the product which is in the same costing.

It's my opinion ,it depends what you think
smokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 19:06   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
gigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,321
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

I am using a 70rs computer mic. have not installed it though. any link for the bluetooth dongle? i am using 'enter' brand which comes with older bluesolie. could pair the samsung i780(i hate this phone). What are the surprises coming from US?

Last edited by gigy : 3rd January 2009 at 19:12.
gigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 22:08   #54
BHPian
 
smokin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: delhi/gurgaon
Posts: 280
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
I am using a 70rs computer mic. have not installed it though. any link for the bluetooth dongle? i am using 'enter' brand which comes with older bluesolie. could pair the samsung i780(i hate this phone). What are the surprises coming from US?


lolz i am using the 120rs one ! but mine is the stereo mic which is used by journalist (now looking for original SONY MIC,)

even i bought enter but never tried it (gave it to my owner )

nop i don't have x-micro link bought it from computer market( nehru place)

SURPRISES are Surprises wait till get my hands on it
smokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 13:36   #55
BHPian
 
d3mon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 469
Thanked: 582 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin View Post
if we compare the both it's all the same costing!!

i said till date the total cost is 40k which includes fittings,labor,consoles,gps receiver and other like mouse and keyboard also !!

so if we buy the tablet pc it has 12" which cant be fitted into dash in any car (it can be ) but not practical way ..

and then you have to buy the inverter too.

Why spends money on jugad when you have the product which is in the same costing.

It's my opinion ,it depends what you think
There is more to it that meets the eye, smokin

These tablet PCs are fully featured machines, have higher resolution screens, have blazing fast dual core processors ,atleast 2gb or more of ram, huge hdds and everything that a real laptop/pc has.

Plus it's all in one integrated device, so no messy wires anywhere.
In the end it comes down to the question whether a 12" screen can be mounted on the dash.
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 16:26   #56
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 200
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

@ Smokin

You should paste black regzine like the one used for seat cover on the wodden cover with a rubber solution it will look nice.
Cloud_Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 19:12   #57
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,035
Thanked: 384 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
There is more to it that meets the eye, smokin

These tablet PCs are fully featured machines, have higher resolution screens, have blazing fast dual core processors ,atleast 2gb or more of ram, huge hdds and everything that a real laptop/pc has.

Plus it's all in one integrated device, so no messy wires anywhere.
In the end it comes down to the question whether a 12" screen can be mounted on the dash.
1. D3Mon Car computer is supposed to be integrated to car and work like
Car Audio system ( Possibaly replacing head unit as well). that is you turn on Key and it gets booted up with in seconds unlike normal windows PC / Laptop which takes around a minute.

2. A normal 12' inch screen laptop is still a power hungry device , You can not permanently install and forget . In comparison Intel Atom based devices
are 40W for full board that means no dead battery.

3. Laptop can not be integrated in dash or cant be even fitted on dashbord
also operation while driving is a risk.

If you really want a ready made device then Android G1 phone or OpenMoko is better replacement for CARPC rather then laptop.

If all you want is playing music , videos , Navigation and calls then Android G1 is what you need. But if you want ODB2 Diagnostics , Games , E-Mail with voice readout etc flexibility of installing your own applications on Car PC then a PC in mini ITX form ( 6.5 inch X6.5 Inch ) or Pico ITX( 3.5 inch ) is required.

Yes If Phone makers open up the hardware platform and you know how to cross compile / debug port linux for ARM processor then mobile phone with linux based platform is best choice but sadly this is still at least a couple of years away.
Android is Linux based but hardware is not open so you can not really make an android device yourself.

I have something on this lines ready in my office but can not take out for personal use due to confidentiality / Company IP issues.

PS : Samsung I780 Mirage is a good phone but you need to know the platform

Last edited by amitk26 : 8th January 2009 at 19:15.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 23:41   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 308 Times
Default

some birdy told me you got some updated things, so update it on the forum as well sir.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 23:54   #59
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default

Wow thats newz to me..well i cant even thnik about it because i park on the road.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 12:10   #60
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

a few questions smokin


1. I presume you will be using Windows XP, so what other software for the touchscreen ?
2. Which software for the navigation ?
3. Which media player for playing music?
4. What for BT calls ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks