Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 14th October 2008, 13:43   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

I always thought that whole thing to cover the tweeter was so that annoying kids don't poke the dome in. lol
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 15:51   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I always thought that whole thing to cover the tweeter was so that annoying kids don't poke the dome in. lol
The initial concept of the "little plastic thingy" in from of the tweeter was to simualte the more complex lenses of the 70s (see L91/L94 lens that was used on the L220/L300 Summit etc..). I first saw this lens when the 250Ti / Pro III range was introduced in the late 80s. The Pro III sold for about $200/pr the 250Ti for many times that but they all shared a similar Ti "lensed" tweeter. Today the Pro III is called the Control 1.

Based on some waterfall data I presume that today's infactuation with the ring radiator is an attempt to solve the same issue the "time lens" attempted to. Sometimes however the cure is worse than the problem (in my view).

Sam, before you go looking on the Lansing Heritage Forums I think I should warn you that I have done that. No one, it seems, has tried to deduce the reason behind introducing a "plastic thingy" directly in front of a direct radiating tweeter (horns are another matter).

I figured some of the Gurus would know more.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 23:51   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I figured some of the Gurus would know more.
We'll wait for them shall we?

Ain't no gurus here. We're all a bunch of audio lovers. For some it's a business, for others it's just an expense.
Old 15th October 2008, 01:13   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ain't no gurus here.
At the risk of sounding preachy, I will repeat what is taught to every Sikh:

When in the midst of more learned than you, become the disciple... And when in the company of ones less enlightened, become the teacher. For within everyone of us, lies a Guru and a disciple.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 10:47   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
for others it's just an expense.
...and for some it is a disease! :-)
Old 15th October 2008, 10:48   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
I will repeat what is taught to every Sikh:
When in the midst of more learned than you, become the disciple... And when in the company of ones less enlightened, become the teacher. For within everyone of us, lies a Guru and a disciple.
Gunbir, I have heard these words before, we share the same Gurus (all 10 of them). I think these words are from the Jaap Sahib. It is also later mentioned that "you can learn from anyone". Combine the 2 loosely and you will realise that "everyone is your Guru and everyone is your disciple".

Last edited by navin : 15th October 2008 at 11:01.
Old 15th October 2008, 11:26   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Combine the 2 loosely and you will realise that "everyone is your Guru and everyone is your disciple".
Exactly sir. I try to live by this lesson, sometimes I succeed.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 14:42   #38
BHPian

It's the 938 finally. And im happier, its cleaner warmer more pleasant, less 'high pitched'.
sukrit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 15:48   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Again let me explain.

The GTO 7 series were very forward sounding, bright, open and very attacking in nature. With feedback taken from various countries, JBL decided to change the tone of the 8 series, choosing to give them a warmer sound.

However there are many (ESPECIALLY in India) who love the bright forward sound and likr to play their rock and rap loud and clear. For this, the 947 limited was built.
The 947ltd. carries the same tonal quality as the famous GTO937, but has a more powerful build and voice coil. As the name explains, this is not a regular edition speaker, but a limited edition speaker that will be available for a few more months.
Hi Sam,

Recently when I had been to a general Car accessories shop at my city, i checked the JBL 947 and 937. However my friend who also does car audio installs deferred me buying from them since he feels there are fake JBLs going around in market even with sealed boxes and hence they sell at low prices.

I disagreed with my friend because the shop was selling the JBL speakers with bill/warranty! I'm no expert in this. Do you think this case can be true?

How can I judge if the pack is a true or a fake one?
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 09:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone give me present price of gto 938 6x9 (with and without bill). i was quoted 4990 with bill.
gigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 10:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
Can anyone give me present price of gto 938 6x9 (with and without bill). i was quoted 4990 with bill.
last seen they were going for 3.7K with B&W
4.9K is too much
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 11:09   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Hi Sam,

Recently when I had been to a general Car accessories shop at my city, i checked the JBL 947 and 937. However my friend who also does car audio installs deferred me buying from them since he feels there are fake JBLs going around in market even with sealed boxes and hence they sell at low prices.

I disagreed with my friend because the shop was selling the JBL speakers with bill/warranty! I'm no expert in this. Do you think this case can be true?

How can I judge if the pack is a true or a fake one?
There are no fake JBL speakers available to the best of my knowledge. However bill and warranty is a safe bet and look for 2X 3D security holograms on the box.
Old 27th November 2008, 18:23   #43
BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
There are no fake JBL speakers available to the best of my knowledge. However bill and warranty is a safe bet and look for 2X 3D security holograms on the box.
Thanks Sam, I'll look for those holograms as you suggested!

Cheers~
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 16:42   #44
Senior - BHPian

Gurus i have setup of front JBL GTO 607C and rear its GTO937 powered by GTO75.4 along with GTO 301.1 which is sitting ideally as still not bought woofer (wants to have duel coil ones), now thinking of putting components (must be GTO 608C) at rear as well in door panel and removing the parcel trey, how ill go forward i.e. put new components at front and old ones at rear or directly put the new ones at rear(dont want to open door panels again n again, thanks to Swifts built quality).
Woofer i am looking at is Infinity 1052 or 1252 but its not available in JBL stores or even in grey market any inputs on this?
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 17:41   #45
Senior - BHPian

current setup is the optimal one. stick to it
you wont gain a significant SQ increase by putting comps behind
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote