Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 30th October 2008, 13:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
... Decently packaged, possibly not , but they are pretty well built ...
Decently packaged = Well built, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
... and easily serviced - cheap, locally available components etc, something you cant do when the chinese HU gets flooded with water when offroading
Who wants to service it? Sir, servicing the HU (parts + labour) will cost the same as a new unit. It would be less inconvenient to throw out the faulty one and put a new one. In @kittigadu's own expression on cost tolerance, "without worrying about the unit getting stolen".

Also, it is possible to mount it in a way that even if you are in the jeep with water up to your knees (serious offroading), the HU is nor affected by water.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 14:03   #17
BHPian

well, i have a overhead sound bar like below being fabricated out of alluminium. So, the HU getting wet is not a problem.
Unlike in the photo, it will be inside the cabin on the other side of the pillar.
Name:  sound.jpg
Views: 2014
Size:  39.7 KB

krishna

Last edited by kittigadu : 30th October 2008 at 14:04. Reason: Added a line of text
kittigadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 14:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

packaging meant the way these things as assembled. they are laid out quite spaciously in a big box, with possibly enough space to add a 5A transformer and more ( they use the same case as the ones which runs off mains)

I dont know the current rates ,a few years ago, the board cost a hundred rupees or so, and servicing/replacing the entire PCB will come to about the same amount
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 14:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Ah, you meant the amp kit / board. I don't think @kittigadu expected DIY at that level, and just the amp would not be enough for his needs. He will need the FM and the CODEC+DAC also.
Old 30th October 2008, 14:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

the FM + Codec + DAC duties can be handled by a portable MP3 player/Mobile phone, If he can find a shop which sells one of these/a guy who can make the same , they should be a better option than the Chinese thingies.
Old 30th October 2008, 16:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

greenie, the main point is: as opposed to the IFfy process of making it / getting it made, a ready-made Chinese thingy gives one the solution avoiding going into issues that have got nothing to do with listening to music. Go to the market, you will see there are 10 times more of these selling than the amplifier-vamplifier thing one can argue about till the cows come home.

When one is really hungry, one looks for food for immediate consumption, not 'dishes' or 'recipes' nor DIY. If one is not hungry, one can indulge in Michelin ratings or DIY experimentation.
Old 30th October 2008, 17:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Point taken

I just go a bit overboard sometimes with somethings i consider is the "technically optimal solution". I forget there are other factors at play
Old 7th November 2008, 23:19   #23
BHPian

Default Pen drive head Unit

Today i have enquire about Pen drive and Sd card HU in Hyderabad . They told me Rs.1900 for Head Unit. I did not check. If anybody knows it is available less than that pls let me know.

Regards
S. Das
mituadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2008, 21:14   #24

Have see few of the unbranded FM+USB HUs from 1200 to 1800 in Bangalore.

Another option is this G-Hanz HU. No USB but it has AUX-IN. It comes with 1 yr warranty. Anyone heard of this brand?
fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 20:26   #25
BHPian

Today i have installed USB+FM HU in my car. Sound is OK.

HU-Rs900
Speaker - Rs250
Labour-Rs150

Price in Hyderabad
mituadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 22:48   #26
BHPian

mituadas,
can you post some pictures of the setup.

Regards
Krishna

Quote:
Today i have installed USB+FM HU in my car. Sound is OK.
HU-Rs900
Speaker - Rs250
Labour-Rs150 Price in Hyderabad
kittigadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 02:20   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
DerAlte,
This is exactly what i have been looking for. Shall go to JC road in the next few days.
Did you manage to get some time to go to JC road ? How much do they sell for ? which shop?

Thanks

Amit
techn0l0gist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 18:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthgear View Post
... G-Hanz HU. ... Anyone heard of this brand?
German 'design' house, like Pyle / Lanzar / Legacy in US. Better than picking up a no-name Chinese unit, since these guys pick up the better-made Chinese units and sell them under their own brand. For some products they specify and do good QC/QA.

Decent no-nonsense units, no hi-funda functions. My BIL has a 32" G-Hanz LCD TV he picked up from Metro a couple of years back.
Old 12th November 2008, 20:05   #29

Thanks - this was exactly the feedback I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
German 'design' house, like Pyle / Lanzar / Legacy in US. Better than picking up a no-name Chinese unit, since these guys pick up the better-made Chinese units and sell them under their own brand. For some products they specify and do good QC/QA.

Decent no-nonsense units, no hi-funda functions. My BIL has a 32" G-Hanz LCD TV he picked up from Metro a couple of years back.
fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 17:32   #30
BHPian

Default Cheap Car Audio system

Hi Guys,
I have bought a new Indica Vista TDi Aqua and was looking at very very cheap option of car audio system.

I am not really into music and may listen to FM radio occasionally. I have an excellent sony erricsson walkman phone which I want to use as the only source of music for my car.

I dont need the disk player in the car but somehow be able to play music from my mobile and dont want to spend more that 2000 Rs on the player.

I came across the following link:
Car Mp3 Player With USB/Fm 1000 Watt gifts in india at rediff shopping.

Do you guys think this is worth it?
Can I buy speaker for another 1000 Rs? so that the total cost is 2000 Rs?

Thanks,
Nitin

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 31st December 2008 at 17:51. Reason: search please
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote