Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 3rd November 2008, 14:45   #1
BHPian

Default Almost got the ICE I needed...or did I?

Recently my Pulsar got stolen from the parking of Shipra Mall and then naturally I faced the problem of commuting to office. So we decided to prepone the purchase of our first 4 wheeler. Our family already had 3 WagonRs - i.e. my parents, my maternal families and we were quite convinced and aware of WagonRs capabilities, but the new Swift was just too hard it resist.

Budget was a constraint and so was time. Noida had 3 to 6 months waiting on the diesel models of Swift. The only dealer who said he could get is the car faster was at Lucknow. So we purchased the car from Lucknow, and decided to drive it all the way to Noida/ Indirapuram. The car was finally purchased a few days before Diwali at Lucknow. I bought the Silky Silver Swift LDI model, and the on road cost came to about 5,34,000 including ex-showroom price, registration, taxes and insurance.

I stay at Indirapuram, Ghaziabad, which is next to Sector 63 Noida, but I am not aware of any good car accessories market in Noida so decided to get some basic accessories from Lucknow itself. So I got a simple music system, remote/central locking and reverse lock installer.

Being constrained on budget at the moment, I plan to add to the system slowly in future. I do not listen to hard metal or rock music. I am looking for quality and not loudness and earth shaking bass. The shop I went to in Lucknow almost refused to show me any Pioneer units. He was an authorized Sony dealer and he kept almost all other brands too, but he was stuck fast in trying to sell Sony only. Even after I told him the model number of Pioneer unit I was interested in, he was not in a mood to show anything but Sony. I was not sure how original Pioneer he would hence sell if at all. And when I told him that I need 2 6” components for the front and 2 6” coaxs for the rear (THANKS team BHP forums for this jargon which I could use!) he made it clear that I do NOT need components at all. He sure was taken aback that I seemed to know something about speakers. To prove his point he gave me a demo music by playing only component speakers and to my dismay the sound was not at all what I expected. It was lacking almost all high notes and was just not right with no clear vocals and no highs. The speakers were already there on the shops demo rack. He said that components make sense only with the full setup of sub etc. I am not sure if he was just misguiding me to buy something else. So I decided against making big speakers purchase from him.

So I finally bought the following:
  • Sony XPLOD MEX BT3600U (Rs. 9000)
  • 2 JBL GT5 652 6” speakers for front (Rs. 2900)
At the moment I took only front speakers. In future sometime I would add speakers to my rear door and MAYBE a small sub if needed. Ideally I would look for an arrangement where the sub can be easily plugged out and removed if boot space is needed.

Did I make the right decision or can I somehow correct anything with speakers now?
I am also not aware where to get stuff from in Noida now.

Last edited by skumar69 : 3rd November 2008 at 14:59. Reason: added price
skumar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 15:09   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello skumar,

Do not worry, you haven't bought anything bad at all. You can upgrade later by adding the right speakers.

Maybe later you can shift these speakers to the rear door and buy yourself some components. How does it sound to you? Is the sound up to your expectations considering the budget?
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 15:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Skumar,the Sony MEXBT3600 is a good headunit,JBL 652 are also good choice,I would suggest you install a rear MDF parcel tray for Swift and install JBL938 or JBL947 6x9"inch coaxials,then in near future if you wish you upgrade you can easily attach a 4channel Amplifier a subwoofer and JBL608C components in the front replacing your current JBL652 coaxials
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 15:16   #4
BHPian

I forgot to mention that I bought these speakers with the intention of moving them to the rear doors in future if required.

Sam, Yes, the speakers sure meet my expectation and am not at all sorry that i bought these, so that's good.

Ramie, I did not want to go for a parcel trey as already Swift has a very limited boot space. I intend to use the provided speaker holes in the doors itself.

One query is that why did the dealer demonstrated components sound so horrible and incomplete. Is it true that components need subwoofers and amplifiers etc. to give the complete range?

Note from mod: Posts merged, please do not make new posts within 15 minutes. If you want to add something, use the edit button. You can use multiquote feature also if you want to reply to multiple people.

Last edited by skumar69 : 3rd November 2008 at 15:36. Reason: post cleaned
Old 3rd November 2008, 15:34   #5

Try using a rubber edge 6"x9" speakers at the rear and 2 ch amp with a sub to add the charm...
jayraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 16:00   #6
BHPian

As others said, go for a good pair of comps for front and move the co-axs to rear. Later you can do some damping to the doors, add an amp and sub. Swift is a great car to ICE and experiment
redfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 15:00   #7
BHPian

I had already got a pair of JBL GT5 652 for my rear doors. I wanted to add a pair of components to my Swift front doors, so today I called up Elegant in Lajpat Nagar.

They offered some JBL 60C or something. A pair for Rs. 6000. Is this too high a price?
Old 27th May 2009, 16:03   #8
BHPian

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumar69 View Post
One query is that why did the dealer demonstrated components sound so horrible and incomplete. Is it true that components need subwoofers and amplifiers etc. to give the complete range?
[/b]
Components doesn't always need the amp and sub to make music live.It can be powered straight from the HU itself,if you are not going for an amp.
But by adding an amp, you can give it the correct amount of power or alteast near to it.Also there will be filters to help you listen to specific ranges like HIgh/Low.

And about the demo rack,may be he wanted to show you intentionally that the components weren't good.
jithudigitised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 16:54   #9
BHPian

So finally.. i added the remaining two speakers. I purchases a pair of components, moved my existing coaxials from front to rear, and then got the new components installed in front doors. Sounds great now!. The component tweeters were stuck to the dashboard, facing the top.

Current setup.
HU: Sony XPLOD MEX BT3600U (Rs. 9000)
Rear doors: JBL GT5 652 6” speakers (Rs. 2900)
Front doors:JBL GT5 650C 6” speakers (Rs. 3800)

No amp. No subwoofer.

I hope my setup and prices are decent.

Last edited by skumar69 : 1st June 2009 at 16:55. Reason: typo
Old 1st June 2009, 19:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

nice.. photos of the head unit and the way the speakers have been mounted will be welcome :-)
congratulations though!
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 19:58   #11
BHPian

folks - a quick question, just for info : which is better GT5 650C 6” speakers or the 608c? what's the main difference between the two?
anilagdr is offline   Reply With Quote