Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 16th December 2008, 11:28   #1
BHPian

Default Installed screens in Safari, issue is they power on automatically when car starts

I got 2 headrest mounted screens (some Taiwanese make -- Supertech) fit over the weekend in my Safari EX. I was in a hurry and did not notice then that the screens do not remember their on/off status at the time the vehicle is powered on.

Basically they come on every time i start the vehicle and i have to switch them off manually everytime. This is a pain and when i asked the accessory guy, he said that he can put (read drill) a switch on the side of the console as a main switch for the screens.

Kindly let me know if there is any other way of solving this issue. If a switch is the only soln, i told him that i would rather have a switch installed in one of the blank switches in my console and not drill something on the side.
xbox360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 11:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Most of these do have a setting which, controls its on and off on the car being turned off.
But since you mentioned its a Taiwanese make check it properly, I dont recommend a switch "drilled" rather as you suggested get a power switch in the blanks.
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 12:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Interesting - I got a couple of these screens really cheap so I'll bear this in mind if I ever get around to installing them.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 13:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

They must be connected to the HU,and why your installer has connected their power to battery always ON power thing.

they should be having power only when HU is turned on at least and explicit power ON/Off from screens itself.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 13:37   #5
BHPian

I always thought that even the video screens have a remote on that has to come from the head kinda like the amps. though i wouldn't have one. can anyone confirm?
valhallen.282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 14:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Visit some good installer before doing extra switch or drilling work as it should be having remote power control just like car amps and which should on the screen only when the head unit switches on.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 14:16   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Visit some good installer before doing extra switch or drilling work as it should be having remote power control just like car amps and which should on the screen only when the head unit switches on.
+1 to that. Otherwise, install switch in the blank slot provided.

Power off the HU before switching off the car and see if it reoccurs next time.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 09:17   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
+1 to that. Otherwise, install switch in the blank slot provided.

Power off the HU before switching off the car and see if it reoccurs next time.
Tried all this already.
Actually the problem is that the screens are taking power from clip that goes into the HU. Basically it is parallel not series to the HU. I beleive he did this because there was no power out from the HU.

The screens do have a power on/off switch but the damn things don't remeber their on/off status when the vehicle is powered down (the TVs at home remeber their on/off state when there is a power cut).

I think the safest approach is to use one of the blank spaces and put in a original TATA switch to be the master power control for the screens. i will visit TASS over the weekend to get this done and update.
Old 18th December 2008, 10:49   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
Basically it is parallel not series to the HU.

I think the safest approach is to use one of the blank spaces and put in a original TATA switch to be the master power control for the screens.
Then why don't you try connecting the power in a series fashion rather than parallel? Thus without the HU being on, there is no chance that the screen gets power. Keep the switch thing as a last option. Sourcing the switches for the center panel is a headache all by itself!
Old 18th December 2008, 10:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Then why don't you try connecting the power in a series fashion rather than parallel? Thus without the HU being on, there is no chance that the screen gets power. Keep the switch thing as a last option. Sourcing the switches for the center panel is a headache all by itself!
That is the question, how do you connect them in series if the HU has no 12V output??

Then too as the HU is on 99% of the time, this would mean that the damn screens would be on 99% of the time as well.
Old 18th December 2008, 10:57   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is the question, how do you connect them in series if the HU has no 12V output??

Then too as the HU is on 99% of the time, this would mean that the damn screens would be on 99% of the time as well.
Hmmm... correct. I guess you have to go with the switch thing. Good luck with sourcing the switches though.

If i can come up with some other options before the weekend, i'll let you know here...
Old 18th December 2008, 11:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm... correct. I guess you have to go with the switch thing. Good luck with sourcing the switches though.

If i can come up with some other options before the weekend, i'll let you know here...
Thanks.
I called up Concorde and they told me that the switch costs 180/-. But i am not too sure if he understood which switch i am asking for. Will find out when i go there.
Old 18th December 2008, 11:05   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.
I called up Concorde and they told me that the switch costs 180/-. But i am not too sure if he understood which switch i am asking for. Will find out when i go there.
The reason i told you about the switches is that, the whole thing is one panel once you open up the center console. All switches are attached from behind to a single unit. So you may need to change the whole thing.
Old 18th December 2008, 14:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
The reason i told you about the switches is that, the whole thing is one panel once you open up the center console. All switches are attached from behind to a single unit. So you may need to change the whole thing.

You were right, i went there over lunch today. They said that a switch of this size is not available and they will drill a switch at some location.

I do not like the idea of drilling too much, so am giving up on this power switch thing for now. I will probably let the LCDs glow and spread light to this dark dark world
Old 18th December 2008, 14:21   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You were right, i went there over lunch today. They said that a switch of this size is not available and they will drill a switch at some location.

I do not like the idea of drilling too much, so am giving up on this power switch thing for now. I will probably let the LCDs glow and spread light to this dark dark world
There is a way out. if no one is using the rear ash tray which is mounted on the center panel between the two front seats, under the AC blowers, you can remove that and fix a switch there. So if there are rear passengers, they can operate it on their own. And it won't look bad, trust me.