| || ||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|16th December 2008, 15:17||#1|
ICE Upgrade options for my Ikon
I have plans to upgrade my ICE on my Ikon very soon. I have updated the details of my current configuration below. Reasons for upgrade below:
1) I always feel that my music system is based in the rear. Hope you understand what i mean. Most of the sound comes from the rear. I dont feel enough sound in the front. So for me to have the full effect of the song, i have to increase my sound but that would again be a problem for people sitting in the rear.
2) My Amp cuts off if i change the setting to Loud -> High for more than 20 mins. Basically due to overheating. Is this is a problem with the Amp OR with the wiring?
3) Not enough clarity. Even though i agree you can never get enough of what you have. I am sure even after a possible upgrade, i might still find something lacking.
4) Fed up of the current setup. Need a change.
For the benefit of experts, i have mentioned my current setup below.
Power Output 60 watts RMS x 4 channel at 4 ohms and ≤ 1% THD + N
S/N Ratio 86dBA (reference 1 watts into 4 ohms)
Dynamic Power 145 watts at 2 ohms
Effective Damping Factor 6.39 at 4 ohms
Frequency Response 10Hz - 27kHz (-3dB)
Maximum Input Signal 6.0V
Maximum Sensitivity 100mV
Dimensions 2.2" x 13" x 10.3"
Size 6" x 9"
Nominal Impedance 4 Ohms
Power Handling, Peak 210W
Power Handling, RMS 70W
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 91dB
Frequency Response 50Hz – 20kHz
Pure blue dot-matrix OEL (Organic EL) display
MOSFET 50W x 4
MP3 / WMA playback
iTunes® AAC playback
WAV file playback
iPod® adapter ready
BMX (Bitmetric Equalizer)
5-mode preset equalizer
1-mode custom preset equalizer
3-band parametric equalizer
2-way crossover: HPF / LPF
3-mode selectable loudness
Direct Sub Drive
3 RCA preouts: selectable (front+rear+subwoofer / front+rear+non-fading) Level indicator
Blaupunkt Component Speaker
Dont remember which model. I do have a tweeter along with this.
Its either the GT Series or the Velocity series. Need to check.
The above were bought almost 2 years back. I also do not have a USB option. When i asked a dealer, he said i have to buy a FM/Mp3 converter. (not sure what that is though and also not sure how it helps to connect a USB device).
Advice required on possible options. May be an upgrade or may be how i can tweek the current configuration economically to get the best result.
|16th December 2008, 18:03||#3|
Senior - BHPian
Join Date: Mar 2006
Thanked: 2,231 Times
Ok you need to mention 2 things:
1. Which speakers are amplified by the amplifier and which one of them is supplied by the head unit itself. If the rear speakers are being supplied by the amplifier then switch them to the head unit and amplify the components upfront.
2. mention a working budget so members here can help you out with options in your price range.
After you answer these 2 questions we shall have a better idea. Also please mention the type of music you listen to
|17th December 2008, 22:19||#4|
OK here it goes! Unfortunately i am not too sure how the current setup is. But i meddled around with the connections for some time and this is what i found.
1) The sub woofer wire is joined along with the two rear speakers and hence one output goes to subwoofer and the rear speaker. (thats what i think)
2) There are 2 sets of red and white sockets in the amp and thats connected to two sets of red and white connections (i presume these are for the front speakers)
Looking at the above, you might have guessed i am a noobie.
There is one more problem i discovered. When i increase the volume, the headlight and the cabin light dims with every beat. Is there anything wrong with the connection there? I am not too sure the connection has been set up properly by the people who installed the audio system. Also if i increase the sound above a certain limit, the music almost jams (i mean the whole clarity is gone and feels like the Amp cannot take that much power). Also the music cuts off if i play loud music (Loud > High) for more than 30 mins. I can see the display and the amp power on LED but no output.
Budget can go to a max of 8k.
And the type of music i listen. Absolutely anything that sounds good! But majority of the time i listen to Alternative rock and metal. Nowadays i listen to a lot of trance and party hits.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Upgrade options for Scorpio's suspension ?||forbhaskarm||Modifications & Accessories||40||14th August 2014 12:29|
|Baleno Brake upgrade options||crazydiablo||Modifications & Accessories||27||19th August 2011 01:24|
|The new Ikon's headlights - upgrade options?||Proxima||Modifications & Accessories||13||21st March 2009 23:53|
|Ikon ICE upgrade time for Nitrous! :)||nitrous||In-Car Entertainment||15||14th August 2007 19:45|