Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 9th February 2009, 13:35   #226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Yup. But that was also because you werent able to get the power you desired running to the speakers. So, bridging or going active were the only two options.
True. But we did try bridging too. The active sounds much more cleaner and controlled.
Frank said something about the Eclipse being / not being better than the CDT XOs, but AFAIK, we did the settings from the amp, right?
Old 9th February 2009, 15:15   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Frank said something about the Eclipse being / not being better than the CDT XOs, but AFAIK, we did the settings from the amp, right?
Yes, in your setup the crossover is done at the amp end. Don't ask me how.

If we did it from the head unit, you would not have had full range output to your rear speakers. They would have run like midbasses. (A bit like what they were doing when you brought the car first to me.)
Old 9th February 2009, 15:51   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Frankie, dont do the active business. Its not like we can reduce the XO frequency greatly or get the Lucies to do anything extraordinary. It sounds just right with the supplied crossovers and theres a very very wide range of tweeter attenuation possible.

If you do want to do something fancy, we could bi-amp the set.
Bi-amp wont be possible, then cos we wont get the power desired to run the new sub.
I'm happy with this. If you say the Lucie xo is good, we shall use it itself. In the end its the sound that matters, and I know that if I am happy with the Electras running passive, then the Lucies will be great too.
Waiting for the install to happen soon
Old 14th February 2009, 03:11   #229
Senior - BHPian

U P D A T E ! !

hey guys, the 'big' day is here. tomorrow morning the Esteem is being wheeled in to Hermit Audio for an extended period of installation (3 days, and one of em is a Sunday lol) for its final phase of serious audio upgrades. I have listened to music on the rears since a week, and trust me, i YEARN for my front soundstage now. I just end up switching off the music.
Anyways, from what mr B&T tells me, my sub has 'reached' him. And my Luccent set of Components has also landed in India. Might pick them up on Sunday and drop them off to Hermit on Monday.

Here's what is going to be done:
1. Fibre Glassing of Front Doors
2. Damping of remaining parts of the front doors
3. Installation of the Illusion Audio Luccent IM-6.1 Components (phew, finally)
4. Damping of the Boot in 'problematic' locations
5. 'Maska' Sub (details will be directly divulged in the form of Pics)
6. Customized Enclosure for sub, which is supposed to be a pretty big one, considering subs of this kind need them.

Keep watching this space for details. Wish the final product ends up as well as I expect it to come through. Hermit will be at his usual best, and it will be quite a sea improvement in the front (as compared to when the Electras were there) as the Fibre Glassing and Damping, coupled with the Lucies' stellar performance will up the ante for me.
Cheers guys!!!!
Old 14th February 2009, 03:26   #230
BHPian

Hey frank, at this rate and even in this horrible stock market, I am sure if and when Hermit Audio goes for a public issue, the issue is going to be oversubscribed on the first day !.

Cheers
M M
Old 14th February 2009, 03:30   #231
Senior - BHPian

I'm still waiting for my 'bonus'.. Is one mr kamath reading??
Old 14th February 2009, 03:54   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Bi-amp wont be possible, then cos we wont get the power desired to run the new sub.
Don't you have a dedicated mono to drive the sub ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Hey frank, at this rate and even in this horrible stock market, I am sure if and when Hermit Audio goes for a public issue, the issue is going to be oversubscribed on the first day !.

Cheers
M M
You should think at the rate frank is updating his system in this horrible stock market. I guess is he is right now at his clinic working
Old 14th February 2009, 10:35   #233
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
back to business! im still reading my eyes out on active vs passive, but to no avail
waht do you need to know.

Quote:
Frankie, dont do the active business. Its not like we can reduce the XO frequency greatly or get the Lucies to do anything extraordinary. It sounds just right with the supplied crossovers and theres a very very wide range of tweeter attenuation possible.
B&T I am sure you have the transfer function of the XO somewhere.

Frank if you were to go active you would need a bit of a EQ circuit before each amp to duplicate the transfer function of the passive XO (less the roll off which the active XO will provide). To do this you need to have a working knowledge of any good crossover design software (there are some that are free too - google). I am sure that with a couple of days of fooling around with this software you can figure it out. It ain't complicated.
Old 14th February 2009, 11:23   #234
Senior - BHPian

thanks navin, but ive given up on the active thought, as B&T has practically lived with Illusion Audio x'os and if he says the XO is fine, I can take his word for it! Anyways, Im just leaving for his place right now, and will take a lot of photos and post here.
I am very excited, and this is the first time so much activity is happening on the ICE section of my car ever! I have upgraded in bits and pieces, and hence was used to getting that odd upgrade, but this time, its the whole hog! I am keen to see the result, and all will be welcome to audition as soon as its done.
cheers!
Old 14th February 2009, 16:48   #235
Senior - BHPian

Progress Report for the day:

I got back from Hermit Audio after discussing all the details with B&T.

the fibre glassing is in progress as we speak, and the enclosure for the sub is going to be made soon. its going to be a unique (for me) enclosure, and will be a large but shallow enclosure made of MDF.

It's turning out to be very interesting, and I hope to get the car by Tuesday now.

................... AND also got to see my NEW sub!

yep the suspense is out and we shall let the pictures do the talking :-)
Here, drool away!
Attached Thumbnails
Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1000993-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1000994-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1000995-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1000996-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1000997-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1000998-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1000999-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010001-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010002-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010003-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Old 14th February 2009, 17:17   #236
Senior - BHPian

What is the model number of this sub.
Looks too good.

Congrats.
When are the rest of the pics coming?
Old 14th February 2009, 19:16   #237
Senior - BHPian

thank you abhinav!

thats the illusion audio Luccent sub, the IM-12. isn't it an absolute beauty? the driver is SOO light, that its hard to believe its a subwoofer. i guess its a technological wonder that is still not matched by most manufacturers. the shallowness of the sub has to be seen to be believed!
here's an insight on the subwoofer:

::* i l l u s i o n** a u d i o* ::

i shall post pics as the action unfurls. I don't know if i will be able to post more in-progress pics, but many more photos are coming up, i promise!
Old 14th February 2009, 19:32   #238
Senior - BHPian

So now you are running it at 4 ohms
Was the MK2 also at 4 ohms.

What does the Rockford produce at 4 ohms.

P.S. How will fibreglassing the door help?
Old 14th February 2009, 19:35   #239
Senior - BHPian

should strengthen it , prevent the rattles caused by the brawny amp and components!
Old 14th February 2009, 19:49   #240
Senior - BHPian

Which means its an alternate to damping.
How much does the fibre glassing cost Frank.
Closed Thread