Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 16th February 2009, 20:07   #256
Senior - BHPian

thank you KK. I'm waiting for the install to be complete..

Progress for the day.
1. Fibre glassing- DONE
2. Damping of Doors- DONE
3. Enclosure for sub- ALMOST DONE
4. Damping of boot remains
5. The Amps and Sub are being installed in a unique way. Will show you'll tomorrow. Till that time please feast on the damping and FG pics.

PS: the midbasses are just fine, and I saw them go on to the door, and MAN do they look hot. Didnt take photos of them as the doors were slightly dirty, and tomorrow I am getting delivery. Be prepared for a plethora of photos tomorrow~!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010016-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010018-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010020-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010023-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010022-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Old 16th February 2009, 20:13   #257
BHPian

These compos are for sure stunner. Waiting eagerly to see the pics of the complete install !
Old 16th February 2009, 20:35   #258
Senior - BHPian

Doc spends more time on his ICE than his Patients.
ICE Bug hits badly.

P.S The Fibre Glass on doors looks Uber - cool.
Old 16th February 2009, 21:39   #259
BHPian

Frank, looking very good, how about a night drive this week ?
Oh BTW, what rear speakers you putting now?
Old 16th February 2009, 21:42   #260
Senior - BHPian

night drive is ON! rear speakers are the GZ's. they play well.. Can't hear them anyways.
Old 17th February 2009, 01:47   #261
Senior - BHPian

Doc what does cant hear mean.
Is it that the front stage is too loud.
Or you aren't able to make the difference. or does the sub over power it.
Old 17th February 2009, 02:55   #262
Senior - BHPian

cant hear means its tuned that way. so i dont hear the rears. i used to like it coming from the back too, before, but somehow i feel the soundstage does get messed up. time alignment is another factor that makes me feel the sound is coming from somewhere in the center console. i can feel the rears if i concentrate, though, but they have been kept to the bare minimum. GZ coax'es are pretty sensitive you know. give 'em decent amount of power and they will sing in tandem. any more power than that, and they'll overpower the fronts..
Old 17th February 2009, 09:10   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
i used to like it coming from the back too, before, but somehow i feel _____ messed up.
Lol. What has happened to guys. Screwing amps. Like them from back and messing up?
Old 17th February 2009, 10:20   #264
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Rear Fill !

Quote:
i used to like it coming from the back too
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Like them from back and messing up?
Et tu, Frankie?

Name:  SyS_2008_2_26_16_15_40.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  103.0 KB

Old 17th February 2009, 10:42   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Et tu, Frankie?

Attachment 101769

hehe

B&T you seem to be getting naughtier by the day.

Not that your weren't before.

Nice rear Fills those.
Old 17th February 2009, 10:52   #266
Senior - BHPian

abhinav was asking if i spend more time on my car than on my patients.
imagine if the patients were like this!? i'd be doing lot more 'fillings.'
and yea, sure would spend a lot of time IN my car, rather than on it. (with her that is!)
Old 17th February 2009, 16:20   #267
Senior - BHPian

Default U P D A T E ! ! !

FINAL UPGRADES COMPLETE!!!!!!!!

I made the 7 km journey to Hermit Audio today (which felt like 21 Km in the anticipation to go and listen to my system) and when I reached, my car was lying parked in the corner. I went inside, started her up, connected my new iPod through the KCE-422i (more on the iPod bit later) and just turned on the Alpine and set the source to CD.
My favourite CD, Fleetwood Mac was still inside and I remember having heard the whole CD on the Electra and GZ sub combination about 30 times and exclaiming '...nothing can sound better than this!'
Played the first track. Instantly felt the instruments coming in more accurately, and the vocals and notes remaining crisper than they were, ever before.
Next track: Now this is when the goosebumps started coming. The midbasses are brilliant performers and accuracy is their forte. The Vocals were belted out just perfectly by the Tweets, and the sub was playing so sweetly in tandem, and amalgamated soo well with the entire system, that words are quite difficult to describe how it sounded today. If people around the forum praise the way the GZ sub keeps up with the Illusion speakers, then the way the Illusion Sub keeps up with the Illusion Components is mind blowing. The words 'maska' and 'smooth' come to mind. I just got blown away by the whole combination. Someone rightly said, its not a single component that makes up a good system, but its the way all the components perform in unison that makes a big difference.
I'd say the stars of the show are the Luccent Speakers (Both, the components and Sub) and they are by far the best investment I have made in my car.
The 2nd best investment is that of the damping. More than 30 sq feet has been used in the doors alone (2 installments: this time it was about 21 sq ft and the last time was about 10 sq ft)
My advice has always been to ditch the rear fills when on a tight budget (if ever you plan to choose them over damping) and spend that good amount of money on damping. The fibre glassing and damping have made the doors super heavy and somehow they shut with the meaty THUNK of the higher segment cars. But the HUGE difference can be noticed in the way the midbasses are now performing. Fed a good amount of power, and performing in a well damped environment, the luccents have started behaving quite 'godly' i must say! They feel relaxed and never does the music emanating from the Components sound strained or harsh. Its honey-sweet and that is the reason why the Luccents were chosen initially.
Have heard Luccents in Amey's car before, but that was a 3-Way setup. And there were Stegs. So no comparisons there. But just highlighting the sweet, but crisp nature of the components.
Sigh, they dont make more of these anymore!

The subwoofer and the amplifiers have been mounted neatly in the boot and the pictures show a long but shallow enclosure for the sub, that has been very well crafted and looks well integrated in the boot now. All the mess that used to exist around the amps has been removed and the boot suddenly looks usable again. The crossovers have been stowed away somewhere, and I cant see them at all! But from the wire running, it feels like they are somewhere in the dashboard. Quite a nifty touch

If i had to rate the Luccents fairly, without bias, then I'd say they are much better than the electras in the resolution of detail (even though the Electras are highly respectable speakers and the BEST in their segment by miles!) I have never been a happier man.

Coming to the ipod. Its a source that I have bought EXPRESSLY to play my Flacs and I went today, with the measly 4 Gb loaded to the gills with Flacs, muxed to ALAC (apple lossless) and trust me, I could make out the difference, playing the same song on the cd as an mp3 and then playing the lossless version of the same track. More on that will be spoken about later, as I didnt get a chance to use my ipod much right now. The controls are pretty simple and I wouldn't mind using the Ipod from the 9887. It charges as it plays, and when the car goes off, it switches the iPod in about a minute, so no battery loss here.

Cheers to all who have helped me, and contributed on this thread. A lot of suggestions were taken and incorporated into this install.
My hearty thanks to Ajay Kamath who stood by me through the 100 million upgrades I made to the car, and helping out in the smalles possible way.

My car is available for audition, and I hope quite a few of you'll want to come and listen to it! All are welcome. I dont wanna end up praising it so much, to raise your expectations, (even though it's surpassed mine) but you'll are welcome to come and critique my system whenever you'll want.

PS: Arpan, I have changed the place where I park my car now. So no need even trying to steal it :-P

I SHALL also make a mini review of each component as time goes by and the midbasses are broken in. Maybe in the course of this week.

Reviews of the
1. Sub
2. Components
3. Ground Zero Amp
4. Rockford Fosgate amp
5. The Ipod and FLACS on the 9887
.......................................coming soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010024-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010025-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010026-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010027-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010028-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010029-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010030-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010031-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010032-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010033-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010034-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010037-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010038-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010039-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010040-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010041-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010042-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010043-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010044-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010045-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010046-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Last edited by frankmehta : 17th February 2009 at 16:25.
Old 17th February 2009, 16:23   #268
Senior - BHPian

whoooooooa!!

superb !!
Old 17th February 2009, 16:50   #269
BHPian

Ho Ho Ho...... Nice setup Franky!!! and really

Congrats on the final setup.. would defiantly come to mumbai some time to audition it...
Old 17th February 2009, 16:57   #270
BHPian

Quote:
went inside, started her up, connected my new iPod through the KCE-422i (more on the iPod bit later) and just turned on the Alpine and set the source to CD.
Coming to the ipod. Its a source that I have bought EXPRESSLY to play my Flacs and I went today, with the measly 4 Gb loaded to the gills with Flacs, muxed to ALAC (apple lossless)
Congrats Frank!
Would be helpful, if you can tell the price of the cable-KCE-422i.Does one need to covert flacs, to ALAC to play it on Ipod?If yes how can one do that?

Enjoy the music and looking fwd to read the reviews.
Closed Thread