Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 22nd September 2009, 00:12   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Congratulations, Arpan! The color does not go well with the beige upholstery though!

PS: What happened to Frank's Bhojpuri classes?
Point noted ! We have done away with the beige upholstery, back to stock fabric seats and now to save up for matching upholstery.
Frank, did you finally have your personal tution with ravi kissen ji
arpandiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 00:35   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The mats that we get today are much better than the loose glass fibers that we used for stuffing speaker boxes years back. It does not shatter so much, and produces much less muck.

More than hand protection (it is usually very messy getting the residue out), a mask over mouth and nose is more important. Inhaled fine glass fiber bits and pieces will cause havoc in the lungs.

Fantastic work by Ramie-paaji. Congratulations, Arpan! The color does not go well with the beige upholstery though!

PS: What happened to Frank's Bhojpuri classes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
DA, I use the mat as well as the woven mat. The mat with random fibers (whihc is what Ramie has used) makes for a stronger box but is a bit messier to handle. the Woven mat is easier to handle.

although this fiberglass is itchy it is not as itchy as the loose yellow coloured fiberglass used for sound absorbtion in speaker boxes.

my advise to anyone handling any form of fiberglass is to get gloves. you never know if you are sensitive to the stuff.
The mats we have used are loose and a little bit thicker than the finer mats which is insane doing this stuff,trust me it gets very very scratchy and specially the smell of the chemicals will almost faint you,i wasn't keeping well for 3days after completing this stuff.

I would always recommend usage of gloves+mask while doing this no matter at a small scale or large scale,this was the first attempt of doing up FG work without any idea,still had the confidence of getting the proportions right.When ever the resin drops fall over you it will start getting hot,sticky and scratchy giving you a rash on that area.

Hell starts when you have to grind it to make it smoothen no painter was willing to grind as the dust from FG will make you go all red red whereever it stick on your body After when the grinding was done body-filler was aplied with another chemical(cant remember) to seal the entire enclosure,lots of putty,lots of scrapping involved(about 3days) to give this shape,then comes the base-paint/final paint and lacker.

After a certain time of doing up FG work you actually start feeling "was this decision correct"its a painstaking job,but guaranteed outcome in the end.Please be very careful while doing this sort of work..All i can sing was "those were the hell days of my life"

@DA ji:- the beige part have been stripped off as myself was against it,now we will be going for full black art leather seat-covers with white stiching,thats the next upgrade.

The woven mats are the best option to do the FG work,but i wasn't able to get it so used the loose mats,but the outcome is good and strong with approximately 8-9layers of FG

Ramie

Last edited by ramie2400 : 22nd September 2009 at 00:40.
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:38   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
Hell starts when you have to grind it to make it smoothen no painter was willing to grind as the dust from FG will make you go all red red whereever it stick on your body

The woven mats are the best option to do the FG work,but i wasn't able to get it so used the loose mats,but the outcome is good and strong with approximately 8-9layers of FG
1. when you start griniding you should wear a bunny suit. This is the plastic suit used in clean rooms of chip, food, and pharma companies. cover yourself from head to toe.

2. 8-9 payers of FG! this means the walls are 25-30mm thick! THey must be stiff as hell.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:41   #109
BHPian

And here are the final pics of the install, hope you enjoy them
Name:  50.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  433.1 KB

Name:  52.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  526.8 KB

Name:  66.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  535.5 KB

Name:  61.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  450.8 KB

Name:  53.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  349.3 KB

Name:  68.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  400.9 KB
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:43   #110
Senior - BHPian

AWESOME naginmobile! Now comes with smoked lights too! WOOOW man. Ramie ustaad has done it again! Great choice of colour, awesome design and more importantly, awesome Mono (kisne diya???)
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:47   #111
Senior - BHPian

hahahaha.. LOVELY. Perfectly matches Arpan's reputation. Good going Ramie bhai! That is splendid for a first-timer. Don't be deterred by the khujli. You have a long way to go.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:51   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks Good Arpan though I would have liked to see some more bling on the Sub, have you put any lights there?

Also could you please answer this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

How & why do you need to Bridge an amp to power 1 pair of comps?
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:52   #113
BHPian

Good work. Congrats to the installer.Any issues in regarding to Amp overheating heating in installs like these?Post some pics of the completed front doors.

Enjoy the music.
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:57   #114
Senior - BHPian

@techno: I had bridged my GZ amp remember???? To power my Electras? They were receiving >200W @ any given time. LOL.
The only reason why Arpan has bridged his amp is to exploit the Focals for the most output. Nothing else.
55 odd W to the fronts (from the GTO504) would be criminal. Now the fronts must be getting 150-200W each!
Old 22nd September 2009, 18:11   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Of course I remember, my bad I know why would one bridge it, my main question was how do you bridge an amp for 1 pair of comps(This I dont remember) unless ofcourse the amp can be bridged on both 1st & 2nd and 3rd & 4th channel(mine can be bridged only on 3rd & 4th channel )
Old 22nd September 2009, 18:13   #116
Senior - BHPian

Sony 504 right? Yea, it can be bridged only on 3 and 4. This amp can be bridged on both. So 1 and 2 bridged for one side, and 3 and 4 bridged for the other side!
Old 22nd September 2009, 18:19   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Yeah I have the 554. Thanks Frank, this is clear now
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:05   #118
Senior - BHPian

Rear setup is done beautifully.
The subwoofer deserves to be highlighted more. How about giving it some ultraviolet painting and Glowing it from the roof.
How do you handle the subwoofer when the rear wheel has to be removed, any handles or holding the subwoofer basket itself?
Do post the completed front setup. how much volume did the focals get since you are not using the door volume?
gigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:42   #119
BHPian

Added a row of lighting on top for the sub, will post a pic soon and of the completed door too.
About the volume in front i dont know, will ask ramie and let you know, but yeah the front enclosure is sealed.
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:48   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Don't be deterred by the khujli. You have a long way to go.
ICE (and audio) is an itch I have been scratching for 30+ years now. it dont go away.

It's like a fever that won't cool down
I've been addicted since I heard that sound

I was vaccinated with a little needle
And I'm hooked on rock and roll

- Peter Criss (ex KISS).
navin is offline   Reply With Quote