Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 15th January 2009, 16:09   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdh View Post
I hope this illustration helps. The material I used is nylon blocks and got them cut at a local hardware shop. That is why the finish is not that good. Since it is not directly visibl, I did not mind that much.
Thanks...thats was quite understandable....
shreyasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 16:09   #32
sdh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithinnarayanan View Post
Hi @sdh
Nice setup. Will come and meet you along with PD. oops pdh
Wanted to see the setup in flesh.

Nithin
Sure. Any place in Indiranagar would be fine for me. 100 Ft road can be a perfect meeting point.
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 13:14   #33
sdh
BHPian

Guys, desparately need some help from experts.

I bought my second monitor with the intention to connect it to the S-Video port using S-Video to CVBS adapter (from my dell laptop). The mother board does not recognise that the second monitor is connected. The same connector worked on my dell laptop.

Any one has some idea which pin has the CVBS out singal on the intel D945GCLF2 motherboard.
or
What video card with just VGA output can fit the board. My box has a opening for VGA connector, max clearence would be about 60mm. Any sggestions.
Old 18th January 2009, 16:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

As far as video output goes, you can output via VGA or S-Video. I don't think both will work together. what does manual say? otherwise you will require additional vga card. whats the second monitor ?
Have a look here if it is of any help
S-Video to Composite Video RCA Cable Pinout - AllPinouts
S-Video 7 PIN Connector Pinout - AllPinouts

Last edited by gigy : 18th January 2009 at 17:02.
gigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 18:06   #35
Senior - BHPian

if you want port splitters.
Video Splitters, Easy Video Splitter, Composite Video Splitters at TigerDirect.ca
Old 18th January 2009, 19:10   #36
BHPian

Both the outputs should work at the same time. mp3car.com thread on this board has few posts on s-video.

You would need a 7 pin connector. pin layout is the second link (7 pin) as mentioned by gigy.

Although a 4 pin connector will plug into the board's socket, it will only work for s-video and cannot output composite with this board.

check if your present cable is a 4 pin??

Last edited by Comrade : 18th January 2009 at 19:21.
Comrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 20:47   #37
sdh
BHPian

Thanks guys for the hints. I looked at this site S-Video 7 PIN Connector Pinout - AllPinouts and see that the male connector I have, has the CVBS line coming from Pin 7. This is different from the Pin 6 described on the site. I will try and make a cable and see if it works.

Last edited by sdh : 18th January 2009 at 20:55.
Old 20th January 2009, 20:06   #38
sdh
BHPian

Guys, some bad news. I managed to get B/W video by using the Y line from the S-Video connector and gave it to the CVBS input of the display. The OS recognised taht TV (second display) is connected by doing so, but it only supports the same output as what is coming from VGA connector (like cloned displays). There is no option to change it to true dual monitor/screen configuration.

Unless some one can give some hints that it is possible, the only option I see now is to have a second graphics card. That brings the question, which card (with VGA only output) can fit in such constrained space. Any suggestions.
Old 21st January 2009, 14:50   #39
Senior - BHPian

Have a look at the specifications. as far as i knew it was either vga /or s video.
You can go for fanless low profile graphics cards for dual display support. whats the second display? vga lcd or headrest monitors?
Do you intend dual audio also?
Old 21st January 2009, 15:00   #40
sdh
BHPian

Second display is touch screen monitor as well (in anticipation of better dual screen support by Centrafuse in versions 2.2).

Secondary audio is supported by the Mother Board (still have to test). Also it supports dual monitors as I described above, but does not support extended desktop.

Can you suggest some VGA cards by make and model. Another limitation I see is that the board has PCI slot and most cards are PCI Express.
Old 21st January 2009, 15:18   #41
BHPian

If you guys really want a compact car PC. Then you need to shell out atleast 8k for touchscreen monitor and other components and fitting it in awkward way. If you want to make car pc by your own just to enjoy then it's fine. But if you have better cleaner option for the less money then...

Here is the my suggestion. Get Acer Aspire One laptop for Rs. 14k and use it. For touchscreen we can get addition 4 wire touchscreen attachment in Rs.2k which will fit in laptop body. Use that and you are ready with your Car PC.
sushantr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 15:28   #42
sdh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
If you guys really want a compact car PC. Then you need to shell out atleast 8k for touchscreen monitor and other components and fitting it in awkward way. If you want to make car pc by your own just to enjoy then it's fine. But if you have better cleaner option for the less money then...

Here is the my suggestion. Get Acer Aspire One laptop for Rs. 14k and use it. For touchscreen we can get addition 4 wire touchscreen attachment in Rs.2k which will fit in laptop body. Use that and you are ready with your Car PC.
Where do u get touch screens monitors for 8K. I paid 16K for mine. Please share the supplier details.
Old 21st January 2009, 15:34   #43
Senior - BHPian

acer aspire one can be used as carputer but it is definitely not the cleaner option.
think about where are you going to keep it.
how are you going to wire the auto startup and shut down control?
Where wil the audio cables be routed?
How are you going to connect the gps?
whats the storage capacity? you will soon find 160gb less.
Where will you route the power cable?
Where and how the dual display will be wired?
You are already seeing so many cables around it, so its not clean.
Children in rear seat need games??
Want to add blue ray after a year???
A carputer gives the option of upgrading and changing components at much cheaper cost once it is setup.
Old 21st January 2009, 15:35   #44
Senior - BHPian

sdh,look at option of upgrading the motherboard for dual display support than finding pci graphics support.
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:33   #45
Senior - BHPian

Have a look here for PCI video cards
PCI Video Cards | Interface | FXVideoCards.com