Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 18th January 2009, 11:35   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
One thing that i might add, theey did not use the wiring that came with the speakers. When i asked him why, he replied that the original car wiring is of much better quality.
AFAICT, WagonR does not come wired for speakers. So, guess he used the existing wiring already in place for the old speakers.

DId you get back the wiring?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 13:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
AFAICT, WagonR does not come wired for speakers. So, guess he used the existing wiring already in place for the old speakers.

DId you get back the wiring?
Yes , i have the JBL speaker wires with me. I am talking about this:
Attached Thumbnails
JBL in my WagonR-img_1556.jpg  

DCEite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 14:23   #33
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure about the settings causing cracking in the bigger rear speakers. Are you sure that it has gone away in the rear speakers? I can understand smaller and (sony to boot) speakers' inability to handle low frequencies.

If possible, try "listening" to silences between songs; and if possible, try to create some sample mp3 file with "silence" in between.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 18th January 2009 at 14:25.
Old 18th January 2009, 14:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

but by LPFing the speakers at 63, you'll be losing out on a lot of deep bass, especially at the rear. I dont think that your HU supports induvidual LPF's for the front and rear. I think an effective DIY solution would be to use two 1500uF capacitors in series ( and connected back to back) with each of the fronts, if you are absolutely sure that the fronts cant handle the bass.

However, I still think something is wrong with the install/wiring/tuning
Will some Bhpian who knows his ICE please pay him a visit and put him out of his misery
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 15:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure about the settings causing cracking in the bigger rear speakers. Are you sure that it has gone away in the rear speakers? I can understand smaller and (sony to boot) speakers' inability to handle low frequencies.

If possible, try "listening" to silences between songs; and if possible, try to create some sample mp3 file with "silence" in between.
I am sorry i did not make it clear, there is cracking mainly in the front right speaker. The rear speaker cackling which was observed after car servicing is no longer there. My only concern is the front right speaker now which has much much more pronounced cracking than the front left speaker. The rears are working absolutely fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
but by LPFing the speakers at 63, you'll be losing out on a lot of deep bass, especially at the rear. I dont think that your HU supports induvidual LPF's for the front and rear. I think an effective DIY solution would be to use two 1500uF capacitors in series ( and connected back to back) with each of the fronts, if you are absolutely sure that the fronts cant handle the bass.

Will some Bhpian who knows his ICE please pay him a visit and put him out of his misery
Is it HPF or LPF. Switching off HPF results much more bass, i have observed this myself. But the "thrallllll thrallllll" (is that whats called crackling??) sound from front right speaker is the only problem.

BTW a question to you guys, should i try get the wiring changed to the one that came with speakers?

Last edited by DCEite : 18th January 2009 at 15:08.
Old 18th January 2009, 15:18   #36
Senior - BHPian

whoops , i meant HPF

is the sound more from one speaker than the other ? then there is some problem with the install, or probably the speaker itself. I dont think wiring can cause this sort of speaker behavior.

PS : again, try to get your dealer to swap the fronts with some GTO's(or at least another GT5, or try swapping your left and right speakers) and see if you still have that prob, and get the GTOs if possible

Last edited by greenhorn : 18th January 2009 at 15:24.
Old 18th January 2009, 15:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it HPF or LPF. Switching off HPF results much more bass, i have observed this myself. But the "thrallllll thrallllll" (is that whats called crackling??) sound from front right speaker is the only problem.
So, crackling comes with HPF on, or LPF on?

Quote:
BTW a question to you guys, should i try get the wiring changed to the one that came with speakers?
If it is only one speaker out of a pair, it simply cannot be settings. It sure is a wiring OR speaker issue.

But if it is a wiring issue, then the problem should exist whatever the settings are, right? Hence the suggestion to play / listen to "silence".

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 18th January 2009 at 15:26. Reason: Rephrased the last sentence
Old 18th January 2009, 15:23   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

i m confused i thought LPF was low-pass-filter ?

EDIT: Just was your new post greenhorn
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 15:28   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, crackling comes with HPF on, or LPF on?
It comes with HPF=0. AFAIK there is no LPF control in HU.
More the HPF, lesser the crackling, but lesser the Bass also. But all this in one speaker only (front right). Front left has a bit, but its extremely negligible and only comes when at very high volume and listening very careful. Right is much more pronounced.

On a scale of 10,

front right crackling=8/10
front left cracking=2/10
rear crackling=0/10

I hope that makes it clear.

I was also wondering if it was a bad wiring, then the problem should come irrespective of HPF=0 or 63Hz. Please correct me if am wrong.

Last edited by DCEite : 18th January 2009 at 15:31.
Old 18th January 2009, 15:37   #40
Senior - BHPian

So, why dont' you try greenhorn's capacitor solution before trying anything else?
Old 18th January 2009, 15:38   #41
Senior - BHPian

my money is on a defective/damaged speaker. open the front speaker grille on the dashboard and see if there is any dust/particles on the speaker cone. try vacuuming it if possible

the capacitor solution is if these speakers really cant take the bass ( which i dont think is the case ) . a better option would be to set the fader to R2 or 3 so that the fronts dont get as much power as the rears do

Last edited by greenhorn : 18th January 2009 at 15:39.
Old 19th January 2009, 10:49   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think an effective DIY solution would be to use two 1500uF capacitors in series
1500 uf in series will give 750uf which means 6db @ about 50Hz. It makes no sense. Try using 220uf caps. That will give you 6db at about 350Hz. Or you could try 470 uf caps if you want more bass.

Quote:
More the HPF, lesser the crackling.
1. try cleaning the woofers by blowing air from a powerful hair dryer or a vaccum cleaner with a reverse swtich
2. reverse the 2 speakers and see if the problems shifts to the other side. this way you arecertain it is the speaker and not something else.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 13:32   #43
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE

I tried everything from changing wires to swapping the left and right front speakers. The noise still persists from the front right speaker.

However, i think i am close to diagnosing the exact source of the noise. Its the speaker mesh(cover) of the front right speaker that makes the sound when bass is produced. And to change the cover i will have to visit MGP.

Last edited by DCEite : 27th January 2009 at 13:44.
Old 27th January 2009, 15:41   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The noise still persists from the front right speaker.

However, i think i am close to diagnosing the exact source of the noise. Its the speaker mesh(cover) of the front right speaker that makes the sound when bass is produced. And to change the cover i will have to visit MGP.

Hahahaha. Now that is weird.

But why such an audible sound? Why don't you first try putting something sticky (like plain transparent tape) to provide damping, and see if there is a difference?
Old 27th January 2009, 15:43   #45
Senior - BHPian

or try removing it and see if it goes away

I've used double sided foam tape all over my car as a very effective damping solution ! ( front speaker grilles, front IRVM, rear LED stop light )

Last edited by greenhorn : 27th January 2009 at 15:44.