Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 20th January 2009, 15:50   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@frankmehta, perhaps SQ definition is being victimized if you speak of Polk being bright and A604 worsening the situation? Brightness is the inherent nature of some components, so if you don't like brightness better listen to them without an external amp to know it's inherent nature. ANY amp will worsen the situation, not just the A604, which IMHO is a decent amp that does not cause 'brightness' by itself. And, to top it all, 'bright' is bright to some and not at all chhan-chhan to others, so individual auditioning is better than hear-say.

i feel the internals of an amp CAN play a part in making the music 'bright'.
I had a 75.4 that made my Illusions sound bright! The same Illusions sound more realistic on the Ground Zero amp.
I must say, that the amp cannot single handedly contribute to brightness, but may play a role in it alongwith the speakers.
I feel the Polks might play less bright on even the Blaupunkt MK2 that is in the same budget as the 604. this is solely based on listening preferences, and does not prove my point. But i have noticed it, hence mentioned it. As you said, bright is bright for some, and not for all. Well, im the some who feel the 604 contributes more to the brightness of speakers, than say an 8401 or a Blau GTA4 would
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 17:10   #32
Senior - BHPian

Polks, as the general inference goes across a wide section of people who have auditioned Polks, are really bright by themselves when driven from an HU directly. And your experience, which we will not discount, of A604 making Illusions sound brighter is only one instance of observation - no one else seems to have had that experience so far. WADR, that is not enough to infer that A604 makes music brighter, sir.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 17:36   #33
Senior - BHPian

Yes. My inference is not supported my proof. You're right. which amp do you think mr nitin should go for? I guess its becoming a long battle for all people searching for a good amp in this budget. Manufacturers must wake up and smell the coffee. A little more variety will be appreciated. Maybe a good 2 channel in the same range. Something like the 752 is revolutionary.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 18:18   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
... Manufacturers must wake up and smell the coffee. ...
Oh no, that comment should be for users, not manufacturers. (Arrey yaar, kya yaad dilaya - those Paris mornings, the smells of freshly-brewed coffee and baking of baguettes wafting in through the window when you wake up early in the morning ... Aaaah - mmmwwuaaah! Truly magical and unforgettable).

Most times it is better to take the one that is available, even a Sony if that is the only one available, than pining for the "besht" and running round and round comparing specs and taking opinions. At least one would be able to hear music better than nothing or stock. There is always an upgrade possible in the future, you know.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 18:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Most times it is better to take the one that is available, even a Sony if that is the only one available, than pining for the "besht" and running round and round comparing specs and taking opinions. At least one would be able to hear music better than nothing or stock. There is always an upgrade possible in the future, you know.
I agree wholeheartedly. If somebody is interested enough to ask about (or compare) the quality of the music that 2 or 3 amps can contribute to, that person is quite likely to be not satisfied with whatever amp he buys later.

He/She will start comparing the 'SQ' of their purchase over and over again after a few listening sessions. Pockets permitting, an upgrade is nearly a certainty within a few months o the initial purchase. A person comparing prices may not do this, but a person comparing the relative contribution to SQ almost certainly 'will'.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote