Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 18th January 2009, 15:40   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocritical View Post
Pls tell if a coax sounds better in a box or on a tray?

I probably feel that 608s should come for something around 6k and the RCAs and wiring kit for 2k. How much would a tray and a ported box cost? my budget is around 8-10k, so i guess all this would fit in my budget.
I have listened to 6X9's (polk) playing in a swift, fitted onto a custom made parcel tray, and it sounded pretty good. I don't think it is wise to go for boxes as it could be a waste of space and moreover the 6X9's are not going to get hooked to the amp, so better go for a good quality parcel tray.

The ported box + Parcel tray should cost you somewhere between 1 - 1.5K. Am not sure why you have decided to go for the ported box, maybe someone here (green??) can help you with this.
dRaGsTerrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 15:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

yup, a tray should do fine. a box is needed when you plan to get some serious bass out of them. with a sub, you'll be running them without any bass ( that's the sub's job)

ported works better here because its an entry level sub ( 160W RMS max) being driven by an weak amp ( 35W per channel, 70 bridged- still less than one channel of your 75.4 @ dragsterr ) , so we need a little help from the enclosure to boost the output
PS: i think a good tray should be <1k, and a ported box ~1.5 (make sure the box is made by someone who knows how to make a box, and i dont mean a good carpenter)

Last edited by greenhorn : 18th January 2009 at 15:52.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 00:26   #18
BHPian

green.. now you are tempting me to change the sub and amp too..

ok lets see it this way.. I power the components with the existing amp in bridged mode.. rear coax from head unit and get a new mono block amp for the sub.. later will upgrade the sub too.. now the question is how much will i have to increase the budget to get an additional mono block amp?

Also, will the existing amp in bridged mode be "ENOUGH" for the components? or should i go for a new new 4channel amp altogether?

Last edited by zerocritical : 19th January 2009 at 00:27.
zerocritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 01:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

dude , the amp isnt a BIG improvement over the stock HU output, it just gives a little more than double the HU's output. as of now , focus your budget on getting some good wiring and some good speakers.
Yes, the amp and sub are not very high powered, but thats the least of your problems.

how much are you planning to spend. only if you are planning to spend 25K+ would i recommend upgrading them. I hate blowing people budgets up, and want to fix your SQ woes for the least amount of cash. at the max, get a better sub too, if the sub is not in too good shape
Old 19th January 2009, 08:50   #20
BHPian

See.. my budget goes something like this.. first i am deciding on the best improvements i can get for minimal costs.. then I Plan to take them in stages.. may be 2-3 things a month.. for now will be going for components.. next month was planning for wiring and ported box and MDF tray.. and at that time can add one or two more things.. I spare around 4-5k a month for my car.. so probably a month after that for amp and then for sub...
My family will screw me if i spend 25k in a go like i did in nov for tires and FFE..
Old 19th January 2009, 08:53   #21
BHPian

I want to decide on the things first because I dont want to commit the mistakes made earlier again.
Like for eg: if i take a wiring kit now and then think of upgrading the sub and amp, the wiring again might have to be changed to take the load of amp.. so if I decide what amp, sub and other things am planning, will take the wiring, ported box and stuff accordingly...
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:38   #22
BHPian

Finally.. getting Blaupunkt GTA 480 Amp...
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:40   #23
BHPian

Now I have to decide on the Sub.. Guys.. pls help me to choose..
JBL? GZ MK2, POLK 1204 or hertz es3000

Also if anyone can tell the approx pricing for the same.
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:32   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocritical View Post
JBL? GZ MK2, POLK 1204 or hertz es3000
Given that you are getting the Blaupunkt GTA 480 Amp I'd get the sub that has the highest Bl/MMs ratio even if you have to sacrifice a few Hz.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:18   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Given that you are getting the Blaupunkt GTA 480 Amp I'd get the sub that has the highest Bl/MMs ratio even if you have to sacrifice a few Hz.
navin.. i'm a noob with the technical terms.. it would be great if u can explain me a little..
Old 25th January 2009, 18:54   #26
BHPian

Can someone pls explain me how to connect rear speakers directly from the head unit. My HU is pioneer 6950
Old 25th January 2009, 23:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

usually the car is pre wired, so all you have to do is connect the stock wiring to the HU and to the speakers. are you planning on doing this yourself ?
Old 25th January 2009, 23:51   #28
BHPian

yes... planning to..

Actually when i removed the head unit, there were just RCAs connected. and some other colored wires (I guessed they were for power)

Will check them again

Also.. i donno where my upgrade will land me into!!!

I just bought finolex 10sqmm for powering my amp. 5sqmm for my speakers.

And for icing on the cake... and a big hole in my pocket, ordered for Monster 400 series 4 channel RCA cable!!!
Old 25th January 2009, 23:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

you're focussing on the wrong things.
your cars problem is
1. mediocre speakers
2. bad install

getting new wiring will not help matters much you should have bought better speakers for the front first , and DIY, especially since its a system that may not be working right in the first place will make matters worse

google for the swift's wiring harness pinouts. that should guide you
Old 26th January 2009, 00:11   #30
BHPian

BTW.. Till now.. decided on these things:

Blau amp GTA 480
Blau Components velocity 172
New wiring and monster RCA

Planning for:
GZ MK2 sub
complete damping

have already bought the components.. will see if i like them.. else will get illusions for an exchange