Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 8th October 2009, 19:35   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H View Post
hey! great DIY.
i was inspired by this and performed the same DIY. now the problem i am facing is that the sound quality is not clear. there is a lot of disturbance in my car audio when i connect my bluetooth and shift my hu to AUX mode. please help

regards
SINGH
What kind of disturbance? Is it the signal interference or some distortion or is it the hiss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Good one Shreyasma, Would have tried it had my deck was bluetooth compatible
Thank you
shreyasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 21:37   #47
BHPian

Default disturbance

i can hear a hissing sound. please help me with it.
S.I.N.G.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 09:15   #48
BHPian

Quote:
I am not even close to good at electronics. Time to call the gurus.

Is the 3.5mm jack connected in correct polarity? I also have hissing noise on mine. But is not noticable when in call. Do you pump up the volume when you switch to AUX?

By the way, what make of handsfree is it.
Old 9th October 2009, 10:13   #49
BHPian

Having done the same DIY myself, I might be able to give you a few pointers. Hiss could creep in because of a lot of factors - gains being used, wires, jacks, quality of handsfree, quality of soldering etc. Rest assured however, it will NOT be possible to have no hiss at all in this kind of a DIY setup!

Try this to have a quick solution (until you can find the source of the hissing):

Reduce the Aux volume on HU. Then increase the volume on the handsfree to max. Now start increasing the volume on HU. If the hiss increases exponentially - the source of the noise is the handsfree. In this case, reduce the handsfree volume as low as you can and increase the HU volume until the sound level is acceptable for a call and at the same time, the hissing is minimum.

If this does now work too well, you'll need to recheck the connections, change the cables used to better ones, recheck the soldering points and maybe even relocate the handsfree mounting location.

Last edited by the_maassk : 9th October 2009 at 10:15.
the_maassk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 10:31   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If this from teh bluetooth headset I am sorry I am not familair with this technology.

If this is from the stereo itself, it is often related to poor/damaged RCA wires used between the HU and amp.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 12:07   #51
BHPian

i have the same setup. but iam using a Motorola h500 connected to aux.
you can check it out in my T-bhp garage.

i was too initally getting lots of disturbance - hiss when playing mp3 from my cell.
the reason was the bad quality of 3.5mm audio cable connected to the aux. changed it and the hiss vanished. works perfectly now.

was first using a jack with 2 connections on the jack head, this caused disturbance, the shifted to a 3 connection jack like the pic attached.

moral - try a different jack

hope this helps.

UM
Attached Images

UniqueMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 14:45   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueMods View Post
i have the same setup. but iam using a Motorola h500 connected to aux.
you can check it out in my T-bhp garage.

i was too initally getting lots of disturbance - hiss when playing mp3 from my cell.
the reason was the bad quality of 3.5mm audio cable connected to the aux. changed it and the hiss vanished. works perfectly now.

was first using a jack with 2 connections on the jack head, this caused disturbance, the shifted to a 3 connection jack like the pic attached.

moral - try a different jack

hope this helps.

UM
This jack might not be relevant. The so called 'three head' just denotes a stereo jack. For playing from a stereo source (maybe your cellphone), such a jack would be better. For the bluetooth handsfree, you do not need a stereo jack because the source would be mono. A mono male 3.5 mm effectively shorts the two channels and combines them to one.

However, I can't stress enough, the need for good quality cables
the_maassk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 15:06   #53
BHPian

I believe mono male would short right channel of the source and pass on only the left channel. Because I think in the previous picture, 1 is ground (common to both channels), 2 is right and 3 is left channel, whereas in male plug, 1 & 2 are joined together and 3 is unchanged (correct me if I am wrong). Shorting source output is not a good idea and it may be the reason of problems, hence using stereo cable MAY solve it.
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 16:33   #54
BHPian

Default A simpler DIY approach to have Bluetooth in your car

A simpler (but comparatively expensive) DIY approach to have Bluetooth in your car would be to use a Bluetooth Stereo Headset which comes with a 3.5mm audio jack.

I use a Sony Ericsson DS200 Bluetooth Stereo Headset with my Sony Ericsson Walkman phone. This headset has a 3.5mm audio jack, which can be directly connected to the AUX input of the car's head unit using a 3.5mm stereo audio cable. Hence, no wire cutting/taping would be required.

Another advantage of using a Bluetooth Stereo Headset is that you can play music in the car's music system through your mobile handset and when an incoming call comes, the music will automatically stop and you just need to press one button (on the phone or on the Bluetooth Stereo Headset) to answer the call. You don't have to worry about changing the car's head unit audio source since it was already in AUX mode when the call came.

The DS200 also has automatic volume adjustment, so you don't have to keep changing the volume on the car's head unit. The sound quality is very good, as good as a wired headset - both for voice as well as music.

It can be conveniently charged using a Sony Ericsson car charger (or a multi brand car charger) or even thorough a Sony Ericsson USB cable if the car's head unit has a USB slot.

It also has a clip, using which it can be clipped to a convenient location in the car - dashboard / IRVM / A-pillar.

Rohan,
Bangalore

Disclaimer #1: I am not related to the Sony Ericsson company in any way, apart from the fact that I am a loyal customer of Sony Ericsson.

Disclaimer #2: I have a Bluetooth enabled Blaupunkt head unit in my car which can directly be paired with my Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. I have used this feature once or twice with the car in a stationary position. I never use it while driving because talking on the mobile phone (with hands/hands free/wired/wireless) while driving results in a loss of concentration and can lead to an accident. Also, use of mobile phone while driving is illegal in India.
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 18:33   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
I believe mono male would short right channel of the source and pass on only the left channel. Because I think in the previous picture, 1 is ground (common to both channels), 2 is right and 3 is left channel, whereas in male plug, 1 & 2 are joined together and 3 is unchanged (correct me if I am wrong). Shorting source output is not a good idea and it may be the reason of problems, hence using stereo cable MAY solve it.
Correct. exactly my point wth a better explanation.

Also the mono 2 connector 3.5mm jack would not fit tightly into the aux of the deck as that i believe is meant for a stereo 3 connector jack. it was fitting, but with some play if shaken.

Good quality cable and proper soldering are the things to check.
which blue-tooth hand-free was used ? quality ?

Also dont turn the handsfree volume to max. mine is set at 75% and my HU and amp handles the rest. at 100% volume on the hands-free, there will be some distortion, but no hiss.

UM
UniqueMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 20:44   #56

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
I always wanted to have bluetooth enabled in my car for easy use of mobile phone.

However, the readily available devices were way out of my budget. Then came this DIY.

The idea is very simple. I have used a buletooth handsfree like this

Attachment 92766

When the device is dimantled, this is what is inside. My idea is to connect the cut speaker wires to a 3.5mm jack and then into the AUX-IN of the music system.

Attachment 92767

After attaching the cable for a 3.5 mm jack. Sorry, actually forgot to take the pic after attaching the jack

Attachment 92768

The place where the device is stuck using double sided glue tape.

Attachment 92770

After finished......

Attachment 92771

Attachment 92772

My problem now is charging the device. I have to use the existing USB port that always has my USB stick when driving. A USB hub doesnt work as per the pioneer manual. I did a lot of thinking and found out what are the 4 terminals in a USB and which one is for the power. For now i am charging with the USB port normally. In the next couple of days i will connect the power terminals of the existing USB port to a new USB port. And, can use the new port for charging.

Attachment 92773

Cost of the bluetooth handsfree was Rs 500/- as per the box in which it was packed. But i was lucky to get it free when i bought my phone.

Now when I get a call, I change the source on the headunit to AUX-IN and Answer the call

Any ideas and inputs from your end???

Good Idea buddy I like the way you did it.

To add further to this DIY you can integrate an Digital FM transmitter attached to the Blue tooth and Same FM signals can be recevied in the FM Radio in the HU. With this you can totally eliminate the physical wiring be HU and BT device.
But anybody in the range of FM trasmitter can tune in to your FM frequency! This is a rare possibilty though as your car is on the move and your can set the FM trasmitter frequency to some un-popular one.

Sample low cost transmitter:
Amazon.com: Griffin iTrip Universal FM Transmitter and Charger for MP3 Players: Electronics

you can even buy a simple FM transmitter from SP road in bangalore.
Which should cost you even less.
cnureddy.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 08:25   #57
BHPian

Default 3 terminal wires

hi. great. but how would we connect the 3 terminal wire to the bluetooth. as the bluetooth has only 2 terminals for connection. i am attaching the picture of the ciruit of the bluetooth headset with speaker terminals marked.

regards
singh
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Bluetooth Handsfree in car for Rs 500-bt.jpg  

Old 10th October 2009, 10:59   #58
BHPian

Quote:
hi. great. but how would we connect the 3 terminal wire to the bluetooth. as the bluetooth has only 2 terminals for connection. i am attaching the picture of the ciruit of the bluetooth headset with speaker terminals marked.

regards
singh
I have wired as indicated in the diagram. The terminals on the headset being mono, you will end up powering only left or right speakers. So doing this will split the output to bothe left and right speakers (Stereo).

But as others have indicated, the quality of wire, Jack, solder matters.

DIY: Bluetooth Handsfree in car for Rs 500-untitled.jpg
Old 10th October 2009, 11:18   #59
BHPian

Default aux wire

the wire i bought cost me 30 bucks. this is the best available here in vasant kunj. is it possible that i solder a 3.5 mm jack to the speaker output and then plug in the AUX wire into it. would this affect the sound quality. and please let me know where can i find a good quality wire near vasant kunj.

regards
singh
Old 23rd October 2009, 00:08   #60
BHPian

Lightbulb

After going through this thread, I was dazzled by this mind blowing idea and I was wondering if there were any readily available bluetooth devices for my car with the following features:

- It should attach directly to the AUX port or should have a 3.5 mm jack for connecting a aux cable.
-Should have stereo capability for streaming music from my phone and my iPod (Obviously with a bluetooth adapter)
-I should also connect to the cars power supply without having to replace / recharge batteries.

With keeping the above things in mind, I started searching on ebay.in. I found a couple of bluetooth devices, but they were expensive (Around Rs 4,000) but without all the above features. They were typically cellphone earphones with stereo.

Without much luck, I thought of searching on the Ebay US site and this is what I found. The KENSINGTON LIQUIDAUX BLUETOOTH CAR KIT. This device also came with a wireless remote controller for your steering and a USB charging port for an iPod. SWEET!
Attached Images

Pri2 is offline   Reply With Quote