Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 27th January 2009, 16:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Custom Sub Box - Your Views Please

The 10" sub I currently have(Philips 200WRMS) is in a sealed MDF wedge shaped box (don't have the recommended box enclosue for this sub)

Length 11"
Width 11"
Height1 6.5"
Height2 7.5"

Discounting the thickness of the MDF,that amounts to approx 0.35cu.ft

This box was custom made to be accommodated under the center seat of my Versa,but got made in a hurry esp when I was a novice in ICE.

It sounds decent with the engine in idle,but with the car in motion,some of the bass gets cut out.

Having tried all kinds of combinations and even moving the box upfront(I posted on this in the DIY forum),I am contemplating a revision as under:

Length 17"
Width 14"
Height1 6.5"
Height2 7.5"

That translates to 0.6cu.ft(after discounting the MDF thickness).

Please advise on the following so that I can take a call.

1.Will the sub sound better in this enclosure(I read that typically,sealed enclosure subs require 0.6-1.2cu.ft to perform best)?
2.In case it has to be ported, any special points to be noted?
3.This box will have the sub off center viz. the 10" opening will be created towards one end of the box and not in the center - that should not matter will it?

Request Help Sirs
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 17:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Make the bigger box. The efficiency should improve. Off-center sub is not a problem, in fact it's better that way.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 18:13   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

@Ajay, do you think specifying a volume will help vigsom better ?
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 18:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Most 10s like 0.6 - 1 cu. ft. It should atleast be better than what it sounds like with the 0.35 cu. ft., which is actually even lesser because he is not accounting for driver displacment (i.e. useful air space consumed by the subwoofer's magnet, basket etc.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 18:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

0.6 cu.ft is a good start...like Ajay Bhai (b&t) suggested a little bigger will be better. Like in tune of .8 cuft.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 23:15   #6
BHPian

if its a 10 incher i would try to see if i can accomodate 1cu ft and then get a ported box
Magma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 23:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
The 10" sub I currently have(Philips 200WRMS)
Do you know the Thiele/Small parameters for the sub ? maybe you can find them from the net using the model number ?

Using the T/S parameters you can easily find out what box would be best for the speaker .
techn0l0gist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 00:01   #8
BHPian

I second technologist, I spent a sunday making one as per LBM,Navin and Sam's guidance and I've never been a happier soul. Check this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...enclosure.html
WasavaTyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 13:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Most 10s like 0.6 - 1 cu. ft. It should atleast be better than what it sounds like with the 0.35 cu. ft., which is actually even lesser because he is not accounting for driver displacment (i.e. useful air space consumed by the subwoofer's magnet, basket etc.
Thanks Ajay and Paaji ; I used the data sheets of an Alpine and a JBL sub - both 10" to estimate that 0.6-0.7cu.ft would be reasonable for the Philips 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
if its a 10 incher i would try to see if i can accomodate 1cu ft and then get a ported box
Thanks Magma.I have never auditioned a set up using a ported box but feel a sealed one would be ok for me.Also can't trust the box manufacturer here to build a "professional" ported box.Thirdly,the box would go under the seat and can't put in more than 14"x17"x7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
Do you know the Thiele/Small parameters for the sub ?
tried a lot - the model no. is ASW1000but got nothing on it except some viruses
Old 6th February 2009, 13:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Eventually got a bigger box made.Dimensions were selected to make it a good fit under the center seat . The internal volume is now 0.74cu.ft and the bass is a shade better than what it used to be.

Till I post pics,just one question - the 8401 amp channel B has a +6dB bass boost switch.Would you recommend putting this on?

Also,is it worth introducing a 1.5" port in a box of this volume ?I am a little unsure of the results;hence did not get a port made.
Old 6th February 2009, 13:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Eventually got a bigger box made.Dimensions were selected to make it a good fit under the center seat . The internal volume is now 0.74cu.ft and the bass is a shade better than what it used to be.

Till I post pics,just one question - the 8401 amp channel B has a +6dB bass boost switch.Would you recommend putting this on?

Also,is it worth introducing a 1.5" port in a box of this volume ?I am a little unsure of the results;hence did not get a port made.
NO to the bass boost. And if happy with sealed why go ported ?
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 17:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
NO to the bass boost. And if happy with sealed why go ported ?
Badshao,

Thoda sa pharak pada hai ; frankly I expected greater improvement with volume going up almost double

I tried the bass boost and felt the bass was becoming too prominent and "disturbing" the sound stage ,hence switched it off.