Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 29th January 2009, 20:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
An Elantra wont be very far off from this. Don't have any pics of it unfortunately.

shiiiiiite! thats a 7200MKII in the optra. this is the one that has the x-odd lacs of cabling na?
anyways, the head unit that you could get is the Eclipse 3200, with bluetooth, USB, Aux in AND Time Correction. perfect for the requirements!

Yes, we do a few installs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
30k.
Lemme give it a shot.

Illusion Electra 6.1 - 7k
Illusion 6x9 ( dunno model no.) - 5.5k
JBL 1004e - 10k (without b/w)
GZ MK2(basic) - ~6k
wiring , enclosure etc - 3.5k

Total 32k
PERFECT abhinav. the model no of the Illusion 6*9 Coaxials is EL693.
And PLEASE DO NOT pair all this expensive equipment with the Built In HU! please, its blasphemy.
if you couple in discounts on the above equipment, it should be about Rs. 30k with install. adding a good head unit will add about 12-14k.
but with 40odd K you have quite a great sounding install!
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 21:56   #17
BHPian

@frankmehta

Thanks for the advice mate,I agree pairing good stuff with the stock HU is sacrilege
@B&T

May I know how much the Eclipse 3200 is for?Need to decide my budgets for various other parts of my life for the next two months accordingly
maverick030581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 10:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
... And PLEASE DO NOT pair all this expensive equipment with the Built In HU! please, its blasphemy. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick030581 View Post
... I agree pairing good stuff with the stock HU is sacrilege ...
Incorrect generalization. There is nothing to say that it is that way, unless you look at each component in the signal path, including the original signal itself. Unless one totally removes random noise (road, panel resonance etc.) it is unlikely you will be able to tell the difference. Stock HUs are not incompetent, nor is there a guarantee that expensive equipment is unquestionably superlative.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 10:57   #19
BHPian

@DerAlte

So does that mean that the Elantra's stock HU will do a good job and can be paired with,say,Illusion El front compos,rear speakers,a good amp and sub,along with good wiring,damping et al?
I'd have thought a good HU would make all the difference !

Last edited by maverick030581 : 30th January 2009 at 11:09.
Old 30th January 2009, 11:24   #20
BHPian

You might only need the new HU IF your current one doesn't support aux-in. if it has that it aint really worth losing all the functionality of a stock HU. Also consider here your BUDGET which is shot. my opinion put the whole thing together and listen to it for a while. IF you DON'T like it THEN get a replacement HU.
valhallen.282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 11:41   #21
BHPian

@vanhallen

Good point mate.Will check on the stock HU's specs and then take a call after fitting in all the other components.
Old 30th January 2009, 11:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Incorrect generalization. There is nothing to say that it is that way, unless you look at each component in the signal path, including the original signal itself. Unless one totally removes random noise (road, panel resonance etc.) it is unlikely you will be able to tell the difference. Stock HUs are not incompetent, nor is there a guarantee that expensive equipment is unquestionably superlative.
iI beg to differ, sirji. FYI, the head units that come in the 'so-called' OE equipment have some really poor internals, if you have cared to open up any of them, of late. please give me one example of a head unit in any indian cars(this side of 10 lacs) that you would want to keep in YOUR car when you are spending 25-30k on the rest of the equipment.
The head unit in this case is an OEM Hyundai CD player, that doesn't play Mp3s. and if it doesn't play mp3s, then its from the era of OE head units that never came with preouts. it will be surprising if we found pre outs on this one.
stock units may not be incompetent, but the equipment in question HERE, is definitely superlative. no two ways about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
You might only need the new HU IF your current one doesn't support aux-in. if it has that it aint really worth losing all the functionality of a stock HU. Also consider here your BUDGET which is shot. my opinion put the whole thing together and listen to it for a while. IF you DON'T like it THEN get a replacement HU.
there IS no functionality of a stock HU in an elantra my friend. no steering controls and not connected to the security system or immobilizer. its hyundai's way of filling a gaping hole in the dashboard with something that emits music. I have heard the Hyundai Elantra's Music System (if one should call it that) and its quite appaling.

Maverick, instead of all of us breaking our heads over something that doesnt even exist yet, why dont you take delivery of the car and take the head unit out while installation of the new ICE.
take photos of it. Der alte paaji must see how bad, bad can get.
Old 30th January 2009, 12:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:
The head unit in this case is an OEM Hyundai CD player, that doesn't play Mp3s. and if it doesn't play mp3s, then its from the era of OE head units that never came with preouts. i

Even though im not propogating the Stock Elantra HU ( never heard it frankly ) but the fact that a HU if it does not play mp3 would not be good is generalizing it a bit and would be an incorrect pointer in choosing a HU. Some of the best high end HU's today do not play mp3's.
sk456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 12:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

i know sk, but im just putting it to the era. not generalizing on the quality of the Hu considering it doesnt play mp3s. era, in the sense that i talk of the number of preouts that are available in the HU.
yes, some of the best Hu's like the Mcintoshes and Clarion DRZ-9255 dont play mp3s, but we aint talking of the best here, more about some of the worst
Old 30th January 2009, 12:49   #25
BHPian

@frank sir lets face it. i agree it won't be great but it doesn't make sense to keep changing everything and shoot the budget. all i'm saying is let HIM decide with his installer. and please note that if i anyone did a blindfold test with the stock HU and a new HU both at flat you wouldn't really know the difference unless you're a pure audiophile. whereas here we are looking at just trying to make a car sound better it is subjective so please let us not argue and let him choose between the two with his installer
Old 30th January 2009, 12:52   #26
BHPian

Quote:

Maverick, instead of all of us breaking our heads over something that doesnt even exist yet, why dont you take delivery of the car and take the head unit out while installation of the new ICE.
take photos of it. Der alte paaji must see how bad, bad can get.
+1 to that frank.As soon as I get the car in two weeks I'll atleast get the HU out(even though I'll need to wait a little and get my finances in order for the complete setup) and check the preouts et al.But after listening to it my hunch is also that Hyundai have just put in any cheap 2 DIN they could lay their hands on at the time.Looks good but doesn't play even half as well as my poor setup in my Accent
PS-vanhallen your point is well appreciated in terms of overdoing the budget.Will get the entire setup apart from HU done first and then decide if the HU needs replacement.Thanks for all your helpful feedback guys.

Last edited by maverick030581 : 30th January 2009 at 12:54.
Old 30th January 2009, 12:53   #27
Senior - BHPian

exactly my point. but when it comes to giving advice, i think the best advice should be given. not many people know how much of a difference a good head unit makes to the setup. its our duty to provide good advice. the choice is anyways the owners' and the installers'!

@valhallen: you have rainbows in your car. imagine if someone told you to run 'em off your STOCK hu(any stock Hu, you choose)
would you be doing that???? you also went for an eclipse right???

just proving my point. no arguments and all.. lol

Last edited by frankmehta : 30th January 2009 at 12:55.
Old 30th January 2009, 13:12   #28
BHPian

Truth be told i'm running a blaupunkt HU which is a cassette reciever with cd capabilty currently running a homemade aux cable linked to blau 6X9 and coaxial up front in stock location of wagonR. but as my friend perez will tell you its all the car needs. but you are right the best advice should be given.
Old 30th January 2009, 13:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

oops sorry mistook you for someone else. i though you had eclipse and rainbows in your car :-P