Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 4th February 2009, 09:45   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
does that mean ALAC/FLAC's(lossless) tracks played from the iPod will sound so-so compared to an audio cd burned with the same flac tracks?
I would not be so sure. I prefer the stability of a hard disk to that of a regualr CD platter. Ofcourse one can make a CD platter as mechanically stable as the hard disk but really I dont know why one would do that.

In my head I envision HUs that have a Ipod slot (like the cassette slots of old) where in you plug in and eject your ipod much like you would do a compact flash card in a DSLR.

The better DAC of the Alpine might not give you as much improvement as the better stability of the ipod hard disk vs the Alpine CD platter.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 18:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

ok that is welcome! if using FLAC/ALAC over the ipod will fetch better quality than running burnt CDs of the same data, then its perfect. all my aaltu-faaltu quality mp3s will be burnt onto cds, and i shall use the ipod only for High quality stuff.
good!
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 01:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
In my head I envision HUs that have a Ipod slot (like the cassette slots of old) where in you plug in and eject your ipod much like you would do a compact flash card in a DSLR.
Even i would love a hu with a slot for an ipod or a 2.5inch laptop hard drive (it would be more economical than an ipod)
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 07:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I still dunno which DAC will be in use when the iPod is connected to the Alpine. Will the burr brown DAC of the alpine be used, or will the DAC of the iPod be used? I really am confused about this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
DAC of the iPod, dude. Blur-Brown DAC
If you use the iDA series HU it's the HU's DAC, if you use the KCE cable then it's the iPod's DAC that works. So do remember to set your iPod EQ to flat before you plug it.

I think the iPod Classic uses a Wolfson DAC.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 11:49   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
If you use the iDA series HU it's the HU's DAC, if you use the KCE cable then it's the iPod's DAC that works. So do remember to set your iPod EQ to flat before you plug it.

I think the iPod Classic uses a Wolfson DAC.
How does the iDA bypass the ipod's DAC? I was given to believe (from an audio guru in Minneapolis) that the line out of the ipod is post DAC not pre DAC. Apparently Wadia has manged to bypass the ipod DAC so there must be a way.

I thought the Classic dropped the Wolfson (WM8975) DAC of the 4th and 5th Gen ipod.

Gunbir Singhji, ALO Audio in OR has made a living out of upgrading ipods charging upwards of $200 for $10 worth of mods.

Last edited by navin : 5th February 2009 at 11:54.
Old 10th February 2010, 15:53   #21
BHPian

What would be current market price of this cable?Checked Ebay(us) it varries from 6-30$, Not available on ebay India.
I can't understand the reason for such variation.
Checked locally at few shops it's not availble(if it is, let me know), would appreciate, if someone can tell, from where I can buy!
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 11:27   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
does that mean ALAC/FLAC's(lossless) tracks played from the iPod will sound so-so compared to an audio cd burned with the same flac tracks?
Yes unless you DIY a way to get the pre-DAC output of the ipod. I think Redwine does something like that.
Old 28th April 2010, 09:16   #23
BHPian

Default KCE-422i + Alpine DVA-9861E (oem safari HU)

Experts,

I have this scenario, kindly help with your valuable inputs.

My Safari (VX 2009) came with this Alpine DVD unit as OEM and also this cable in the "customer's packet" that I received from the dealer along with car keys, manuals etc. The cable was lying idle for last one year or so. However, couple of weeks back I sourced an iPod Nano 5g (video + latest firmware) and DIY installed the cable and hooked it to the HU. When I connect the iPod, Alpine recognizes it and let me play/browse the music. However, the screen on iPod displays a message like "this accessory does not charge the iPod". Is this expected or a blip in my install?

While charging iPod is a great feature, but, I can leave w/o, assuming just playing through the Alipne HU (LCD off) should not drain the iPod rapidly?

tia,
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 28th April 2010 at 09:26. Reason: prune empty space and fix typo
bj96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 10:34   #24
Team-BHP Support

Is the KCE-422i compatible with Alpine 9830?
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 10:35   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Is the KCE-422i compatible with Alpine 9830?
No you need the 420i.
Old 28th April 2010, 13:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
... While charging iPod is a great feature, but, I can leave w/o, assuming just playing through the Alipne HU (LCD off) should not drain the iPod rapidly? ...
Your iPod should play longer in your scenario, than it would have played with earphones! iPod does it's own power management.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 20:49   #27

Default Re: Alpine KCE-422i question

Hi All,

Sorry to reopen this old topic. But I need to know where I can procure a KCE-422i cable in Hyderabad.

I need this cable to connect an Ipod to my Alpline 9870EHI stock stereo system in Honda City ZX GXI. will really appreciate any help I can get..

thanks!
Dharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2016, 15:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
No, it connects to the iPod serial Tx+Rx pins. For USB, iPod uses pins 25 and 27 (Data - and +). Alpine has not brought out the lines as conventional USB (+5V, Data-, Data+, Gnd; half-duplex differential NRZI data).

The newer Alpine HUs have the electronic conversion on-board in the HU, so the connector is now a D-type (not D-sub) connector as with the KCE-422i that @frankmehta is buying. The pin-out of the connector is as below:
[Can't format the table so the data below is: KCE-422i pin, corresponding iPod dock pin(s), (description)]
1, 3 (Line-out, Right +)
2, 21 (Accessory Indicator)
3, 12 (Serial Tx)
4, 4 (Line-out, Left +)
5, 19,20 (FireWire +12VDC [in])
6, 18 (+3.3VDC [out])
7, 13 (Serial Rx)
8, 2 (Line-out, Common GND)
9, 11 (Serial GND)
10, 16 (USB GND)
Jacket, 29,30 (FireWire GND)

What matters is whether the Alpine HU can handle USB PnP and 'Disk Drive' scanning / reading. This functionality should be mentioned in the HU manual for it to read USB drives. Otherwise it will not read files from the USB drive and play them through it's DAC.
<digging up an old thread - Yes I'm still using my almost 8 year old HU) >
DerAlte,
I am trying to make my KCE 422i work with a bluetooth adapter which emulates the newer ipod/iphone pinout which, instead of the 12VDC from pin 19,20, relies on a 5V signal from pin 23.

also, I believe that in the KCE 422i, audio is still sent as analog, as pin 11 is shorted to ground in the cable and audio L/R is being sent via pins 3/4

My question is - to make the adapter (or for that matter, this app on my android phone with this custom cable) work, I need a 5V USB instead of the 12V firewire. Is it as easy as cutting and splicing in a 7805 between pins 19/20 and 23.

Also, can I connect 29/30 (Firewire GND) to 16(USB GND) and the 7805's GND?

Last edited by greenhorn : 21st April 2016 at 15:53.
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2016, 19:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
... I am trying to make my KCE 422i work with a bluetooth adapter which emulates the newer ipod/iphone pinout which, instead of the 12VDC from pin 19,20, relies on a 5V signal from pin 23. ...
My question is - to make the adapter (or for that matter, this app on my android phone with this custom cable) work, I need a 5V USB instead of the 12V firewire. Is it as easy as cutting and splicing in a 7805 between pins 19/20 and 23.

Also, can I connect 29/30 (Firewire GND) to 16(USB GND) and the 7805's GND?
I am a bit confused by your reference to pin numbers. You should refer to the D connector side numbers, and not the dock connector side.
Since the pinout says 'in' against the dock pins 19,20 - or pin 5 of the D connector - I am not sure whether the HU or the external device is meant to supply 12V for Firewire. Pin 23 there is no connection over the KCE cable to the D connector side.
If your HU is supplying 12V DC on pin 5 of the D connector, yes, an appropriately connected 7805 should do the trick. Please double check availability of 12V on pins 19 and 20 of the iPod dock connector when the HU is on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
... also, I believe that in the KCE 422i, audio is still sent as analog, as pin 11 is shorted to ground in the cable and audio L/R is being sent via pins 3/4 ...
Both analog Line Out (pin 8 of D connector as common ground, pin 1 Right+, pin 4 Left+) and Digital (pin 9 Serial gnd, Pin 3 Serial Tx, Pin 7 Serial Rx) are supported. Operation may not be simultaneous ( I have not tested; doesn't make sense) but I expect it would be Accessory dependent - controlled by the Alpine HU, since appropriate Menu would have to be presented based on what device is connected through KCE-422i.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2016, 13:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

apparently, somebody has done it
http://ikennd.ac/blog/2008/09/how-to...lots-of-stuff/

though i feel a bit stupid now, apparently the chinese have built a modded KCE 5V 422i
(as per alpine, you need to buy a KCX-422TR) which is available for the same cost as the original 422i - I should have bought that in the first place!

anyway, waiting for a 7805 board to arrive - will plug it in and see
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote