Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 23rd June 2009, 16:52   #466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang89 View Post
sorry for the ignorance,i dont want to disturb the intersting thread going on here,but as i am new-
can somebody please explain whats the difference between active and passive?
please post some links for my knowledge.sorry for the interruption.
In active setup, the mid bass, highs and lows are split at the HU itself. In passive setup, an external crossover is used (same as what we get with the copmonent set).

Last edited by shreyasma : 23rd June 2009 at 17:00.
shreyasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 16:56   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
You are still not able to align the tweeters as close to the mid bass. ...
In the US, at almost all restaurants one is told 'the lobsters are from Maine, the potatoes are from Idaho, the pork is from New York, the salt is from California ...' or something to that effect. Most Americans I have discussed this with, have told me that almost always everyone agrees that's special because "if they say that it must be so, I can't tell the difference anyhow". Another (childhood) story that comes to my mind is "Emperor's new clothes"!

Humour apart, does the TA system ask you whether you are driving the speakers active or passive? Or does it ask you "Are the mid-bass and tweeter sound like sitting on each other now with the current settings"?

I guess if we are trying to achieve so much precision as 'closeness of tweeters to the mid-bass', we have to use the same amount of precision in the complete ICE thought process, including instrumentation to confirm hypotheses. Otherwise, like the Emperor in the story, the low and mid end will be 'revealed', the soundstage will shift to rear, and we will be left chasing illusions instead of listening to Illusions, right?
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 18:31   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
But that doesn't means that TA in a passive setup is as good as not having one.

Are you running active or passive ?
It was just an expression abhibh. . What i meant was one can get full advantage of the TA when there is a dedicated channel each for the midbasses and the tweeters.

Right now i am running passive but you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Humour apart, does the TA system ask you whether you are driving the speakers active or passive? Or does it ask you "Are the mid-bass and tweeter sound like sitting on each other now with the current settings"?

I guess if we are trying to achieve so much precision as 'closeness of tweeters to the mid-bass', we have to use the same amount of precision in the complete ICE thought process, including instrumentation to confirm hypotheses. Otherwise, like the Emperor in the story, the low and mid end will be 'revealed', the soundstage will shift to rear, and we will be left chasing illusions instead of listening to Illusions, right?

Lol.

But then when you are active you can fiddle around with the TA for the tweeters as well.
When you have 4 dedicated channels for the front - 2 for the mid basses and 2 for the highs, then you can align all the 4 channels seperately while when you have only 2 channels, one for the left(mid+high) and other for the left, you cannot individually align the tweeters and the mid basses.

I might be wrong though.
I am just a learner.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 19:01   #469
Senior - BHPian

Arrey Gupta-ji, 'fiddleability' is no indicator of certainty of obtaining good results. Most things follow the KISS principle.
Old 23rd June 2009, 19:05   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Arrey Gupta-ji, 'fiddleability' is no indicator of certainty of obtaining good results. Most things follow the KISS principle.

the KISS principle?

By the way in your opinion, isn't TA better applicable in a setup with seperate channels for all mids and highs than a passive one.
Old 23rd June 2009, 21:48   #471
BHPian

Sorry to interrupt, DA and Guptaji, your nice discussion (I'm following it closely and learning many things)- but here's a basic question on TA- does it always, invariably and inevitably create just one sweet spot for listening, or can we manipulate the system somehow to create at least two sweet spots, if not four?
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:01   #472
Senior - BHPian

I don't think.
TA is done to make all the sound come to the ear at the same time.
I don't think it can reach 2 different points at the same time.
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:58   #473
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default back to the topic now!

Ok now, before you guys go deep deep deep into the TA world talking about what not, things that goo absolutely above my head. Only thing that does sound correct is that sound should be heard by ears. Not the brain. Hear it, fiddle with it, hear it again, fiddle with it again, and then again keep on hearing and fiddling till you are satisfied.

I, Chirag, Abhi, Rushi(friend) met today to TUNE chirag's system. Armed with just a screw driver and 4 pairs of ears, boy we did a good job. (Yes I'm boasting. ). Don't ask about the tech stuff from me because I haven't a clue, but, do ask about the sound because that I do know something about. And for everyone saying TA doesn't make this difference then and this difference then, go listen to Chirag's car. Once with TA, once without. It's like differentiating a peacock from a hen. Chirag my friend, you got an amazing kit of stuff there. Hold on to it. HEAR it. Do not hear to what the OVER TECH world confuses you about.

By the way, change the sub box to sealed or else you'll seriously end up sending a Saree or two flying with the shear amount of AIR from that sub.

Abhi, do me a favor, post the video of the little pod dancing.

cheers
bharti22shresth

P.S. (Chirag's neighbors came out running just to heard what the whole ruckus was about, and we hadn't even turned the mono "on" then)

Last edited by bharti22shresth : 23rd June 2009 at 23:04.
bharti22shresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 23:48   #474
Senior - BHPian

Thats really nice to hear that he is enjoying the music.

Its not that TA doesn't make a difference.
It does.
Great amount of it especially to bring the sub up front and integrating it with the front stage.
But i wanted to say that a TA on a setup with dedicated channels for mids and highs would be better than the one in a passive setup.

Last edited by abhinav.gupta88 : 23rd June 2009 at 23:52.
Old 24th June 2009, 12:23   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the KISS principle?
Keep It Simple, Stu...! No better example than what/how @bharti22shresth wrote.

Quote:
By the way in your opinion, isn't TA better applicable ...
No, since IMHO I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. TA is about time of arrival at the ear, not innate high frequency qualities. If the tweeter response is (relatively) shrill, it will stay shrill (bright), and not become less bright, nor make the wave appear with any more accurate delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharti22shresth View Post
... sound should be heard by ears. Not the brain. Hear it, fiddle with it, hear it again,fiddle with it again, ...
Actually, it is your brain that is making you do the fiddling! If you just hear it (like they say "with you heart") you will go along with the lyrics, rhythmics and notes of the song without trying to split hair. If you want to listen to music, let your brain rest.

Quote:
... just a screw driver and 4 pairs of ears, ...
Of course you should boast! Shabash, that's the spirit!!!

By the way, how did you 4 agree with each other? THAT is the most surprising thing.
Old 24th June 2009, 12:45   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, how did you 4 agree with each other? THAT is the most surprising thing.
United Punjabi Spirit..

Keep it up guys..well done!
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 13:30   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chirag my friend, you got an amazing kit of stuff there. Hold on to it. HEAR it. Do not hear to what the OVER TECH world confuses you about.
So how do you find if you compare Abhihb and Chirag setup which one would you like more ?
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 14:18   #478
BHPian

This calls for another TBHP meet @ Chd... Shreshth - Please do the honors
sonirohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 17:12   #479
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:

I and abhi have near identical taste for music, chirag and rushi have similar taste for music. Hence we just tuned the setup so that it can go BOOM when the occasional "kida" comes up and rest of the time sing melodiously. Though it will be more to my liking if the tweeter position is dealt which it will be. Soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
So how do you find if you compare Abhihb and Chirag setup which one would you like more ?
I'd have to say Abhi. Why? Because I'm not much of a fan of a back massage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonirohit View Post
This calls for another TBHP meet @ Chd... Shreshth - Please do the honors
AHA! Well said. OK, CHDbhpians, Rohit sir's giving us all a treat at BARBEQUE NATIONS this weekend. Anyhow, he will have to because most of us are broke anyways so, might as well be "besharam".
bharti22shresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 17:43   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd have to say Abhi. Why? Because I'm not much of a fan of a back massage.
If we take the case of the fronts....
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote