Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 20th November 2010, 18:55   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuj View Post
Taking delivery of my Ritz this Sunday, with the integrated stereo. AFAIK and from what I've seen of the stereo being disassembled at the workshop for repairs/removal, it should be relatively thief-proof, as it takes rather long to unscrew the panel and remove the entire thing. I went for the integrated stereo for the same reason... had to carry around my HU when I had my Santro, a
My neighbor has a Swift Zxi, one fine morning he finds his front window thrashed, dash ripped open and the stereo gone, in addition he discovers that my car's window has been thrashed and my HU has gone( though this car didn't have any shock sensor)!

He has the same fancy shock sensor type alarm system that I have and it didn't even beep a bit , If i bang the door hard enough it beeps.I wonder how the thieves disabled it.

So talking about stereos integrated into the dash, they can also be stolen,
And being in Delhi , I have gone through three pairs of honda side view mirrors(60k) , 2 fiat logos recently(1.3k), one stereo(8k) etc
LOL
I have learnt my lesson the hard way.

Last edited by GT500 : 20th November 2010 at 18:57.
GT500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 20:51   #32
BHPian

Default Hey

I can understand the pain of losing your favourite sound system; especially when we spend our hard earned money! I had a similar experience 2 years back, my Sony CDX 350GTs's chassis got stolen while the face plate was with me. I used it for 2 years before it got stolen. The thief cut my console, ripped the wiring and didnt even leave the harness behind! Must be a chindi chor! I then shifted to a Balupunkt SD 27 which came with only a SD card, FM and Aux. So once i take the face plate, the rear body has no value as it only houses the circuit!
Now, I upgraded to an A-star, and have the speakers in the Doors and Dashboard.
I've come up with a workaround and can not discuss it here for security reasons . Will PM if you require it.
karan1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 22:42   #33
BHPian

My friend had his indica parked in chennai's leading IT park. The integrated audio was stolen and the gap was covered neatly with original plastic panel. Finally the issue was traced down to cab drivers who replaced the integrated audio.
arunsasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 08:35   #34
BHPian

Default Re: Are integrated audios theft proof?

check out this guys modus operandi

Quote:
In 2007, the accused Raj Singh, a Rajasthan resident, loved Sukanya, a girl from the neighbourhood. But since she was a minor then, her parents were opposed to the idea. So Singh and Sukanya ran away to Bangalore where they got married. Since Singh had some experience in repairing cars, he got a job in a garage as a serviceman. But since the pay was low, the newly married couple had frequent quarrels. This led Singh to look for other options.

Experienced hand
Since the job mostly required him to change car stereos often, he knew their actual prices. He originally planned to steal the stereos, but knew that it would be noticed immediately. So, he decided to replace the original accessories with fake ones. The only difference here would be the original brand's labels, which he would put on the duplicate stereos.

The plan was an apparent success, because he made more than Rs 8 lakh in a span of two years.
Gang held for stealing car stereos, selling fake ones

HTH
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 09:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

Form the News, it does not seem to be a case of theft. He was selling fakes.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 11:41   #36
BHPian

I had my pioneers stolen twice couple of years back, then i switched to an in-built stereo and have been less tensed since then. the OEMs dont look good and fit only on specific models, thus low second hand value for them.
And on top, i was tired of taking the HU out every time i step out of the car.
vista_qjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 15:06   #37
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt500 View Post
So talking about stereos integrated into the dash, they can also be stolen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan1609 View Post
So once i take the face plate, the rear body has no value as it only houses the circuit!
The best way to prevent car stereo theft is to make the stereo invisible to thieves.

Use stock locations for speakers or if you are doing modifications to the doors or dash make sure the work is done so well that it atleast looks stock.

Since most thefts happen withing a few minutes of the owner leaving the car I usually turn off teh stereo a few minutes before getting to my desitination if the destination is a public space (my office and home are quite secure). This ensures that locals do not know that my car has an expensive stereo.

It is also good practice to remove the faeplate of the HU and take it with you or atleast hide it well inside the vehicle (not in the glove box or other obvious place).

OEM HUs have poorer resale value and hence are not targetted as much.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 15:46   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Form the News, it does not seem to be a case of theft. He was selling fakes.

No No, he was stealing originals and replacing them with fakes!!
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 19:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

Based on the article, big numbers seem to come from fakes

Quote:
Raj Singh not only stole car stereo sets, but also introduced
fake ones worth Rs 15 lakh in the market
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote