Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 15th February 2009, 15:57   #1
BHPian

Default iPhone 3G connectivity options

Hi, my iPhone 3g doesn't seem to work with any of the car usb connectors, it just keeps on making the sound that comes every time you connect it to a charger. So far I have tried on the new city and i20 and its the same, do you need some sort of special cable other than the standard iphone usb charger cable for this?

Also what are my options to get the iPhone connected the car speakers, like the Linea blue and me, so I can receive and make calls through the speakers when I am driving, and also get charged from the usb socket? Anyone have any help on this.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 16:08   #2
BHPian

You need to get an aftermarket HU with both bluetooth (for making calls through the speakers) and iPod connectivity (so you can listen to your iPhone music in the car, and use the HU to browse through playlists, select tracks etc.

I use a Pioneer FH-P8000BT to do all that with my iPhone (1st generation). Works perfectly.
theEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 16:21   #3
BHPian

Both the new city and i20 have ipod connectivity through the usb port but for some mysterious reason it doesn't work on my iPhone.

I did some research online and it appears you may need some special usb cable. provided by the HU manufacturer to make the 3G work on some music systems, and this only applies to the 3G because Apple changed some pins on the usb port.

So anyone else with a 3G working with the HU and where to source this usb cable?
Old 15th February 2009, 18:21   #4
BHPian

just buy a i-trip for ipod. it will say that it does not recognize the device, but it works perfectly. and its way cheaper then buying a new HU.

cheers.
softroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 12:04   #5
BHPian

Scosche passPORT Car Charging Adapter - Apple Store (U.K.)

Apparently this is what you need to get car USB ports to work with iPhone 3G, does anyone know if this is available here at Apple, or something that will provide the same functionality here in Mumbai/Pune.
Old 17th February 2009, 21:36   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Scosche passPORT Car Charging Adapter - Apple Store (U.K.)

Apparently this is what you need to get car USB ports to work with iPhone 3G, does anyone know if this is available here at Apple, or something that will provide the same functionality here in Mumbai/Pune.
Not sure about that specific connector, but the local Apple store here does have both composite and component out cables for use with the iPhone. Naturally, those cables work well for Audio also. But, to take calls, the best bet is a blue tooth compatible HU. I dont have one, so I use a Jabra bluetooth unit, and since I play music from the iPhone, the music gets silenced automatically when calls come in...
tadukuttan is offline   Reply With Quote