Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 22nd February 2009, 13:40   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
congrats chiragh, thats a great HU! how much did you get it for ? I have a 9870.
It doesnt have a volume knob, aux in or USB, but the SQ (especially when using the built in amp) is much better than most HU's in the price range

PS: have you tuned it? what settings are you running it on?

i have not tuned it to perfection cause i think rca are wrongly attached on amp side..
chiragh_bir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 10:37   #32
Senior - BHPian

changing HU again..

now 4050
Old 25th February 2009, 19:40   #33
abk
BHPian

Ensounded folks, after having gleaned the essence of ICE and all the ICing that happens in this section of TBHP am baited to seek your opinion along the same lines of this thread: recommendations of a "moderate" HU. The meaning and context of "moderate" is explained below:

Context:
  1. Car is Santro Xing, in a small town in Assam
  2. Currently has Kenwood HU (I guess the model is KDC-MP333)
  3. The front speakers are stock (not sure about the dia just in case I am pushed to upgrading to components)
  4. Pioneer 6x9 co-axials installed on the rear tray (not sure of the model no. bought from NOIDA for Rs. 2600/- couple of years ago)
  5. Am very happy with the sound quality and the punch of bass (i love Dil Se title song on this set up)
  6. Need replacement because the current HU developed a problem 4-5 months after the car was bought: It would refuse to eject CDs. As a result have to press the eject button & quickly take the face plate off and pull the CD out by a pair of forceps! I took it to a local electronics mechanic but he could not resolve the problem

Requirements:
  1. The car is used sparingly almost always by my folks. Only when I go home on vacation I take it out for longer drives (~300 km each way). I drive half the time the rest half seated at the back. So need decent sound quality evenly spread both at the front and at the back. Am aware that am probably enticing the sound gurus here to tempt me with a plethora of upgrades, just not the HU!
  2. Budget for the HU Rs 5~6k
  3. No need for bill & warranty as I can't think of any authorised service centres of reputed brands around my hometown. Reminds me, I will have to check if they have a service centre for Kenwood in Guwahati/Siliguri to get the current HU repaired
  4. Don't need a fancy stuff (fear of getting burgled - my OHC HU was burgled in my hometown once) besides my folks are not particularly keen on car music quality
  5. No plans whatsoever to put in an amplifier or a sub-woofer in the future. A decent HU with couple of pairs of speakers are adequately suited for the needs of my folks. Replacement of the stock speakers at the front with a decent pair of components may be considered to give me better music experience when I travel but no amps or subs.
  6. I can pick up one myself from Europe or have it ordered from US if there are compelling reasons to buy one from outside India.
  7. Type of music i will listen to in that car: Hindi movie songs (all kinds), ghazals, western classical and occasionally rock & roll.

Thanks in advance!
abk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 10:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk View Post
Ensounded folks, after having gleaned the essence of ICE and all the ICing that happens in this section of TBHP am baited to seek your opinion along the same lines of this thread: recommendations of a "moderate" HU. The meaning and context of "moderate" is explained below:

Context:
  1. Car is Santro Xing, in a small town in Assam
  2. Currently has Kenwood HU (I guess the model is KDC-MP333)
  3. The front speakers are stock (not sure about the dia just in case I am pushed to upgrading to components)
  4. Pioneer 6x9 co-axials installed on the rear tray (not sure of the model no. bought from NOIDA for Rs. 2600/- couple of years ago)
  5. Am very happy with the sound quality and the punch of bass (i love Dil Se title song on this set up)
  6. Need replacement because the current HU developed a problem 4-5 months after the car was bought: It would refuse to eject CDs. As a result have to press the eject button & quickly take the face plate off and pull the CD out by a pair of forceps! I took it to a local electronics mechanic but he could not resolve the problem
Requirements:
  1. The car is used sparingly almost always by my folks. Only when I go home on vacation I take it out for longer drives (~300 km each way). I drive half the time the rest half seated at the back. So need decent sound quality evenly spread both at the front and at the back. Am aware that am probably enticing the sound gurus here to tempt me with a plethora of upgrades, just not the HU!
  2. Budget for the HU Rs 5~6k
  3. No need for bill & warranty as I can't think of any authorised service centres of reputed brands around my hometown. Reminds me, I will have to check if they have a service centre for Kenwood in Guwahati/Siliguri to get the current HU repaired
  4. Don't need a fancy stuff (fear of getting burgled - my OHC HU was burgled in my hometown once) besides my folks are not particularly keen on car music quality
  5. No plans whatsoever to put in an amplifier or a sub-woofer in the future. A decent HU with couple of pairs of speakers are adequately suited for the needs of my folks. Replacement of the stock speakers at the front with a decent pair of components may be considered to give me better music experience when I travel but no amps or subs.
  6. I can pick up one myself from Europe or have it ordered from US if there are compelling reasons to buy one from outside India.
  7. Type of music i will listen to in that car: Hindi movie songs (all kinds), ghazals, western classical and occasionally rock & roll.
Thanks in advance!
I think you listen to more of vocals & not bassy songs so I would suggest go for Kenwood 5539 if not then pioneer 5050

Speakers : for front you can try JBL ( VFM Seakers)
Rear you can add JBL GTO series

You can also think of buying alpine or pioneer headunits with b&w as they cover 1 year theft insurance so that will give peace of mind

All this easily avaible in india
Old 26th February 2009, 20:40   #35
Senior - BHPian

so chiragh, which one is it finally???????
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 17:17   #36
Senior - BHPian

PANASONIC 7303

Am done now !! No more ICE upgrades now !
Old 28th February 2009, 17:32   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
PANASONIC 7303

Am done now !! No more ICE upgrades now !

Let me keep an eye on you for this
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 17:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

yes & you should better stop me as well from more upgrades :P

i will keep an eye on you for your upgrades
Old 28th February 2009, 18:43   #39
Senior - BHPian

Congrats chiragh.
Update your thread.

@ Mods if required please close thread.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 23:20   #40
BHPian

I'd bought a Pio 3550 for ~4k a year ago. w/o B&W but from a known "source". Works fine, decent SQ, plenty of "options" to fiddle with, no frills.
godog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 23:57   #41
BHPian

i got a pio 5050 used for 7 months for 5k.now thats a steal...!!
ariendj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 00:23   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

how much did the pana cost? features over the pio?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote