Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2009, 18:39   #31
BHPian
 
sujitm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 70
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Now that 1004 is discontinued, the next higher model is JBL PX300.4.

Any idea how much does that cost?
sujitm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 19:12   #32
BHPian
 
D1ISTHE1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: OMNIPRESENT
Posts: 120
Thanked: 0 Times
Thumbs down

Always think twice b4 buying a JBL amp. I had bought a GTO755.6II.
All it has is a pathetic x-over, tripps, no fan and a lousy heat sink. In other words
Sound quality = normal
build quality = ok-just about makes it.
heat sink = not adequate
x-over= the worst i came across.

I regret that i bought a JBL.
D1
D1ISTHE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 09:09   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
panky12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 126 Times
Default

.. did some recommend you for going in for this particular model? generally, 6 channel amps are not that powerful. its always better to go in for 2/4 ch + mono option!
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 11:14   #34
BHPian
 
DjNik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 340
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujitm View Post
Now that 1004 is discontinued, the next higher model is JBL PX300.4.

Any idea how much does that cost?
The 1004 is discontinued???
Are you sure?

I dont think there is any reason for it to be discontinued.

Last edited by DjNik : 25th March 2009 at 11:24.
DjNik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 11:16   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

I don't think the GTO 1004 is discontinued.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 11:53   #36
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,453 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujitm View Post
Now that 1004 is discontinued
No no, it's not discontinued, who told you that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1ISTHE1 View Post
Always think twice b4 buying a JBL amp. I had bought a GTO755.6II.
All it has is a pathetic x-over, tripps, no fan and a lousy heat sink. In other words
Sound quality = normal
build quality = ok-just about makes it.
heat sink = not adequate
x-over= the worst i came across.

I regret that i bought a JBL.
D1
The GTO755.6II was never sold in India. In any case it is an old and discontinued model. I respect your opinion and I understand that you did not like the amplifier but I am most curious to know a few things.
  • I'm not sure how you define build quality. Of course I work for JBL and my opinion may be a little biased (please do not feel that I'm leaping to the rescue of an older amplifier that was never sold in India), but I did feel that the old GTO series was pretty well built. In fact the GTO75.4 was one of the most popular amplifiers in its category with many, many fans for its sound quality and power. The topology was similar for the 755.6 but as someone pointed out, it was a 6 channel amplifier and probably had lesser power than, for example, the 75.4.
In the price range of that 6 channel amplifier (I don't know what you paid for it) did you find something that was better built? Do let us know what 6 channel amplifier was better built and in what way. When you say badly built, are you referring to circuit topology, construction, metal gauge, rickety body?
  • You also mentioned that the crossover was the worst you ever came across. That is a bit vague. Was it missing certain critical tuning elements that are usually present in other amplifiers? What were they?
  • Lastly - you mentioned that the heat sink was inadequate. How did you come to that conclusion? How does anyone come to a conclusion if the heat sink designed by the engineering department of any brand is insufficient? Amplifiers run hot. This is no secret. How did you come to the conclusion that the heat sink was inadequate? Did the amplifier fail due to inadequate heat dissipation?
Please note that I am not offended by any of your statements, nor am I trying to provoke an argument. I respect your opinion. I am just curious. You may choose to ignore my questions and I'll be fine with that.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 11:58   #37
BHPian
 
sujitm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 70
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

^^ Union Auto Industries, i got the mumbai phone no. from India JBL
sujitm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 12:07   #38
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,453 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujitm View Post
^^ Union Auto Industries, i got the mumbai phone no. from India JBL
Probably some misunderstanding. Like somebody said, there's no reason to discontinue, there's nothing to replace it and that is a popular category in India.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 12:30   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
there's no reason to discontinue, there's nothing to replace it and that is a popular category in India.
Is there any JBL amp with higher RMS than the 1004 ? Say 125/150 x 4 @ 4 ohms ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 12:36   #40
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,453 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Is there any JBL amp with higher RMS than the 1004 ? Say 125/150 x 4 @ 4 ohms ?
After the GTO1004 comes the Px300.4 - this is from the Power series.

That has the kind of power you are asking about, but the amplifier costs about 40K.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 12:56   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

So getting this amp from the US for $250 is a steal then.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 14:35   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,744
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
So getting this amp from the US for $250 is a steal then.
If you're talking about the Power Series amp that Sam mentioned for $250, it is a bit like stealing it. No wait, stealing could get you in trouble. This won't.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 14:36   #43
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,453 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
So getting this amp from the US for $250 is a steal then.
Go for it. Eyes closed. What a deal!
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 14:40   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,866
Thanked: 2,231 Times
Default

he's right guys! here's the link!

JBL PX300.4 (px3004) Multi-channel Amps Car Amplifiers Car Audio and Video - Sonic Electronix
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 14:43   #45
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,453 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Yeah, but it's out of stock.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alert - Fake JBL products (Amps, Speakers, Subs...) Sam Kapasi In-Car Entertainment 44 18th January 2012 12:24
JBL GTO Vs JBL GT5 Amps. rider60 In-Car Entertainment 9 30th May 2011 13:35
Eclipse-Hertz-JL audio-Jbl(amps) in the swift rider60 In-Car Entertainment 69 23rd December 2010 00:27
alpine 9887 + infinity kappa + jbl amps sounding harsh..please help tuning vickyre In-Car Entertainment 8 5th November 2008 14:02
2 months old JBL CS60.2 and JVC 3300 Amps for sale!!! gopz Shifting gears 3 9th June 2007 16:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:02.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks