Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 6th March 2009, 16:43   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Nishant which site are you ordering it from & for how much ?
Old 6th March 2009, 16:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

I think friend sending from usa or some one carrying it down. So Nishant. Lock kiya jaaye? ;-)
Old 6th March 2009, 16:49   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to Nishant I am getting Ideas too

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th March 2009 at 20:15.
Old 6th March 2009, 17:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Nishant which site are you ordering it from & for how much ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I think friend sending from usa or some one carrying it down. So Nishant. Lock kiya jaaye? ;-)
My friend is flying down soon. He would be getting it for me.
Quote:
Thanks to Nishant I an getting Ideas too
Thanks to Frank that I got to know about this HU
Technocrat - How are you planning to get it?
Old 6th March 2009, 17:16   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Well someone is traveling this month but I am not sure which website has one available :(
Old 6th March 2009, 20:41   #36
JPL
BHPian

Quote:
Well someone is traveling this month but I am not sure which website has one available :(
Newegg.com - Clarion In-Dash CD Receiver/CeNET Control Model DXZ785USB
Old 16th March 2009, 17:31   #37
Senior - BHPian

One question - Is the 24 Bit D/A converter used for processing sound from iPod and USB as well?
Old 16th March 2009, 20:15   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

So does that mean you have ordered it?
Old 16th March 2009, 20:47   #39
Senior - BHPian

From USB and Ipod ( If using the iPod adapter) then it should be the same.
Not sure though.
Old 16th March 2009, 21:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
One question - Is the 24 Bit D/A converter used for processing sound from iPod and USB as well?
Not really. In case of the iPod it depends on your method of interface. With an external interface or "full speed" cable (like in Alpine) the DAC of the iPod is what comes in play. In case of USB, usually the inbuilt DAC on the USB receiver chip is used.
Old 17th March 2009, 00:41   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Not really. In case of the iPod it depends on your method of interface. With an external interface or "full speed" cable (like in Alpine) the DAC of the iPod is what comes in play. In case of USB, usually the inbuilt DAC on the USB receiver chip is used.
That doesn't sound good at all
You meant to say when we change audio sources, internally it is one of many analog channels that gets selected (like one for CD, one for USB and likewise), each having it's own DAC? In that case unless each DAC is equally good, quality of a given audio file will vary depending upon whether it is played though a CD or USB drive??

Logically, I would think all the switching to happen in digital domain, which finally gets fed to a single DAC. But that doesn't seem to be a fact then?
Old 17th March 2009, 00:52   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
That doesn't sound good at all
You meant to say when we change audio sources, internally it is one of many analog channels that gets selected (like one for CD, one for USB and likewise), each having it's own DAC? In that case unless each DAC is equally good, quality of a given audio file will vary depending upon whether it is played though a CD or USB drive??

Logically, I would think all the switching to happen in digital domain, which finally gets fed to a single DAC. But that doesn't seem to be a fact then?
Right on. That's what one does expect. But for whatever reason manufacturers make such choices, the Radio, Aux in, USB and CD seem to be switched in the analog domain.

Simple test: try burning the same mp3 onto a CD-R and compare that with the same file on a thumb drive. More often than not, the file on the CD will sound better.
Old 17th March 2009, 01:08   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Right on. That's what one does expect. But for whatever reason manufacturers make such choices, the Radio, Aux in, USB and CD seem to be switched in the analog domain.
My guess is most likely for cost or some "legacy" reasons in their design process.

Quote:
Simple test: try burning the same mp3 onto a CD-R and compare that with the same file on a thumb drive. More often than not, the file on the CD will sound better.
Exactly my worry! I am going to get the same HU, thinking CDs are more or less getting obsolete, and that I will mainly use USB drives. (Now that these disks are quite cheap, even for size in TB range, I am hopeful of creating a lossless WMA collection which this HU is supposed to play)

But I am still hopeful (I have to be) that there should not be significant difference between CD and USB. Radio is a different matter, can be left alone!

Last edited by santosh.s : 17th March 2009 at 01:09.
Old 17th March 2009, 10:02   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am hopeful of creating a lossless WMA collection which this HU is supposed to play)
AFAIK currently no HUs support WMA Lossless... I suggest sticking to WAV files.
Old 17th March 2009, 10:06   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... But for whatever reason manufacturers make such choices, the Radio, Aux in, USB and CD seem to be switched in the analog domain ...
Quote:
My guess is most likely for cost or some "legacy" reasons in their design process. ...
The switching has to be done in one domain - either analog or digital (byte stream). Since the byte switch is costlier than the analog switch (more silicon real estate), and the fact that analog sources would then have to be converted to digital before switching (even more cost), analog switch is the most obvious choice.

Is there really a problem if analog signals are switched?
Closed Thread