Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 21st April 2009, 15:00   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
It's good see more and more people getting 785. It's well build featured headunit. Complete VFM.
MASK@ i picked up mine for 105$ from amazon after minus of 25 $ reward point.
I got one too. $139.99.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 09:05   #257
BHPian

105 $, I got mine for double the amount but i ain't complaining much. I've been under it's swinging influence for the better part a year+.

Guess the early bird paid the price

Blows away the competition with it's price-to-performance ratio. Pity it's officially unavailable in India.
St. Anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 11:26   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
What about the FM tuning. We here in India follow European tunning. Can anyone of you let us know if that is possible from this HU as everyone here has sourced it from the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Tush as I have mentioned earlier there is no problem with FM radio. I hear all the available channels in Pune
Techno, I am not able to tune 104 FM in Mumbai. Have you found a way to tune even frequencies? Coincidentally, all other FM stations are on odd frequencies so no problem there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Is this not available in India? Have no option currently to source it from the US.
Explore buddy explore. There are ways and means to get it from US right now as well. Just that you would need to pay slightly higher than the converted price. The solution has already been posted in this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post

PS: after all, who was the venerable one that suggested that head unit to many of you'll?
I thank you from the bottom of my heart Frank! Although I still *hate* you for making me audition your ICE every now and then. Whenever I go back to my car, I start getting evil, upgrade related thoughts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I got one too. $139.99.
Amazon has lowered it to $170 now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Anger View Post
105 $, I got mine for double the amount but i ain't complaining much. I've been under it's swinging influence for the better part a year+.

Guess the early bird paid the price

Blows away the competition with it's price-to-performance ratio. Pity it's officially unavailable in India.
I believe Tanmay was the first owner of the 785/6 on TBHP? Had it not been for your audition, I would not haven been 'desperate' to order this HU.

I think even if it is officially available in India, it would be priced very high and because of that it would not be able to capture market share (mainly because its looks and the 'unique' SlideTrak UI weigh it down vis-a-vis the competition).

Actually, the Clarion Marketing Head for India told me that the only reason they moved out of after market (in India i.e.) was because consumers didn't value the price-performance equation of the Clarion vis-a-vis Pio/Kenwood/JVC/Sony.

Lets face it - bulk (i.e 80%+) of India's consumers still go for Pio/Sony as their first HU.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 11:43   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Techno, I am not able to tune 104 FM in Mumbai. Have you found a way to tune even frequencies? Coincidentally, all other FM stations are on odd frequencies so no problem there.
Need to check that Nishant I used auto tune & saw 4 channels being set. I dont listen to radio much so didnt notice. Will check & let you know though I am not sure if there is anything beyond 101 in Pune.

p.s aint that an all women channel
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 11:56   #260
Senior - BHPian

Techno, 104.80 is the all women's channel! and its called MEOOOOW!
hahah. But honestly, 104.80 and 104.00 and occasionally 107.10 in mumbai are the only few channels that play english music.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:04   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

what happened to that 92.xx (Red FM or Go something) channel which was an all youth channel & used to play most of the English songs a few years back.
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:07   #262
Senior - BHPian

92.7 was owned by mid day and was called go fm i think. alas, they slowly succumbed to the himesh reshammiya fever and have never looked back after that.
losers
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:18   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh thats sad to know. In my college days it was my only source of some good English songs to listen in to
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:56   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Did you try the trick that I had posted, to switch between US and European tuning modes?
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 13:11   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
p.s aint that an all women channel
Techno - I have a wife! She doesnt understand why I need to listen to Dire Straits/RHCP/Green Day/AVB at such high volumes early morning on my way to work. So she silently switches to FM and obviously I cant protest there. I need all FM channels tuned and stored so that she can merrily switch stations whenever she wants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Techno, 104.80 is the all women's channel! and its called MEOOOOW!
hahah. But honestly, 104.80 and 104.00 and occasionally 107.10 in mumbai are the only few channels that play english music.
Yes, 104.8 does play engliss music, although I doubt Fever FM (104.0) does that?

By the way, 107.10 also plays sindhi news at 0830 hrs Its truly a multi-cultural channel!
Quote:
what happened to that 92.xx (Red FM or Go something) channel which was an all youth channel & used to play most of the English songs a few years back.
92.7 is now Big FM, AFAIK. Red FM is 95.0 right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Did you try the trick that I had posted, to switch between US and European tuning modes?
Sorry, seem to have missed that post. Can you please re-elaborate?
Old 23rd April 2009, 13:30   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

I was chatting with another 785 owner(feelthebass) & he reminded me of a question that I wanted to ask.

What exactly does the Amp canceler option do? I switched it on & off & nothing happened
Old 23rd April 2009, 13:39   #267
Senior - BHPian

the amp canceller switches off the internal amplifier and routes all the power to the preouts. Apparently reduces noise, and increases signal strength to the amplifier in layman terms.
if you have any speakers running off the head unit, then you must keep it on. But if you're powering everything through the preouts (ie, all speakers are amplified) then switch it off.
I dunno how much of a difference it makes, but this is the theory.

PS: That is the reason why many higher head units come with no built in amplification. Like the eclipse 7200MKII and the HX-D2.
Old 23rd April 2009, 13:42   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Cool thanks, I probably didnt hear any difference as only rear speakers are powered by HU & in front I dont come to know if they are working or not

Btw anybody knows if the list feature can browse across folders? as of now I can only browse within a folder.
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:18   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cool thanks, I probably didnt hear any difference as only rear speakers are powered by HU & in front I dont come to know if they are working or not

Btw anybody knows if the list feature can browse across folders? as of now I can only browse within a folder.
I was just replying to the PM sent by FeelTheBass on the same issue. Please post answer if someone is able to decipher the working of the LIST feature.
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:23   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Anger View Post
105 $, I got mine for double the amount but i ain't complaining much.
Just how is $ 105 double the amount ?

@santosh... did not get the part about Amazon lowering the price to 170. It was 129, 139 right ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote