Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 20th May 2009, 16:29   #316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
No passy- there are 1.5 TB HDDs around and pendrives will take a little while to get there

Btw how do you power your HDD? Is there a standard plug-n-play solution available (sorry if the question is stupid)?
I just plugged the HDD in and it played. As simple as that. No external power needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
Awesome, Frank! I think now we can throw this Buffalo at anyone who talks about lossy vs lossless formats again! A 500 GB Buffalo (sounds nice) should be able to digest plenty of music. Do I see the end-of-road for CD changers here?
It can definitely store lots of music, but then, is there a HU which can play lossless formats directly off USB?
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 16:34   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I just plugged the HDD in and it played. As simple as that. No external power needed.

It can definitely store lots of music, but then, is there a HU which can play lossless formats directly off USB?
Man this is getting better! I think HUs would play WAVs fine, no? so maybe 400 GB for WAVs and the remaining for MP3s@320kbps- enjoy best of both worlds

PS: Yesterday night, I just came to know that like millions of other Punjabis, I too have a relative living in the US (albeit a distant one). I'm gonna order the Clarion HU as soon as my distant relative firms up plans to come to India next (could be as early as in two months' time).
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 17:29   #318
BHPian

Not completely I guess -

The Clarion only reads FAT32 partitions and WinXP/Vista will make a maximum of a 32 GB partition natively. So, if you are using a bigger external HDD, you would need something like the tool below to format a larger drive in FAT32.

Download SwissKnife 3.22 - SwissKnife - create/format partitions in your hard drive - Softpedia

Read this in a forum somewhere I don't remember.

Last edited by the_maassk : 20th May 2009 at 17:30.
the_maassk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 17:41   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...I formatted my old 40 GB external HDD into FAT32 and plonked in around 30 GB of songs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maassk View Post
Not completely I guess -

The Clarion only reads FAT32 partitions and WinXP/Vista will make a maximum of a 32 GB partition natively. So, if you are using a bigger external HDD, you would need something like the tool below to format a larger drive in FAT32.

Download SwissKnife 3.22 - SwissKnife - create/format partitions in your hard drive - Softpedia

Read this in a forum somewhere I don't remember.
@the_maassk - Thanks for the link, however, if you read my quoted post, I obviosuly did format it into FAT32 before plugging it in. This issue has been discussed before as well. No HU accepts NTFS formatted external hard disks.

However, I used a simple and light application Fat32Formatter.exe for it.
Old 20th May 2009, 17:45   #320
BHPian

No sweat Nishant . Just remembered it from my archives and thought would share.

BTW - I am also a proud owner of the 785 and use an 80gigs drive with it

Last edited by the_maassk : 20th May 2009 at 17:47.
the_maassk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 19:43   #321
Senior - BHPian

I suppose it can play Apple lossless files off USB drive. Can anyone confirm on this?
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 20:32   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
I suppose it can play Apple lossless files off USB drive. Can anyone confirm on this?
Nopes, it does not play F/ALACs off USB or CD. Only through compatible iPods can you play these files.
Old 21st May 2009, 01:04   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Nopes, it does not play F/ALACs off USB or CD. Only through compatible iPods can you play these files.
Well, so there is at least one way to play lossless through this HU. Not bad, though direct FLAC/WAV through USB would be just great. I know too little about it, but I guess it may be using "USB digital media streaming" feature of HU for that, and it may be accepting any player (other than ipod too) which can support that (vaguely remember something like that mentioned in the manual).
More I know about this HU, more justified my choice seems to be!
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 14:20   #324
BHPian

I had a couple of questions about the HU since quite a few people have used this here.

1. Can this HU be used to active? What are the crossover settings and slopes like? What is the depth that they can be customised to?

2. Any difference in SQ when the same song is played from a CD and the HDD?

Mods, kindly move the thread if inappropriate.
wannabe loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 15:04   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Can this HU be used to active? What are the crossover settings and slopes like? What is the depth that they can be customised to?
Yes you can have 2way (tweeter - mid range/bass - rear speakers) 3-way (Tweeter - Mid bass - Sub)active setup with this HU

Quote:
2. Any difference in SQ when the same song is played from a CD and the HDD?
That someone else who has done a A to B comparison can answer.

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st May 2009 at 15:21.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 15:16   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
That someone else who has done a A to B comparison can answer.
I used to think that the 24 bit DAC is applicable only for CD. However, Frank corrected me. Since its the processing, it applies to all music irrespective of the source. Hence, the same song sounds the same whether through a CD or through USB. I have done this comparison many a times and can confirm the finding. Although, I'll be honest here - at times I felt that same track sounded better off a USB (only marginally)!

Ofcourse, the underlying premise is that you are playing a good quality mp3 on the USB and the same burnt as an audio track through a CD.
Old 21st May 2009, 15:38   #327
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I Frank corrected me. Since its the processing, it applies to all music irrespective of the source..
Frank missed his calling. Then again he might be the first dentist to have Wilson Audio and Krell to play the background music you hear while in his "chair".
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 17:47   #328
BHPian

Quote:
I used to think that the 24 bit DAC is applicable only for CD. However, Frank corrected me. Since its the processing, it applies to all music irrespective of the source. Hence, the same song sounds the same whether through a CD or through USB. I have done this comparison many a times and can confirm the finding. Although, I'll be honest here - at times I felt that same track sounded better off a USB (only marginally)!

Ofcourse, the underlying premise is that you are playing a good quality mp3 on the USB and the same burnt as an audio track through a CD.
Thanks Technocrat.

Hmm..I'm surprised that the song sounded better off the USB. Have you done a comparison between an original CD and the tracks ripped into WAVs rather than trying the same out with mp3s? mp3s hardly give u the correct impression no matter how good the quality of encoding is.

Besides, while playing tracks off a CD, there is no contact whatsoever whereas the USB does have wired contacts feeding the DACs. Or is that irrelevant?

Also Nishant, What's the equipment you use? And what format did you use to do the ABX?

Last edited by wannabe loser : 21st May 2009 at 17:50. Reason: One more minor question.
wannabe loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 11:51   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe loser View Post
Besides, while playing tracks off a CD, there is no contact whatsoever whereas the USB does have wired contacts feeding the DACs. Or is that irrelevant?
And how do you think the data reaches the DAC from the laser sensor through several error correction and recovery systems and the EFM decoder in an audio CD system? Magic?

It's all digital until the DAC and as long as it isn't running parallel to high tension wires in your local electrical substation, it doesn't matter.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 25th May 2009 at 11:55.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 15:04   #330
BHPian

I almost this Hu from amazon, however just before making the payment it was working out to be $185 so I stopped, I guess it would be too expensive for me at that price. john got it for $154 few days back, so I have to check with from where he has got it.

In the meantime, can somesome share with me the difference between a 785 and 585 HU ?

PS : btw, I am targeting sub 20K ICE.

Last edited by Shashank.A : 26th May 2009 at 15:14.
Shashank.A is offline   Reply With Quote