Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 14th June 2009, 01:09   #391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post

Yes, KMD's quotes have become humongous of late. At $140, he quoted around INR 11.5k to someone.
Well he quoted me the same rate relating to $149 price of the HU.
jithudigitised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2009, 09:34   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Oops I meant I haven't found out how to browse folders & like Nishant said it seems it isnt possible
You can browse through folders by using P.CH button upward/downward. It is supposed to work for subfolders too upto 8-levels of depth, beyond which it is not supported. However, I have personally tried only with a single level USB drive so far, and it works!
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2009, 10:44   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
You can browse through folders by using P.CH button upward/downward. It is supposed to work for subfolders too upto 8-levels of depth, beyond which it is not supported. However, I have personally tried only with a single level USB drive so far, and it works!
Subfolders upto 8 depth or total 8 folders in a pendrive?

Edit: Can these be browsed off remote or not?
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2009, 12:15   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Santosh, yes i know that the folders can be changed one after the other by the P.CH button.
My question was can one browse through the LIST of folders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Subfolders upto 8 depth or total 8 folders in a pendrive?

Edit: Can these be browsed off remote or not?
Subfolders upto 8 depth.
Nope you can't change folders from the remote.
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2009, 12:37   #395
BHPian

Panky, It is 8 levels of depth in directory structure, not total number of directories (which would be ridiculous in my opinion).
More technical details about various file-systems, directory structures and encoders/files supported can be found here: http://www.clarion.com/us/en/files/p...2008/Cover.pdf

In that table, total number of files that can be played from CD are mentioned as 512510, but it is actually 510 as mentioned in the user's manual, otherwise average size of files would need to be squeezed to something like 1.4KB if they are to be burned into a single CD. From USB it can support 1,30,560 files, max 512 folders with max 255 files per folder though.

@live2drive, no me too haven't figured out a way to see a LIST of directories as such.
You can set name of current folder as an option in display schemes, so it is close to what you are looking for. No?
The remote should have had an equivalent of P.CH buttons, it is so unfortunate/silly that it doesn't!

Last edited by santosh.s : 14th June 2009 at 12:46.
Old 14th June 2009, 13:32   #396
BHPian

Quote:
You can set name of current folder as an option in display schemes, so it is close to what you are looking for. No?
Yes, but then one will lose out on track name display.
Old 14th June 2009, 14:55   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I paid a total of $112 for my 785

Ironically unlike others I wasnt looking for a SQ HU, all I wanted was a HU with USB & that should have features similar if not more than my Pio 5750 lol

Read this & other threads and ordered it from Amazon.

Its truly an amazing HU
Hey Techno, am sorry if I'm asking this question again, but did you pay any customs duty for Amazon.com purchase? Thinking of ordering myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithudigitised View Post
Well he quoted me the same rate relating to $149 price of the HU.
Yeah man i was quoted 12.5k for this price!
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2009, 15:42   #398
BHPian

Guys mostly taking a plunge and ordering the Clarion 785 online as none of my people are coming down from the US. Can anyone guide me to the best price where i can get it now.. i.e. Amazon,sonic electronics? Searched in Amazon but got only a 221$ price link. People who have purchased the 785 from online direct shipment to India please help me out as i am planning an HU upgrade for my car.
redrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2009, 15:45   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Guys mostly taking a plunge and ordering the Clarion 785 online as none of my people are coming down from the US. Can anyone guide me to the best price where i can get it now.. i.e. Amazon,sonic electronics? Searched in Amazon but got only a 221$ price link. People who have purchased the 785 from online direct shipment to India please help me out as i am planning an HU upgrade for my car.
Ordering from them and getting it directly shipped to India will attract a lot of custom duty (around 40% of the product value).

Sonicelectronix.com are offering the Clarion @ 150$. Shipping extra.
Old 14th June 2009, 15:53   #400
Senior - BHPian

Let me remind everyone that there's a good chance the HU could get damaged in shipping.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2009, 15:55   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post

Sonicelectronix.com are offering the Clarion @ 150$. Shipping extra.
Shipping on sonic electronix says 60$ to 90$! (depending on which service) so taking the least shipping it comes to 210$ so again 40% customs duty on that!!! so that's close to 300$. Dont think its worth spending 15k then. Problem is don't have anyone coming over as well. I gotta rethink now.
redrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2009, 16:29   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Yes, but then one will lose out on track name display.
Not necessarily, it depends on which one of the 3 display modes you are using (changed by long press of TITLE button). In "Title" mode, it shows 2 lines of information and again you can choose one of many combinations available (changed by short press of TITLE button) and one of them DOES allow you to display song name on one line and the folder on the other. Does that sound good enough? I think so!
Old 14th June 2009, 18:29   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Not necessarily, it depends on which one of the 3 display modes you are using (changed by long press of TITLE button). In "Title" mode, it shows 2 lines of information and again you can choose one of many combinations available (changed by short press of TITLE button) and one of them DOES allow you to display song name on one line and the folder on the other. Does that sound good enough? I think so!
I guess i missed out on something. Thanks for sharing.
Old 14th June 2009, 19:00   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Shipping on sonic electronix says 60$ to 90$! (depending on which service) so taking the least shipping it comes to 210$ so again 40% customs duty on that!!! so that's close to 300$. Dont think its worth spending 15k then. Problem is don't have anyone coming over as well. I gotta rethink now.
Your calculation is a bit off mate. My calculation shows an amount nearing 12.5k if we order from sonic electronix. Please check out 85191000,Coin-or disc-operated record-players Import & Custom Duty Calculator. for a hang of how much duty it will attract.
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2009, 19:29   #405
BHPian

Guys don't order in internet unless you know much duty you have to pay.two weeks before i ordered an replacement neon fron USA it cost only 65$ i even asked the seller while paying to declare the value as 20$ but the seller didn't when the item arrived in the post office i was shocked to see the duty of the item was 1533inr nearly 50% duty for the item.for a 65$ item i paid 30$ duty and the worst part is the neon was broken in transit.
BAKIYA_2K12 is offline   Reply With Quote