Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 9th July 2009, 23:16   #481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
I am not a big fan of FM or anything, just that it feels so odd that a HU with quite a few advanced features can not be tuned into even channels
Hi Santosh, I think you can rephrase your sentence as ..."just that it feels so odd that a HU with quite a few advanced features has a FM receiver designed only to function in the US market"

I don't think its the HU's fault per se, more like Clarion's who overlooked enabling European (read even) frequencies into its FM receiver. But then, they launched 786 for the European market- so the blame at the end lies solely with us
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 23:45   #482
BHPian

I'm sorry, but how many people here bought the Clarion with a 24 bit DAC and MP3/WMA/WAV, USB and AUX capability to play FM?

Wait a minute who listens to FM anymore, I thought that was for Rickshaws and call center cabbies?!?
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 23:55   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post

Wait a minute who listens to FM anymore, I thought that was for Rickshaws and call center cabbies?!?
And who doesn't.
Let me assume. You don't have a CD / IPOD / USB or any such stuff which may be connected to the HU.

You need to drive for an hour or two and can't drive without music.
Won't you listen to FM ? If you listen to FM, does that make you a call centre cabby or a rickshaw-wala.

These generalized statements hold no value. Most people still prefer to listen to FM even on Audio worth 1 lakh or even more. And this i'm saying on the basis of a personal experience. There was a guy who had 1.2 lakhs worth of ICE and used to listen to FM.

I agree the quality is no where near but that doesn't mean it is not meant to be heard to.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 00:17   #484
BHPian

Ok even i have ordered the Clarion 785. Bangalore users of clarion 785, other than 104 FM can the clarion tune other frequencies (odd) easily?.

I do listen to FM 50% of the time.
redrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 00:17   #485
BHPian

very well said abhinav , i think that most of the times when you have no specific mood to play any specific track or cd you just shift on to fm to listen whatever is playing on to,i don't think there is a better way to while off time than to listen to fm while driving.
mustang89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 00:22   #486
BHPian

Quote:
I'm sorry, but how many people here bought the Clarion with a 24 bit DAC and MP3/WMA/WAV, USB and AUX capability to play FM?

Hi DocG, I listen to FM purely to stay informed of latest music doing the charts. My favorite station in Delhi are 104 and 95 FM and I listen to FM for 20-30% of my total listening in a week. From FM, i figure out the latest music I need to acquire in the better quality format.

In any case, one can't listen to music critically all the time! Sometimes one should just allow oneself to enjoy the music!
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 00:28   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Ok even i have ordered the Clarion 785. Bangalore users of clarion 785, other than 104 FM can the clarion tune other frequencies (odd) easily?.

I do listen to FM 50% of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang89 View Post
very well said abhinav , i think that most of the times when you have no specific mood to play any specific track or cd you just shift on to fm to listen whatever is playing on to,i don't think there is a better way to while off time than to listen to fm while driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
Hi DocG, I listen to FM purely to stay informed of latest music doing the charts. My favorite station in Delhi are 104 and 95 FM and I listen to FM for 20-30% of my total listening in a week. From FM, i figure out the latest music I need to acquire in the better quality format.

In any case, one can't listen to music critically all the time! Sometimes one should just allow oneself to enjoy the music!
Doc see. Putting out generalized statements just because you might not listen to it is not the right way to go.

There are many guys who prefer FM more than CDs and all. And i'm sure there will be many thousands on team-bhp itself.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 01:59   #488
Senior - BHPian

Well it all boils down to personal choice whether one would like to listen to FM or not. Prior to installing my 785 I was listening on stock HU but with added advantage of Kicker EQ I could tune it to get better quality out of the FM.
785 was mainly build for US market and not for asian countries. They came up with 786 for asian market with FM that can be tuned for it. I mainly bought 785 for it's sound quality along with price advantage I was getting against going for 786 and others. I started this thread in context to 786 and other players but as I realised I can get 785 at almost half the price of 786 I decided to go for it not thinking once whether I can play all channels from FM or not.

Well in anycase almost all of us listen to FM sometimes atleast. But how important is that over the features like 24bit DAC, TA, the clean natural sound it plays and the price advantage. It's not that it doesn't play FM at all. I am able to listen and stored 6 channels against 8. I guess that's good enough. It did take me sometime to get them but the frequency is better than it was in stock. Incase one is looking to have complete list of FM channel that can be played go in for 786 or others mentioned at the start of this thread. If the SQ is not good enough reason to buy against some FM channel it cant play than I suppose one should seriously consider this before going ahead with the purchase.
As of now I am enjoying shuffling the CD's and listening to those FM channel in peak hour traffic.
In the end what are you mainly looking out or what feature in more important to you from your purchase is the question one should be asking himself.

DOCG@ Each one of us has their own preferences, am sure you are one of those who would love to make the best out of your purchase, just like everyone here does in their own way.

Cheers !
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 10:22   #489
BHPian

@greenhorn, I am no way blaming Clarion as such. I knew very well BEFORE making the purchase that xx5 models are for US market and xx6 models are their counterparts for European/Asian market. But I also had a hope that there may be a way to switch it to 50KHz steps, just like many other Clarion HUs allow, but that turned out to be false. That's all about it. I was aware of the fact that in the worst case I will have to sacrifice even channels (which is luckily a small percentage of total channels), and I can easily live with that.

Regarding, sound quality, I personally don't think it is so bad. In my experience, many "bad" 128kbps mp3's sound worse than FM. I guess these days tuners found in cell-phones or mid-end to high-end home/car equipments offer quite a good quality of reception because technically they all utilize PLL synthesizer tuning and some way of multi-path correction. If you think about old styled analog tuners or Rs. 100/- roadside tuners (which are mostly mono, not even stereo) then yes, quality can be labeled "pathetic", but not otherwise.
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 12:07   #490
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well the right question is had so many people bought this HU if it did all that & did not play Radio at all?

Also the last I knew almost all of the high end HUs did have Radio.

Quote:
This is the most ridiculous statement I have ever read in the ICE section.

Yes I & others do listen to radio to catch up on new songs, some time pass & other happenings in city every now & then.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 12:12   #491
Senior - BHPian

i have a head unit that costs upwards of 40 k and i, like most people, STILL listen to fm radio many times, so the argument of having a Clarion or any other unit with a 24 bit DAC etc etc etc is quite not valid!
every single journey i make is not like a trip to the ultimate SQ. the reason why one spends so much time, effort and money is to listen to music and not keep benchmarking their system with high quality tracks! thats not a music lover, that's an ICE lover then!

anyways, i totally believe that FM stations play good music but do get chatty at times. then again, MPR-999 has its myriad uses, a flick to the next station does the job. If FM stations are for cabbies and rickshaws, then 99% of the Indian population comes under that section.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 12:26   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I dont understand your logic. From your profile, it seems you have lived in Mumbai. How can you then overlook the importance of FM station in this city?

Just yesterday evening, when it was pouring cats and dogs, FM saved my day. I started from Fort to go to Wadala. Had I not switched on FM, I would have never known the points of traffic jams and water logging on my way.

I have the Clarion and definitely tune into FM every once a while. Not only is a refreshing change but also makes me aware of new music/tracks/latest news.

Going by your analogy, yes, I am a rickshaw guy right?

What a flawed analogy...

OT - AFAIK, even rickshaw guys have stopped listening to FM nowadays. All of them have 'decks' installed that usually blare out the latest Bollywood hits. So does that graduate them to our level or what?
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 13:30   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
So does that graduate them to our level or what?
In this case, they would not need clarion yaar. TA is not needed in a autorickshaw if the front soundstage is good and there are are no subs installed.
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 13:33   #494
BHPian

That was a bad statement made!!!

Well anyways, cool down my friends, lets get back to the topic.
shreyasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 14:36   #495
BHPian

cool down guys!!
anyways now that i have ordered 785 and i do listen to fm and in Delhi only 3 channels are on odd frequencies,out of 11,is there any equipment which can help my 785 play the fm without taking its price to that of 786.
mustang89 is offline   Reply With Quote