Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 15th July 2009, 16:33   #556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
You can invoke the speaker configuration anytime. Just press the 'OPTION' button anytime and enter the speaker setup menu.
I knew that, what I intend to find out was whether it brings our attention to speaker configuration and gives us a chance to set things right before playing anything, following every power down.

Quote:
Is it? But then you also need compatible speakers to configure your system that ways na? AFAIK, all wires are color coded and you cannot change speaker configuration on the fly just through the HU. It might damage your speakers.
You are right, but if you really know what all crossover related settings are programmed and what is connected to what, you can judiciously make use of different configurations without really changing any physical connections. For example I have switched to 3-way mode from normal earlier. So, front-rear-sub channels now get mapped to hi-mid-sub respectively. I am using "hi" HPFed at 80 to drive compos (which further use their passive crossovers as before). mid wires are anyway unconnected as I don't have rear fills. Sub functionality doesn't change between two modes. I agree that it is bit weird, like you don't get slope/phase setting in normal mode, s/w volume in 2-way mode and fader in 3-way mode (I am not saying there is something wrong, it is logical as per their design philosophy/intended use). And more importantly, it may get more complicated and not be of much use if you have rear-fills, if not you can "exploit" it like I did!
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 16:55   #557
Senior - BHPian

whats the correct way of setting up TA in this? i'm sure this's gonna be a tutorial for 785 users as the manual is pathetic!
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 17:13   #558
Distinguished - BHPian

err what do you mean?

In My case Ajay had measured distance from the center of each speaker to the Driver(car's driver I mean ). Then entered the distance for TA. I have written down those number so that even if they get reset I can easily set it up again
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 17:24   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
err what do you mean?

In My case Ajay had measured distance from the center of each speaker to the Driver(car's driver I mean ). Then entered the distance for TA. I have written down those number so that even if they get reset I can easily set it up again
Preciously what I did.. but the results are NOT good. Did you put the figures for both the front speakers or just one that is far from the drivers ear?
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 17:36   #560
BHPian

My question is related too - for the front components, where were the distances measured from? The mid-bass component speaker center, or somewhere midway between the tweeter component and mid bass speaker?
the_maassk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 17:45   #561
BHPian

In my experience, adjusting front speakers is pretty easy job to do by using ears. Farther speaker should have a distance more than the other one by amount equal to the difference in physical distances. You can judge the settings by "placing" main singer's voice (which is usually at the center) to an appropriate place (logically in front of you).

In case of subwoofer, it is bit difficult. Delay caused by electrical LPF in amp, if any, and so called group delay of the sub itself may be very high, making actual distance to be programmed significantly higher than physical distance. This extra delay is even worse for ported subs as compared to sealed ones, and I have read somewhere that many TA systems wouldn't even have enough range to accommodate them! In case of main speakers, these things should get canceled out, with a fair assumption that both left and right speakers/crossovers are identical.
Old 15th July 2009, 17:48   #562
Senior - BHPian

Panky ji.
You have to enter the distance from your ears.

For Front Right Delay - Distance b/w you and right mid bass
For Front Left Delay - Distance b/w you and left mid bass
For Sub Delay - Distance b/w you and sub.

I hope you don't use the rears too much!
Or you may do the same for the rear.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 18:07   #563
Senior - BHPian

As long as one knows at what XO point the it's drivers can play there is nothing wrong with running them with HU's XO under '3way'.
I have my front comps running under ''Hi'' with HPF at 50hz at 12db slope.
The rear coax are acting only as fillers with mids. Running them in "MID" section with HPF at 125hz and LPF at 6300hz at 12dp slope. At this point it adds little more airness and depth in vocals coming of the front.
The sub is running under sub section with HPF set as THROUGH and LPF at 63hz at 12db.

I have TA'd both front and rear, din't use any measuretape, just trusted my ears. I noticed adding TA on Left side speaker by 32.2cms and leaving the right side with zero brought in more center stage.
If i would have to calculate PLD of front left to right, I would consider the midbass as point source as it plays freq. from 50hz to 3200hz. But dint feel the need to do so.
For TA on the rear coax, the front were put to off and the TA was set for them. With SUB set at 'zero'.

Next time i tried to add TA on both Front left and right side comp in order to have the lows from sub more upfront. Where the front left was kept at 58cms and the right was kept at 29.9cms. This did make a good difference in blending of the sub with the fronts. But I noticed loosing on some high frequency and on mids but the lows was more upfront coming of the doors.

As of now i have switched back to my previous setting.

Can't wait for my new sub now.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 18:12   #564
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Preciously what I did.. but the results are NOT good. Did you put the figures for both the front speakers or just one that is far from the drivers ear?
All 4 speakers Plus sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maassk View Post
My question is related too - for the front components, where were the distances measured from? The mid-bass component speaker center, or somewhere midway between the tweeter component and mid bass speaker?
Tweeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Panky ji.
You have to enter the distance from your ears.

For Front Right Delay - Distance b/w you and right mid bass
For Front Left Delay - Distance b/w you and left mid bass
For Sub Delay - Distance b/w you and sub.

I hope you don't use the rears too much!
Or you may do the same for the rear.
Eggzactly
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 18:41   #565
BHPian

I would suggest following method, for 2.1 setup without rear fills:

1. You can leave setting for the closest speaker (front right) to zero. It need not be necessarily set.

2. Switch off sub (can be done through HU itself), and keep increasing delay for front left until you think image is centered in front of you.

3. Switch the sub back on, set balance to extreme right and extreme left while increasing both sub left/right distance until you feel like bass is upfront and sub blends the best. Depending upon the accuracy of your judgments, both times you should get roughly the same value because fronts are already TAed.

Then if you cross check with physical distances, you will find that front right setting turns out to be pretty close to actual difference between right and left mid. But for sub, it is considerably more than physical difference between sub and front right mid (due to reasons mentioned before).

I guess for rear fills, one can appropriately follow similar steps using fader control and align each one of them with respect to front right speaker (the reference). Adding or subtracting a fixed value from all channels should not make any difference at all, that is why closest speaker can be left at zero.
Old 15th July 2009, 20:02   #566
BHPian

OK, So here is what I have (Finally):

Clarion DXZ 785 USB.
Rainbow SLG Components.
ID 12" CTX in a sealed box.
Kenwood 8401 amp.
Dynamat Extreme: 2 doors, rear parcel tray and boot.

Car: Indigo CS LS TDI

Result: Sweet!

Next Upgrade:
1. Rainbow Soundline 3 way kick.
2. Genesis Profile 4 amp.
3. Damping entire floor (or may be transferring the whole setup into a ICE oriented car)
4. Bluetooth kit + steering mounted controls.
kumargandharva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 20:15   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumargandharva View Post
(or may be transferring the whole setup into a ICE oriented car)
Like that Jaquar sanitary ware ad, wherein the lady says "build a home around this" you can as well say "design a car around this"

BTW, how much did you splurge?
Old 15th July 2009, 20:28   #568
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Gandharva.
How about pics et all in the show - off section.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 22:50   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Like that Jaquar sanitary ware ad, wherein the lady says "build a home around this" you can as well say "design a car around this"

BTW, how much did you splurge?
About 50k (Initial budget was 25k (Got Kenwood 6043+MTX Comps+MTX Sub). The result was terrible. So had no choice but to head northwards on the stairway to ICE heaven. Seems its my first step though!

Looking for someone selling a used genesis amp or rainbow germanium/soundline kick components.

@ abhinav: Will be posting pics by this sunday evening.

Last edited by kumargandharva : 15th July 2009 at 22:51.
kumargandharva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 09:30   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
All 4 speakers Plus sub

Tweeter

Eggzactly
You've left me confused again! In response to my post you said 'Tweeter' and in response to Abhinav's post you said 'Eggzactly' (where Abhinav mentions distance to mid-bass). Pray clarify? (or maybe I'll spend an hour and my ears' perception this weekend).
the_maassk is offline   Reply With Quote